Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

excel formula/ vba question

Options
  • 20-09-2005 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭

I think this deserves to be here but not sure, mods can move if need be.

have myself a simple test list:
    do this expcet this what happens pass pos fault

now all i want is when i enter N in the pass box that the text in that line, not the cells, change colour to red. I've tried the conditional formating but it only changes a single cell.

Help pls
    Timeout

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

you might want to rewrite that, not sure what you are asking.

As for conditional formatting, select the range of cells that you want to apply it to, and instead of absolute referencing the conditon $a$1 just change it to a1

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭timeout

|do this|-|expcet this|-|get this|-|pass|-|pos fault|
    |send |-|aaaaaaaaa|-|bbbbbb|-| N |-|typo |
    |print |-|aaaaaaaaa|-|aaaaaa|-| Y |-| |

so i want all the text in the first line to highlight in red as soon as i put an "N" in the pass box. Have it summing at the bottom and giving graph. But its hard to see if you have 300 lines of text where it didn't pass

Has this clearified it?

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Kai

timeout wrote:
    Has this clearified it?

Not in the friggin least !

I'll try to post a better sample. The image i was trying to give is bad by the sound of things

got the conditional formatting to work. Instead of absolute referencing the conditon $a$1 or changing it to a1, which caused it to colour one cell i put in $a1 and it worked.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

1 point to me for correct solution, and 2 bonus points for deciphering the question :)

i'll give it to you. I had tried both before but it gave mixed results.It's only that variantion on it that has working and its working a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭fatlog

bazH wrote:
    1 point to me for correct solution, and 2 bonus points for deciphering the question :)

you deserve more than 2 bonus points!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

*cough*homework*cough*

Advertisement