Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Diesel kits

Options
  • 20-09-2005 3:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭

Hi, I was looking at some Diesel Tuning module to boost the power in my car. On the web-site in question: http://www.mrhoot.com/defaultgoogleads.asp, when I looked up my car, it said that the kit could increase the power from 110 bhp to 136 bhp. Not only that but increase fuel efficency!! Is this bad for the engine or is it just making the engine run more efficently? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Cucullan

There is a guy in nenagh,north tipp sells these not too sure of all his prices i think it varies from car to car. His email is powerboxtuning@eircom.net and mobile is 0868068581.
    I'm buying a 2l Mondeo friday and getting one fitted (by him) next week. It will increase it from 115bph to 136bph and the torque will increase from 280nm to 330nm.
    He assured me it does no damage to the engine it just does something to fuel injector to cut out flat spots when accelerating etc. A friend of mine got one (how I heard about this guy) for his 130bph Passat and now his acceleration is unreal
    Hes doing the one for the mondeo for just over €400 incl a K&N Filter

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

I think you are talking about remapping the ECU. All it does is take away the restrictor from the engine. The restrictor is there for a number of reasons, for example to feed the power in gradually and less aggressively, the car is sold in hotter climates so the ECu is restricting the engine so it will not overheat, but as we're in good auwl Ireland we don't have to worry about it

I got my Tdi's ECU remapped a few months ago and it totally transformed the performance of the car, from 110BHP to 141BHp, 170 lbft to 264 lbft

I don't think the unit the guy in Nenagh sells has anything to do with the ECU its to do with the fuel injectors. He gave me a leaflet I'll have a look for it and see what it says but I'm pretty sure it has nothing to with ECU mapping.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

1. Are you supposed to inform your insurance company of such mods?
    2. Did you inform your insurance company of such mods?
    3. Assuming you answered Yes to Q2, how did if effect your premium?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Superchips in the UK do this as well.

I think it is an essential if you have a deisel.

It improves accelerator response n therefore reduces revving from standing starts and thus saves on fuel costs.

My next car is going to be a deisel and i am definitely getting one of those kits for it.

Seat Loen TDI or Opel Astra CDTi or Alfa JDT

Golf PD TDI would be the one to get though.

• Advertisement

prospect wrote:
    1. Are you supposed to inform your insurance company of such mods?
    2. Did you inform your insurance company of such mods?
    3. Assuming you answered Yes to Q2, how did if effect your premium?
    1) You are supposed to inform your insurance company
    2) My friend did and they wanted a spec sheet on it, after they read it they said it was alright and charged him nothing extra. He's 36 if thats matters.
    3) Above

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

Jabbasport do a good kit for the VAG TDis - supposed to have a very good reputation. For some reason - their website is off the air.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Cerberus

A typical tuning box sits in between the ECU and the fuel pump and modifies the amount of fuel that is injected into the cyclinders and the timing of the injection. Manufacturers design their cars to run well in all conditions (cold,heat,humidity,fuel quality etc) so the ECU is programmed to keep the engine well within known tolerances. The tuning box just modifies the parameters of the fuel pump to give better performance. They can reduce the performance in the same fashion...if you wanted it that way :p

The claims for better fuel economy are nearly always accompanied by the words "if the driver does not modify the way they drive". But no one buys a tuning box for better economy. That said, they don't adversely affect the economy either even when the car is ragged. They are well worth the money. They are the cheapest 30bhp upgrade you will ever purchase and they are completely safe for the engine if you buy off a reputable company. ie TuningBox.com. Westward engineering in Enfield are the agents for them in Ireland and are very good to deal with.

An ECU remap achieves the same thing but can be adapted to suit the specific car in question. But they are nearly always a permanent modification whereas the tuningbox is plug and play. I think a ECU remap can also modify boost as well whereas a tuningbox cannot.

But remember, although the engine is not affected adversely, your clutch and drivetrain are gonna take a good bit more abuse owning to the extra torque you'll be spinning.

I have my car insured with FBD and the tuning box was an extra 150 yoyos for the year. They were the only company that would allow it for me - I'm 26.
    But yes, it is against the terms of your insurance to have one plugged in and not declared...but they can be disconected in less than 5 minutes if needs be and no trace is left. :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement