Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next FF leader...

Options
  • 20-09-2005 1:25pm

...may have been done before.

Anyway, looks to me like Martin's star has waned since the highs of the smoking ban, Cowen has the ability but FF did the Midlands thing with Reynolds, Dermot Ahern was mentioned in some quarters but may be perceived as Bertie's sidekick.

Think Mary Hanafin would be a capable leader. I suspect FF won't be brave enough to do anything until Ahern decides he will go, but at this stage I think his leadership is a stick with which to beat the party, rather than a vote getter.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

She would make an excellant Taoiseach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 graphene

Prsonally i feel that the next leader will be M. Martin but only if FF win the next election and Bertie stays leader for another 6-8 years
    At the moment there is a certain backlash over the smoking ban from certain sectors (publicans etc. ) and that this resulted in m. martins "demotion" from health to transport, but after a few more years (probably after the next election) i think he will get a much more important post in the next re-shuffle to prepare him for the top job

If FF lose the next election Cowen will probably replace Bertie as party leader

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mickd

I don't think Martin will be the next leader. He was sent to enterprise & employment not transport. Could be Hanafin alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭Ray777

Unless a potential successor appears out of nowhere, I think Fianna Fail will be in a bit of trouble, when Bertie eventually goes. What Bertie should be doing, is grooming a potential successor. Otherwise, FF could go the same way as the British Tory party after Thatcher. At the moment, Brian Cowan looks like the best option, rather than Micheál Martin, whose star seems to have faded.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Diorraing

I don't think FF can possibly go the same way as the Tory Party, purely because all the talent in Irish Politics is in FF. If the best FG could throw up was Michael Noonan, they could even get Conor Lenihan in as taoiseach. god forbid. I wouldn't mind seeing Dermot Ahern or Mary Hanafin but Cowen and Martin must be red hot favorites.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

IMO the next leader is likely to be Brian Cowen. He is the most experienced and able. Mary Hanafin and Conor Lenihan may come into the picture in a number of years. Martin has lost his lustre, Cullen is useless and Dermot Ahern is just nice - too much like a "friendly uncle" :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭AndyWarhol

Francis Kiernan for FF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 graphene

AndyWarhol wrote:
    Francis Kiernan for FF

i think Avril Power may beat him to it!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

Conor Lenihan ? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Cowan is just too ugly - Imagine all the crashes that would be caused by that ugly mug on lamposts all round the country.

Dermot Ahern is still a possibility....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭dermo88

Cowen has a face on him that looks like a Monkfish in dire need of liposuction.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,424 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Martin? I don't think so. In his 5 years as Minister for Health he has sunk an absolute fortune of our hard-earned money into a bottomless pit with no improvement whatsoever

Agree it depends on when Bertie, King of Ireland, will decide to step down. If it is soon, my money would be on Cowen - few doubt his capabilities. If it is later, I have no idea. Ireland ready for a female leader yet? (and I don't mean President)

Perhaps the PDs will merge with FF and Mary Harney for Taoiseach :)

Edit: Oh and that was me presuming that leader of FF = Taoiseach. Can't really see it going any other way yet again...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Wex1

RainyDay wrote:
    Cowan is just too ugly - Imagine all the crashes that would be caused by that ugly mug on lamposts all round the country.

Oh yes, does anybody remeber the interview with Ysar Arafat on 9/11. Cowen was with him, all I could focus on was what the rest of the world was thinking of us. Superficial I know.

None of them at the moment very strong compared to Bertie, though a definite non FF supporter, you gotta see his charm to the masses and the way he has of sweet talking and looking innocent. Cowen couldn't ever do this, Martin maybe could - health was the old poison chalice for him. I'd love to see Mary Hanafin in there - but is there no one else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

Mary Hanafin shows promise ok, but an ex-teacher with the education ministry is not broad enough experience, a Taoiseach as leader of the country should ideally have finance and foreign affairs under their belt, so my money's on Cowen.

Advertisement