Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

alfa romeo 156?good buy?

• 20-09-2005 1:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭

im looking at a used alfa romeo's 156's and a 166's 2000 for around 8k
    with about 52k milles,they seem decent value now as their expensive enough but with their deprication they seem like a good buy? around the same price as a 99 golf, ive heard theirs alot of trouble with 156's as far as breakdowns go etc but do you think their a good used car for around 8k?.

i know noting really about alfa's so any advice is appricated.
    cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Wait for it ..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

The 156s are trouble and just so you know, Jeremy Clarkson turned the clutch of a 166 to dust after ONE day at it's launch.

There you go ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

Mods - can we make a sticky for the 156 linking all of the threads? Also - where's the search facility gone ? I can't find the gazillion previous discussions on this topic.

Basically, yes the 156 is a great buy second hand.
    Things to watch out for:
    Make sure the timing belt has been changed, or better yet budget to change it yourself regardless once you get the car. Budget €800
    The variator weakens on TS engines making a diesel noise on startup - €??
    The mounting bushes go on the wishbones, meaning the whole wishbone needs to be replaced - symptoms are a knocking from the front suspension on bump rebound. Cost about €400

Good things:
    looks, handling, performance, value, engine note, specification, looks :)

Bad things:
    Attracts lots of idiotic comments (just watch this thread), poor economy if you drive them hard, V6 is nose heavy, small boot opening, eats bulbs.
    The estate carries no more luggage than the saloon, but can hold a dog.

Recommend:
    156 2.0TS or JTD with leather and a full service history. Preferably in Nuvola pearlescent paint.

Avoid:
    166 - it's pig ugly and heavy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

They are the same as every car on the road - buy a good one and it will be fine, buy a bad one and you will hate it forever. I've driven several and if you like the quirky cabin layout then they are great cars. The Sportwagon is not a good choice as an estate car due to its loadbay size but the saloons are well built and as reliable as anything. The 2.5 V6 is a serious proposition and quite rare but comes with all the toys, I've driven the 3.0 V6 166 to 140mph and would rank it highly apart from the interior ergonomics. 8k buys a lot of car at the age you are thinking - drive several and try to find the best example. Don't buy the 166 unless you plan to keep it forever as your 8k will be worth 3k in a year or so.

As for Clarkson, the big gheyboy gave back his Ford GT because of an alarm fault and I have killed clutches in Mercs and Volvos without trying so who is to say? I'm currently driving a '96 155 with interstellar mileage and it has never broken down. Never. I pulled a caravan at 80mph with it, towed a Land Cruiser back from Scotland with it and every weekend it carries cement, timber and building supplies without complaining.

'c

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bmoferrall

So thats what that is - I shall continue to ignore it...
    Preferably in Nuvola pearlescent paint.
    Oh no - not the ugliest 'flip' in the history of p1ss-coloured paint. Avoid!

'c

I think the 166 is beautiful, it doesn't have the 'big fat lump' look other cars in its bracket have.

As for pearlescent paint, I wouldn't go for that, I think it is rank, and I would imagine you can double the price of any repair work.

Clarkeson also dropped the gearbox on a Jaguar XJ220! Does that mean no-one should every buy any Jag, ever again!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

I'm currently driving a '96 155 with interstellar mileage and it has never broken down. Never. I pulled a caravan at 80mph with it, towed a Land Cruiser back from Scotland with it and every weekend it carries cement, timber and building supplies without complaining.

80mph? Where on earth did you do that?

Cavman - make sure the Alfalfa you buy has not been fitted with a tow-bar as you have no idea what the car might have been through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,136 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

you cannot get a better equiped or looking car for 8k, i have mine for 8 months now, im looking to change it but the only reason is that i want a faster car and i havent ruled out going for the v6 156.

Like all cars do your research and try buy from someone who isnt completely car illiterate, they arent the cheapest car to run and i think thats where a lot of problems started, a lot of former mondeo/vectra owners went for the 156 when it came out but skimped on regular services which led to engines starved of oil etc

id say go for it and enjoy it, dont listen to anyone who either :

a) drives a toyota corolla and sees a car as a means of transport only or

b) has never driven one

Alas this thread is likely to be filled by comments from people who have 'heard' they are unreliable from friends in the 'business' :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bmoferrall

Seriously, though

Yeah, what happened to the search facility :confused: ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭nellieswellies

I think I got the actual variator for €160 ( I think that was trade though), typically if its gone when they go to do the timing belt its probably best to get it sorted then, I did at about 45K miles along with a service and it cost about €550 (with a mechanic)

You do need to check your oil between services though just to be safe.

Oh no - not the ugliest 'flip' in the history of p1ss-coloured paint. Avoid!
    You need to be very sure of your sexuality to get away with it, but I think it is the business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

I posted a similar thread to this in January, do a search and you will find it. Basically. I found that people who had never driven one, said they were bad cars, unreliable etc. Anyone I asked who had driven one said they were fine. I bought the car and so far am more then happy with it. Having said that there was only 26K up on mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Mods - can we make a sticky for the 156 linking all of the threads? Also - where's the search facility gone ? I can't find the gazillion previous discussions on this topic.

Basically, yes the 156 is a great buy second hand.
    Things to watch out for:
    Make sure the timing belt has been changed, or better yet budget to change it yourself regardless once you get the car. Budget €800
    The mounting bushes go on the wishbones, meaning the whole wishbone needs to be replaced - symptoms are a knocking from the front suspension on bump rebound. Cost about €400

Good things:
    looks, handling, performance, value, engine note, specification, looks :)

Bad things:
    Attracts lots of idiotic comments (just watch this thread), poor economy if you drive them hard, V6 is nose heavy, small boot opening, eats bulbs.
    The estate carries no more luggage than the saloon, but can hold a dog.

