Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Phone Connection

• 20-09-2005 9:36am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭

so, we are trying to get broadband in our new college house, but im trying to find out if we are in a broadband available area, and since there's no phone connection in our house for us to test, if we can get it.

i know its €122 for the installation, but theres no point on installing the line, if we then cant get broadband.

so, can a general area, like an estate, be tested for broadband?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

where is the house?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

As it's going to be used by a few people (you said "we" :) ) you'd be better off getting a package with better upload. 2 people using the connection at once will NOT be nice on 128k upload.

Have a look at Metro if you're in the city (dublin) or at NTL if you're in the 2 estates that are enabled for BB ;)

*awaits your reply about location*

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

unfortunatly, i live in carlow. the address is xx southern gardens.

and im fairly sure only eircomm and esat and are available in carlow at the moment. smart is supposed to be coming soon, but dunno when.

basically im hoping i can play games, ie wow and eve, and we are gonna try keep downloading to a minimum.

Kiith wrote:
    im hoping i can play games ... we are gonna try keep downloading to a minimum.

Well if you intent to play games, then 128k upload will seriously impact your experience while others are using it.
    Have you any experience with networks, or servers on networks? Preferably Linux of some sort?
    If so, it could provide each person on the network with a guaranteed minimum connection speed that wouldn't hamper anyone else using the connection at the time.

But again, 128k will NOT be nice (I know, as does almost everyone else on this forum :), from experience) while in use by more than one person.

I'm not sure of the broadband providers in Carlow though, sorry I can't help you with that one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Kiith wrote:
    unfortunatly, i live in carlow. the address is xx xxxxxxx xxxxxxxx.

Hey man, edit yer post to remove your address. You might get some nasty people arriving on your door, just for fun...

• Advertisement

i have some experience with networks, so i could help. but we are only doing linux networks now, so i might need a hand with it.

as for my address, ya, will edit it a bit. and any nasty people who plan nasty things, can you wait till i get home :)

am i allowed to bump this??

(and yes, i realise i have done so by replying)

im kinda desperate......3 weeks without WoW now :mad:

Have you tried ringing Esat to see if there are houses in your Estate that have BB? (they'll tell you if there are or not, but won't tell you who)

Odds are that if your estate has a BB enabled house, then you'll be fine for it too.

Aren't Eircom able to test lines that are disconnected? Are they physically disconnected (as in, the cables are removed from the box at the end of the road), or just set as inactive in a computer system?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

When I moved into my house in Naas there were phone sockets throughout the house. I rang Eircom to test for broadband. They said that they would have to connect the line before they could test. Because it was only a software switch [or whatever] as the lines were already in place, I think they only charged my €25.

But I did have to get the line activated before BB could be tested as pass or fail. It passed in my case :)

After the initial phone call, my line was active within a few hours.

ya, i was thinking of trying to ring them and test another house in the estate. also tried finding another number myself and doing the line test, but i couldnt get one. i tried using some 05991 (carlow) numbers in my college accomodation list, but im not too sure if the numbers are the house numbers, or the landlords number. might try ringing esat tomorrow.

they cant test the line in my house, since its a student house, and the landlord has never had a phone line in the house. he bought a few of them when the estate was built, and he's a very "bare necesities" kinda guy.

also, if i find im in a broadband enabled area, can i deal directly with esat to get a phone connection installed, or do i need to go to eircomm first?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

As far as I know, Eircom are installing lines for free now so you may as well get one and wait for a month and see if it passes the test. If not, disconnect it, which I believe is free too. BT has a lot of trouble selling their own services without losing application forms 15 times, so I wouldn't involve them in something that Eircom can deal with directly.

Advertisement