Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL + Linksys Router + Bittorrent ?

• 20-09-2005 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    anyone have this setup?
    Getting NTL BB next week, and want to make sure the router I purchase (WRT54G) can be configured to allow bittorrent.
    Can someone post config settings?

GarLad

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭UberNewb

garlad wrote:
    Hi,
    anyone have this setup?
    Getting NTL BB next week, and want to make sure the router I purchase (WRT54G) can be configured to allow bittorrent.
    Can someone post config settings?

GarLad

I would recommend getting the WRT54GP2 as it has 2 phone lines built into it. This means you can get rid of your phoneline and use blueface.ie. Anyway its up to you. Opening the ports is very easy see my screenshot below.

You can call the application anything you want. Azureu1 and Azureu2 are for bittorrent.

Port 6881 is the default bittorrent port for public torrents and Port 50505 is for my private torrents

?action=view&current=ports.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭dam099

UberNewb wrote:
    I would recommend getting the WRT54GP2 as it has 2 phone lines built into it. This means you can get rid of your phoneline and use blueface.ie. Anyway its up to you. Opening the ports is very easy see my screenshot below.

You can call the application anything you want. Azureu1 and Azureu2 are for bittorrent.

Port 6881 is the default bittorrent port for public torrents and Port 50505 is for my private torrents

?action=view&current=ports.jpg

I have a WRT54G and I agree if I were to buy again I would probably go for the WRT54GP2, as I now have two boxes, the WRT54G and a Sipura 2100 where one would have done. If you are sure you will never use VOIP it is overkill but if you think it is at all likely you may use VOIP it might be worth getting.

If you d/l more than one torrent simultaneously you need to open up additional ports 6882, 6883 etc. You can set a range e.g. 6881-688x where x is the max no. of torrents you think you might ever have going simultaneously.

dam099 wrote:
    If you d/l more than one torrent simultaneously you need to open up additional ports 6882, 6883 etc. You can set a range e.g. 6881-688x where x is the max no. of torrents you think you might ever have going simultaneously.

dam099 is correct about opening more than one port on some bittorrent clients. The bittorrent client that I use (Azureus) only needs to have one port opened for all torrents.

Here's a handy link for anyone wanting to setup Port forwarding for different Routers and different Applications Portforward.com

and for the OP here's a Link to the Linksys WRT54G Router

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭garlad

Thanks for all the advice UberNewB and dam099!
    You have convinced me to buy the WRT54GP2! Might give blueface a go for a month. Maybe even if NTL goes down the VOIP route at some stage, I could use NTL for TV, BB, and Phone, and this router will not become redundant?
    Also thanks for info on port forwarding! I also see from your link UberNewB how to assign a static IP which I presume I will need to do also for torrents to work through the router.

• Advertisement

garlad wrote:
    I also see from your link UberNewB how to assign a static IP which I presume I will need to do also for torrents to work through the router.

You should do it, or every time your internal IP address changes you'll be modifing your Port forwarding rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭XT_Dweezil

I had NTL BB (3mb), Linksys WRT54G and Torrents running without any problems. Just make sure that you do a port forward

I used both Bittornado and BitComet without any problems.

Advertisement