Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPS Reception in Dublin?????????

Options
  • 20-09-2005 4:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭

Does any one here use GPS around Dublin?
    Has anyone else noticed poor reception lately?
    Now I know around city centre there are always a few areas where you get lost sattalite reception.but seems to be happening all over the place lately..sometimes taking up to 5 minudes to get reception again...
    Anyone else notice this...?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

mine is fine, I rarely have trouble. you sure it's not your device? or your provider? I use vodafone myself and they seem ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

Vodafone is fine...I was talking about GPS not GPRS

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

oops my bad, I have a garmin c320 and never had a problem with it anywhere

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

I have used GPS in dublin as well and it is very good are your maps old

No fairly new garmin unit / using Mapsource europe v6.....
    A bit weird tought maybe a satelitte fell out of the sky...LOL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭paul moore

Lads the sats are ok,i use GPS every day setting out on site in on the Dublin Port Tunnel site & its ok, (surveying) i use Trimble gear for millimeter position (5mm-10mm)
    on average i pick up 6-8 sats a day,and drops to 4 around 4:30 for about 5 mins,i havent had a problem in the last 4 years !!!!

Now that you mention it it is around 4.30 I have probs...Why is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭paul moore

We can't control this,however it does'nt stay like this for many days,with the gear i use you get sofware that includes an ALMANIC telling you how many sats there is going to be,there strength (PDOP) etc....it's the way they orbit the earth...it changes.I'll check the almanic for ya,

No big deal..Just curious...Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭johnjay

Lads

How good are the Garmin maps for Dublin? have you used them outside of Dublin? I am thinking about getting one, but heard somewere that the Irish mapping is S**te!

• Advertisement

Dublin is perfect to street level..Outside Dublin is fairly basic..

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

I've got the Navman 4400 with SmartST2 software which is 2 years old. It's good in Dublin but outside the M50 it's rubbish.

I'm thinking of giving this one a try

http://www.shop.viamichelin.co.uk/shopexd.asp?catalogid=196

Advertisement