Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tolls by satellite?

Options
  • 20-09-2005 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

Barriers may go but tolls won't
    Tolls by Satellite

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

I suppose speeding fines will be added to this system in due course, I'm just waiting for road tax to charged on bikes when they have put enough people on them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here. A friend of mine who’s dad was working on the m50 when it was being built was telling us about the toll bridge. The M50 apparently was built and owned by the government. The Toll bridge is owned by NTR and only the toll bridge is owned by them! The M50 was built during the 90's before the Celtic Tiger when the govt were not as well off as they are now. They didn't have the money nor resources to build the bridge so a private company NTR built it for them with the provision of charging for 20years for its use.

Now I've heard stories about removing the toll plaza and charging on the on ramps etc... If they get rid of it and its true that they only own the bridge how can they get away with charging you to use a product that’s not even theirs? You get on at Tallaght say and get of Lucan your not using the bridge but still going to be charged to use the M50! If its not theirs how is this going to be legal?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

So what's going to happen? It will be law to carry a sat dish that will transmit your exact whereabouts and bill you at the end of the month? Well I wouldn't want that, I'd prefer the current system given that I use the toll bridge very seldomly now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

junkyard wrote:
    I suppose speeding fines will be added to this system in due course, I'm just waiting for road tax to charged on bikes when they have put enough people on them!

What would happen if you were doing 135KPH the whole length of the M50, how many speeding fines would you get? Since now you're only fined once when you're caught

• Moderators Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭LFCFan

A satellite toll to replace existing Tolls would be welcome, but you know very well that once it was rolled out for that, we would end up paying every time we move our car. This on top of an already serious tax burden to motorists would be the last straw, unless of course they were to replace the current road tax system with this 'pay as you go' system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Sounds like a nightmare to me. Now they can just bill you, and the onus is on you to prove that you weren't there.

BUT TEH SYSTME IS NEVAR WRONG!!!!11

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

They should put the tax on the petrol. I know everyone is going to say but its expensive enough. Put it this way. I have a 2lt d turbo 306. Someone driving a 1.8 Laguna pays les tax than i do. Why? His is a bigger heavier car and would do more damage to the road... The current system is unfair and as such we have tax dodgers.

Put the tax on the fuel and a) you will not be able to dodge it, b) it will penalise the heavier drivers and c) it will promote economical non gas guzzling monster engines on our roads.

But the whole satelite thing i do not agree with. I can see them taxing us for every road we use. i.e. you drove such adn such miles last year you owe us 2k... The Big Brother every move you make is monitored state would be uppon us.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

iregk wrote:
    They should put the tax on the petrol. I know everyone is going to say but its expensive enough. Put it this way. I have a 2lt d turbo 306. Someone driving a 1.8 Laguna pays les tax than i do. Why? His is a bigger heavier car and would do more damage to the road... The current system is unfair and as such we have tax dodgers.

Put the tax on the fuel and a) you will not be able to dodge it, b) it will penalise the heavier drivers and c) it will promote economical non gas guzzling monster engines on our roads.

As far as I can see the people who drive gas guzzlers are loaded enough to afford petrol at any costs. Its the people with smaller engines who are struggling to get by that would be unable to cope with an increase.

M

Advertisement