Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

is benitez going to leave?

• 20-09-2005 1:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 860 ✭✭✭

I wouldn't be surprised if real madrid come knocking and if they do, expect him to bite their arm off. Alot of press reports linking him with the position today and frankly i dont like it. It will be a true test of loyalty. Cant begin to consider the consequences.. :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

There's always press reports linking him with Madrid. In the same way that we're all going to die, of course he's going to leave.

<edit>

Reports seem to be coming from the Daily Mirror - so it's definitely concrete :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

is benitez going to leave? Not until he wins the Premiership!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

i think it would be foolish for him to leave Liverpool where he is idolised as a new messiah for landing the CL with what was an average team by european standards to goto a club where he will not be embraced for playing his preferred 4-5-1 and will be pressured into playing more strikers to cope with some of the players egos with Raul and Ronaldo expecting to start and the new talents like Robinio pushing on for a spot. 1 striker role just wouldnt cut it there

i dont think any manager can make the club as successful as they aspire to be without beefing up the defence abit more instead of constantly signing attacking players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

It would be stupid of him to leave, for no other reason than its the Real Madrid job. EVERYONE gets sacked after a while, there is no job security there so whats the point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Bah, Real Madrid. Just get Del Bosque back!

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

mike65 wrote:
    Bah, Real Madrid. Just get Del Bosque back!

Mike.

Ha ha - yea he was legend there - that team with Makelele and Cambiasso - should have never have sold either of them....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

having managed real madrid's b and c teams - he has a big connection with the club.

who knows?? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Doubt he'd leave a job that he has only started. Not matter what Madrid offer, I'd say Benitez's top goal is to make Liverpool Premiership champions.

Maybe then he'll move on but that will take him a while.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Has Luxemburgo been fired?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Has Luxemburgo been fired?

Depends on what happens thursday night ,lose and hes gone. Spanish press reckon it will be Del Bosque but he was shafted by the same chairman who is there now.

If they *want* rafa they will get him. Same could be said for Mourinho all well and good managing pool and Chelsea but this Real they get the best players and always will.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

He won't leave Liverpool. One of the reason's he left Valencia for Anfield was because he was guaranteed total control over team matter, in both signings and tactics. Do you really think he'll leave somewhere where he has that, along with the unreserved backing of the board, for the political cesspit that is Real Madrid?

Guillem Balange (Sky Sports Spanish correspondent) is very close to Benitez and has just finished a book about his first year in charge at Anfield. He reckons that, yes, Madrid want him, but there's no way he'll go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think Mourinho is more likely to go to Real Madrid than Benetiz is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

I doubt it.

Chelsea can offer him more than Madrid can. He's out to prove himself. Building his team with players he can mould is what he's all about. A team of egos would be his worst nightmare I reckon.

Plus, Abramovic will keep him buttered. Mourinho loves it at Chelsea that is clear. He'll not leave untill he has done everything with them.

I doubt it.

Chelsea can offer him more than Madrid can. He's out to prove himself. Building his team with players he can mould is what he's all about. A team of egos would be his worst nightmare I reckon.

No they cant, Adriano would not to Chelsea many many more players wouldnt offer them less money and rename the team Real and they would go. Its all about image, Chelsea cant buy that.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

I cant see Jose going to Real. He is the boss at Chelsea and no one else on the board gets involved with team affairs, which is only right of course.

At Real he will have the president buying who he thinks should be at club instead of doing the sensible thing and buying a couple of centre halfs. If Jose was there thats the first thing he would do but the president probably would want to spend all his money on someone like Adriano when he already has 4 strikers.

Can see Benitez going though. How many opportunities will he get to manage Real Madrid?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

The Real Madrid job is a poision chalice. As manager you are forced by marketing ppl to play out of form players such as Beckham. And also t obuuy players you dont necessarily wwant in your squad...all in the name of earning more money.

Why would any manager who is happy in their current job as well as having total control over team affairs want to even pick up that chalice never mind drink from it.

No they cant, Adriano would not to Chelsea many many more players wouldnt offer them less money and rename the team Real and they would go. Its all about image, Chelsea cant buy that.

Yes, but Roman has constantly said that his aim is to make Chelsea a great club, like Man Utd or Madrid. That is what Mourinho wants to be part of.

