Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Law and Order: SVU dumbing down?

• 20-09-2005 4:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭

I watched last nights episode and just got annoyed.
    First of we get this explainaintion about how gangs work and have moral outrage of the police.
    Secondly we get to the other part of the police department that deal with graffiti and get an explanation of that and how it costs the tax payers money.
    Thirdly we get a sex re-assignment of a twin. The big problem I have with that is the story about accidentally removing the childs penis is based on true events. Not only that the case is true it is the biggest basis for gender reidentification in the world. Yet there is no mention of the original case and yet they are critical of the practice that was a commonly held view up untill quite recently.
    Fourthly we have a doctor acting completely unethically through out the episode finally just ignoring the obvious dangers of telling a child an earth shattering fact.
    Fifthly we have the twins acting all supernatural like and within a week planning the perfect murder. No chance they would be still in a strange emotional place.

An overlly complex story yet when it suited them they drop the complex bit and make it really easy for the story to continue. The intial bits with gangs and graffiti was so like Quincy I was shocked. The well rounded characters and now become 2 dimensional. It looks like it must be just trying to compete with CSI for a dummer audience.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

Why get so annoyed, its not as if its real

Plus the episode last night was taped back at the start of 2005, so they cant really be competing with CSI - especially since CSI deals with a whole different area of police work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

Ph3n0m wrote:
    Why get so annoyed, its not as if its real

Plus the episode last night was taped back at the start of 2005, so they cant really be competing with CSI - especially since CSI deals with a whole different area of police work
    I am annoyed because it was good now it is bad. CSI is tv series about cops which is incredibly low brow and they appeared to have made SVU more stupid. Why they can be competing with each other doesn't take the deductive powers of a genius no matter when it was taped. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

i didnt like it at all. There wasn't much to the case, just a load of sh!te about some messed up twins. This season was pretty good at the start,but, this episode along with Ice T's narcotics crusade was crap. hope its better next week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

what channel is this being seen on?

Nightwish wrote:
    i didnt like it at all. There wasn't much to the case, just a load of sh!te about some messed up twins. This season was pretty good at the start,but, this episode along with Ice T's narcotics crusade was crap. hope its better next week
    So far the whole season seems to have been bad. The Ice T special was awful and there was that episode when we weren't told the verdict. The killer kid was another one that was bad actually I haven't liked any of the new season at all. It just became more and more cliched.

It's on TV3 by the by mossy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭Lambsbread

I was very disappointed when they didn't give a verdict, it was just lazy writing. Wasn't too much of a fan of the Ice-T special either. Hopefully things improve.

Lambsbread wrote:
    I was very disappointed when they didn't give a verdict, it was just lazy writing. Wasn't too much of a fan of the Ice-T special either. Hopefully things improve.

I don't think it was lazy writting as such just hack writing. The really clever point they were trying to make was what do you think? All to illistrate how it's not black and white and you should think about it. I saw it coming from half way through.

What did you think about the last episode? Did you not see the boy in drag? It all seems to be patronising now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I could see that there was something up with the "female" twin the second she came into the programme. It's being too obvious. Focusing too much on people s circumstances and not enough on the case and the trial. Has anyone noticed that the courtroom scenes are a rarity these days? Totally off topic, but did anyone else know that Mariska Hargitay is Jayne Mansfields daughter?

Nightwish wrote:
    ? Totally off topic, but did anyone else know that Mariska Hargitay is Jayne Mansfields daughter?

Yeah, I also heard she was actually in the car accident that killed her mother. I know the rumour of Mansfield being decapitated are false.
    Hargitay dislikes being asked about her mother in interviews and was mostly raised by her father AFIK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Nightwish wrote:
    Totally off topic, but did anyone else know that Mariska Hargitay is Jayne Mansfields daughter?
    Further off-topic, but she's quite tall in real-life! She was outside the Gate Theatre when we went to see her co-star from SVU Chris Meloni in Arthur Miller's 'A View from the Bridge' - Great play & great performances, but Meloni is actually quite small. Maybe they let him stand on a box when he's playing side by side with her in SVU.

• Advertisement

Er I think you saw the wrong person, as she is only 5'7" and Melloni is 6'0

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005221/bio - Melloni's bio
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0002127/bio - Mariska Hargitay bio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Ph3n0m wrote:
    Er I think you saw the wrong person, as she is only 5'7" and Melloni is 6'0

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005221/bio - Melloni's bio
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0002127/bio - Mariska Hargitay bio
    Twas definitely Mariska - she must have had the high heels on that night!

either way that play you mentioned (apologies for hijacking the thread :) ) - is really good, Melloni is great in it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

At least TV3 keep showing Law & Order SUV at 10 on Mondays. RTE's treatment of law & order on Sundays is a complete disgrace. They have it on past midnight.

This is typical of RTE.

Advertisement