Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Makes A Good Press Release ?

• 20-09-2005 10:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭

Any tips on what should be contained in a press release to grab the readers attention?

Bullet point suggestions appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

depends on who the target readers are and the points your getting across I guess.
    Is this for your online magazine store?
    If its something about that, make sure you include a brief history of the business at the end of the press release.
    Dont forget all your contact details - website address, email, phone no, contact person.
    Try and "sell" whatever it is your writing about. This will make the reader talk to others about it / get journalists to write about it.
    A interesting headline is always a good idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

Cheers Whiskeyman..... yes it is.

I have something done, but just want to cover off all bases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

- Is it news? Don't issue a press release everytime you open up the office. Chose the products or events carefully that you think are worth publicising. People get tired of reading press release after release that just aren't news.
    - Keep it to a page if possible
    - Include contact details for somebody who can field further questions.
    - Good headline that explains at a glance what the release is about
    - Write it they way you would read a newspaper article
    - Always include a quotation from a relevant person in your organisation - newspapers always like a quote and it makes it look like the journalist did an interview.
    - Sometimes it's a good idea to put the "about you" information outside of the text of the release as a "Note to editors". They can then use the info if they wish.
    - Distribute it wisely - try and develop a mailing list of people who will be interested e.g. all business editors, car journalists
    - Try and foster relationships with these people so they "know you" when the release comes through. Don't hassle them if they release does no where.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

BrianD wrote:
    - Write it they way you would read a newspaper article
    I think this is important.
    I've seen so many articles in newspapers being straight copies of the press releases, with perhaps the first or last line changed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Mr Scoop

i always find dinner at Chapter One makes me more interested in a press release

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

What makes a good press release?

1. Brevity: get to the point quickly, make it and go. If sending by e-mail, DON'T use an attachment. Put a headline in the message header. Don't just put in the word 'Press Release'. Like that'll really stand out in a journalist's mail box.

2 Relevance (A): send it to the sort of outlet (print/broadcast or Web) that has a better than 50 per cent chance of actually being interested in it. Fur Trader weekly does not want to hear about your latest bottle-washing widget. Suddeutsche Zeitung will turn a blind eye to announcements of new jobs for Termonfeckin

3 Relevance (B): send it to the right recipient at the right outlet. The sports desk ain't going to want to hear about your daughter's impending nuptials, unless she's captained a winning camogie team. If you're going to be sending releases regularly, there will be certain titles in your area of interest that will be of particular importance. Get to know them, get to know the people on them and their areas of interest. (That's sometimes worth the outlay of a meal in Chapter One, or even a few pints in somewhere less salubrious). It saves you a lot of time and frustration later on.

4) Tact: Ask any journalist ANY journalist what is the most annoying thing they have to face and they will tell you it's taking calls from PR bunnies asking 'Did you get my press release?' (If any journalists has a stronger pet hate I would love to know what it is. Do tell if you disagree)
    'Was it an e-mail? did it bounce? then I got it. Now go away. '

Much better to ring up before hand and get the necessary details. You only have to do this once. Or at least only when journalists or editors move on from titles. Journalists will usually make time to tell you the most efficient way to contact them, whether there's a special e-mail address for press releases. After that, if it's good, it will get in. Otherwise, don't expect a critique for why it didn't. Journalists have to look at a lot of these things every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 785 ✭✭✭zenith

Mr Scoop wrote:
    i always find dinner at Chapter One makes me more interested in a press release

My old mentor gave me a sure-fire way of dealing with such knotty ethical issues: "Stun them with your ingratitude", he suggested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

smiaras wrote:
    This post has been deleted.

I can do that I suppose, if the offer is there.

Maybe towards the middle of next week, I have some radio air time booked for early October, with some street activity, so would like to send out PR early next week.

If someone wants to volunteer to throw their critical eye over it, I can PM it to them in the meantime.

Thanks for interest. Much appreciated.

Advertisement