That is why Peter Kenyon was brought in from Old Trafford, to establish Chelsea as a brand the world over. And, with all the top name players they have bought from different countries, I can see Chelsea acheiving that.

If Mourinho keeps winning, you'll see young kids walking round in Chelsea tops instead of United tops. That's all it takes.

I've already noticed about five times more Chelsea jerseys on the street than I used to see.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

rafa wont go. Madrid is totally run by the president. It is he who decides on who the club buys and who the club sells etc. the manager is only their to coach and pick the team, which tbh is also dictated by the president to a point in that the big name players have to play.

It is a very insecure job and not many managers last past a single season which would then leave Rafa out of a job and regreting he ever left Liverpool. he wont leave a club he is only starting build up and it will take a good few years yet until Liverpool will be able to challenge for the League title.

Mourinho wont go either. he clearly loves it at Chelsea and is under contract there until 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Waster

He won't leave Liverpool. One of the reason's he left Valencia for Anfield was because he was guaranteed total control over team matter, in both signings and tactics. Do you really think he'll leave somewhere where he has that, along with the unreserved backing of the board, for the political cesspit that is Real Madrid?

Guillem Balange (Sky Sports Spanish correspondent) is very close to Benitez and has just finished a book about his first year in charge at Anfield. He reckons that, yes, Madrid want him, but there's no way he'll go.
    This is the most important point. He left Valencia due to board interference which would be twice as bad as Madrid with that fool Perez looking over his shoulder. He is a madrid fan and will go there eventually, but not for a long time yet in my view.
    I've heard that there are two possibilities to succeed Wanderly. The first and more likely one is Victor Fernandez the ex Betis coach. If Wanderly gets sacked anytime soon then I would imagine that he'll come in. If the change happens in the summer then I wouldn't be surprised to see Arsene Wenger take over. I heard that he ate lunch with Perez quite recently. Coupled with the fact that Henry is probably going to Barcelona in June I can see Arseanal struggling if Wenger leaves.

bucks73 wrote:
    Can see Benitez going though. How many opportunities will he get to manage Real Madrid?
    The Madrid job must come up at least once a year on average - so plenty of opportunities.
    Waster wrote:
    This is the most important point. He left Valencia due to board interference which would be twice as bad as Madrid with that fool Perez looking over his shoulder. He is a madrid fan and will go there eventually, but not for a long time yet in my view.
    I totally agree with that - he loves Madrid so I wouldn't begrudge him a stint there but he has plenty of time left in his career and I think he's the kind of person who wouldn't be happy leaving Liverpool before he'd achieved something (yes there's the CL but he hasn't turned the club round yet). He can wait a few years, achieve something in England and then go to Madrid when Perez is long gone.
    Waster wrote:
    If the change happens in the summer then I wouldn't be surprised to see Arsene Wenger take over. He has had lunch with Perez not too long ago.
    Lol - was Ashley Cole invited too?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Rafa is only 45 I think so he's got loads of time, he can take over Real Madrid
    in say 2015 (how olds Perez?!).

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

ah its good to be back... think twice before you sponser someone lads!!

anyway i dont think rafa will be on his bike just yet, but the madrid job would be seriously hard to turn down.

but rafa seems like the loyal type to me, hopefully he'll see out his contract anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

good to see you back vinny

i doubt benitez will leave liverpool so soon after joing.Real madrid is a poison chalice where you have to pik the likes of beckam and so forth regardless of form. Kewell is on his way back, wonder is this a good sign or not.

I wonder where the hell is bannor, he hasnt posted in months.

galwaydude wrote:
    you have to pik the likes of beckam

OT but he was Motm last night, played superb. Like he nearly always does for Madrid.

kdjac

The bookies have Rafa at 14-1 and Mourinho at 20-1. The favourite, Sanchez I think is his name, is only 4-1 so I think even the bookies realise that Benitez and Jose are staying put.

I wonder do they ever back themselves? They'd obviously have an inside line on proceedings and they're not in a position to decide the outcome so it wouldn't really be unethical (where as it might be if it was Perez placing bets).

I doubt Benitez would back himself but I wouyldn't put it past Mourinho to back Chelsea to win the PL. He's got that sort of arrogance!

Advertisement