Recommend:
    156 2.0TS or JTD with leather and a full service history. Preferably in Nuvola pearlescent paint.

Avoid:
    166 - it's pig ugly and heavy

I have had my 1600cc 156 Sportivo for over a year and a half now, and have had very few problems with it - apart from a few bulbs blowing (though no more often than my previous car, a mark IV golf).

The depreciation is a killer, but only if you buy at the wrong time - otherwise it works in your favour because you get a super car for a great price. I tried to sell mine for a long while, and then realised I just liked the car too much to give someone else a bargain at my expense.

According to the statistics, they are not reliable but the vast majority of owners I have spoken to have not had this experience. My father has had a 2.0 one since 1998 (pretty much when it first came out) and has had no problems.

The interior is nice, especially when you compare it to what you would get in other cars under 10K. Here is a picture of my dash - as you can probably tell, all the dials are pointed solely towards the driver, as it is really no-one else's business :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

I was about to reply to this thread, but to the OP I'm sorry I cannot be ar$ed as no matter what is said (positive/negative, good and bad) will always be bogged down with idiotic and vastly unfounded comments with which half the posters have no personal experiences of.

I ignored the 'tag-alongs', sifted out the real advice from experienced owners and made my own mind up on buying an alfa 2.5years ago - and I'm still quite happy to this day. There is not a lot more car out there for the money and you wont get the interior/exterior styling & extras elsewhere for less...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I think they look great. Nevr driven one but am definately going to look at a 2nd hand 166 in a year or two when I get rid of my rover 620.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Cavman

cheers guys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

ciarsd wrote:
    I was about to reply to this thread, but to the OP I'm sorry I cannot be ar$ed as no matter what is said (positive/negative, good and bad) will always be bogged down with idiotic and vastly unfounded comments with which half the posters have no personal experiences of.

I ignored the 'tag-alongs', sifted out the real advice from experienced owners and made my own mind up on buying an alfa 2.5years ago - and I'm still quite happy to this day. There is not a lot more car out there for the money and you wont get the interior/exterior styling & extras elsewhere for less...

well, you sort of did reply but I'm glad you did because it was a good post!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

check this from the Parker's Guide
    http://www.parkers.co.uk/choosing/carreviews/review.aspx?model_id=6
    Generally favourable reviews there. They say also that
    "the 156 was a massive leap forward for Alfa Romeo in terms of build quality. But 156 has had its fair share of problems, including faulty electrics, blown head gaskets and water leaks. This is often a problem in a market that demands perfection".

If your heart is set on one then go for it. The reasons for buying an Alfa will never be the same reasons why someone choses a Ford or a BWM or whatever.

• Advertisement

Any excuse to post a pic!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Alfa's are synonymous for giving trouble that's why they depreciate like stones.
    I'd never buy one, better safe than sorry in my opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

eoin_s wrote:
    well, you sort of did reply but I'm glad you did because it was a good post!

so I did :D thanks :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Mr Scoop

I have a 2000 156 2.0 selespeed and it is a cracking car.
    70mph in 3rd. It overtakes and corners like a dream.
    Only problem is you can only go over speed bumps at about 1mph or else you'll drag the arse of it.

Sparks400 wrote:
    Alfa's are synonymous for giving trouble that's why they depreciate like stones.
    Your first post, and so well informed!

How many Alfas have given you trouble?

Sparks400 wrote:
    Oh gosh, I've seen the light. I'm off to buy a diesel Golf, you have shown me the error of my ways - like stones you say. Better to burn out than fade away in my opinion.

'cptr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Oh gosh, I've seen the light. I'm off to buy a diesel Golf, you have shown me the error of my ways - like stones you say. Better to burn out than fade away in my opinion.

shh, what sparks said is great news. It means Alfa's stay undervalued!

I havent owned one yet, but having looked into it over the last six months and picked out some for friends, my sentiment relfects what most people who have owned one say.

* Change timing belt on 16V's after 36K
    * check the variators, luckily they are cheap enough to replace and can often be just cleaned.
    *Check the electrics

All cars have their problems, statistically Alfa are not the best, but if any car has been running for 5 years without too much hassle and is looked after, there is no reason why it should not run for another 5.

Im of the opinion that each individual car should be taken on its own merits. I looked at 4 Polos last week that were in $hite and were looking crazy money. The 5th I looked at was like new, streight as a die and was well looked after.

My next car will most likely be an Alfa, currently a Passat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

back in the late 80's a friend asked me to look at a Giulietta 1.8 After giving the car a thorough going over he hummed and hawed over it. The following day I asked him if he'd made up his mind.......he said he hadn't. I told him that if he didn't, I would. So I rang up the owner, made an offer...and drove it home. It was the friggin' bargain of a lifetime...and my compadre, driving his ''lovely'' 1.2 Astra - ahem - always kicked himself about it afterwards.....and it never broke down either. Mind you the indicator stalk came off in my hand once.....

Just last week I sold my TT. It was my second since 2001. If I take all the derogatory comments about the 156 above and substitute the word TT for the 156 .......it could be the same. NCT failure for worn suspension at 43k miles......2 x MAF.....eats sidelight bulbs for breakfast dinner and tea.......

And I loved it. I really didn't want to sell it...but a knee injury means automatic for me from now on........met an Alfa GT and fell in love....but could only get Selespeed on the petrol. Which isn't an issue in itself...but spending 2k extra for it is........pity. I would have no trouble replacing the TT with an Alfa if I could've gotten it in auto, in diesel....

So I've BTDT......and for the price they can't be beat........íf you don't pay Audi money to buy them...why the hell would you expect Audi money when you sell them?? Just enjoy them.........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement