Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motorhome - Any ideas where to go??

• 20-09-2005 1:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭

I have just bought a motorhome and was wondering does any of ye have any recommended places to go in Ireland with it as i see that most of the camp site are closing down in September for the winter??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Hi sandyg,

Did you try google for motorhome clubs in the uk & ireland? They probably have lists of places and what months they operate.
    Also, did you try posting in the travel/holidays forum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭sandyg

Thanks that. Will post there as well. Im still getting use to the boards and the new changes (no heading saying new posts) and having to search for everything :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭Paul (MN)

www.camping-ireland.ie lists the major sites and their open dates.
    PM me if you want info.

I'll be heading to Killarney in October.

Also you don't need a campsite if you can find somewhere reasonably safe to wild-camp!

Thanks. I notice that most of the camping site are closing in September as well. Is there anywhere to go during the autum/winter months in ireland???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭Paul (MN)

well there are a couple open here and there... otherwise it's wild-camping. I haven't done wild-camping myself yet but I would guess you have to:

- not park in a church car park on a Saturday night
    - not park in a pub car park
    - stay away from areas where there might be late night "yoof" gatherings of any kind. Unfortunately this probably includes beaches.

This isn't France you know! the industry does seem to shut down for the winter months.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

I'd prefer going wild myself. I once turned up at the campsite in Doolin in February only to see a sign reading 'closed until April'. I still camp wild when I go down there but use the campsite showers. How long do your batteries last without a recharge?

Get two to three days use before having to start engine again. Use the gas for cooking, fridge etc. Only use electric for lighting. Went to Standhill in Sligo last week (wild camping) in carpark. Fab spot to wake up to see them surfing in front of you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Go to Achill - great caravan park in Keel and lots of nothing to do. Good pubs, scenery, fishing and sheep...

'cptr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭KoNiT

Beleek - Balina - Mayo, good site, play ground for kids, owner is very keen

Cong is OK, playground for kids, new mini golf course (dunno what its like)

Salthill sites are middling, best one is Bay view, it had free showers when I was there last year.

Carmac Valley Naas Road, Dublin is good, a bit pricey though. €30 + €1 for shower..

Lahinch - brutal - best off parking in the car park (seriously)

My Parents camped in Antrim / Derry during summer, said sites were pretty good, well serviced.

www.camping-ireland.ie does not have all the sites, check through the golden pages & when on site, ask around!!

Advertisement