Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Acetone as a fuel additive

Options
  • 20-09-2005 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭

With increased fuel prices these days, has anybody heard of this before or got a comment? Link to page on Acetone as an additive.

"Reported effects include increased mileage, more power, more stable idle, faster start-up, cleaner emissions"
    "up to 20% increase in miles per gallon"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

Based on my one tank experiment, There was no significant difference, Weather/temperature apear to have a more significant effect.

14.5 gal tank with 50CC acetone added.

But I'll try again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

I'm sure there is the makings of a great thesis on the subject but I'm very sceptical. There are lots of organic compounds which will increase burn rates and improve performance, ethanol, methanol and my personal favourite, alcohol. Stop pressing the 'go' pedal into the deep-pile carpet of your Jag and you will achieve better economy without adding whatever cancer-causing compounds that burning acetone creates to our already poisoned atmosphere. I remember an old mechanics tale about putting small amounts of diesel in a tank of petrol to improve burn rate - AMurphy is probably a likely candidate to try it out - let us know how you get on?

Oh and never forget that several post-war tractor manufacturers experimented with water injection in diesel and TVO engines, the water vapour causing the diesel to burn more efficiently. Anyone got a Mk11 Golf and a spare set of injectors willing to give it a go?

'c

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

I'm thinking of giving this a go in my 2.5 turbo diesel engine.
    Anyone know where to get pure acetone? I've searched the boards but can't find an answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Anyone know where to get pure acetone? I've searched the boards but can't find an answer.

Try going to college I have access to litres and litres of the stuff we use it in labs to clean lab equipment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭IDMUD

Like with all auto regarded myths some people just don't want to face the truth for some reason or another, but here goes.

If you want a greater mix of fuel the only way to do it is by increasing the fuel pressure and injector geometry. That said, normal engines have nothing to gain by doing this...

Advertisement