Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do pub drink prices really matter to you?

Options
  • 20-09-2005 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭

Do drink prices charged in pubs really affect where you drink?
    Are your haunts on a Friday or Saturday night determined by the cheapest booze?
    Perhaps if you're a student, you'll be looking for somewhere cheaper, but I think we still dont really care what price we're charged as we'd rather pay higher for the fact of drinking in the establishment - it's well known that those charging the higher prices are the more "exclusive".
    I dont think drink in pubs can be seen as true comparible products for this reason.
    When was the last time you actually looked at the price list in a pub / checked your receipts? Does it really matter to you?

Do pub drink prices matter to you? 55 votes

Yes - I'd find out somewhere with better value.
    0% 0 votes
    No / dont care - I'd rather drink in a pub/club I enjoy without worrying too much about the price.
    100% 55 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭electric69

The price of drink is such a rip-off.Everyone either gets pissed before they go out or else they dont go out at all.Oh god now we're gonna heard "Eddy Hobbs" this and that....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭Sandals

I am 18, and all my friends head to the cheapest pub in town before we head out (disco) but mostly we just drink naggons on the way into town.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Well i worked in a local and pretty popular pub in the nearby town, and i was there for 3 years and about 16 various major price changes, the alco-pop one was the biggest. And although you'd have all the regulars complaining about the prices not once would they ever stop coming in after work during the week nights or at the weekend for their nights out. People in ireland just seem to bend over and take it, but hey i wasnt complaining cause our wages went up too. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

electric69 wrote:
    The price of drink is such a rip-off.Everyone either gets pissed before they go out or else they dont go out at all.Oh god now we're gonna heard "Eddy Hobbs" this and that....
    It may be a rip-off, but do we do the best to get the product cheaper elsewhere?
    Some pubs charge more than others - they should (by law) have a price list near the entrance.
    The point I'm making is, do you go to a pub/club without taking the price of the drink into effect? ~ knowing full well your being "ripped-off" but see it more the price of actually being in that club/pub?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

I doubt anybody checks the prices before ordering...even though sometimes you are shocked when you look at the receipt.

It depends, if two pubs were close to each other and one was charging more, then obviously i'd go to the cheaper one. Though if i was going into a bar and decided to have a drink but noticed the prices are above average, i coudn't just walk out and try find a cheaper option...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

when i used to drink, I got really pi$$ed off at the price of drink in pubs (and its worse in some clubs) especially at the price of a dash of blackcurrant or orange in vodka, that I had a few at home, then go out. Even now that I don't drink very often the price of soft drinks is awful in pubs. I do not see the justification for charging 2.50 for a tiny bottle of coke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭lazylad

Depends, I mean I love me father goin to the pub and me mammy goin to coz i get rid of them for an hour. I hate collectin tho. Pubs are nice when you know theres gonna b people you know there. Last time I was at a pub was last month, was nice atmosphere have to say, the prices are worth it when u have a good time.. but too much drink and you feel like cr(p and ya start arguein over somethin stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

lazylad wrote:
    somethin stupid.
    You know what else is stupid!?

RTRD TLK! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭Gross Halfwit

No the price of alcohol does not affect my choice of bar. I drink only pints of Guinness. Guinness is generally the cheapest (its not why I drink it). I dont drink to get wasted, well maybe sometimes, but generally I dont go out with the intention of getting mamboed. Im sure for people drinking shorts it would affect their choice of drink or establishment.

I go where I feel comfortable and where I have fun, the price is not a factor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

No as I don't drink much anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Rcuomo

to me the price definitely affects my decision where to drink,
    one example is i wouldnt drink in q bar anymore because the prices on weekends are scandalous (another is most of the people in there are tools!) it's somehting like 5.15 for a pint, it's unbelievable and its not going to get any better if everyone just shrugs and pays it...
    dont get me wrong i wouldnt go into some dirty kip just for a cheap pint but it has to be reasonable. i dont go out half as much as i used to because of the expense, taxi's aswell! and it seems some pubs are actually taking notice and selling cheaper alcohol with 3euro pint offers and that kind of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

they are a total sham the prices but we should be used to it by now with everything in the country bein ridiculous prices...its grand once u go out and stick i a round with 3 or less after that u are gettin pricy...but no i wouldn't say i think about it too much and it certainl doesn't bother me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Doesn't really bother me too much as long as the price isn't too high. Paying an extra 20c a pint is ok if it is in a place i like. Different story if it was in some ****-hole

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

saw this link on the consumer issues forum
    http://drinkfeckgirls.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

great link nightwish nice one :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

Pub prices have practically stopped me from going to the pub in the first place now. I'm not so bad, as I'm in the North, but even still, I was able to pay about 50 less for a pint this time last year.
    That why, when I do go to the pub, I'm usually only going for the quiet chat or the decent music. There must be something that just beer, cause, frankly I can get that for much much cheaper and in a better environment at home. But, I'll admit, you can't beat a good Guinness. Naturally.

S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

havent been drinking in a pub in this country for 2 or 3 months now

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Moved from AH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

Yeah! Up Mc Nulteys! (in the link) ITs the greatest old-man pub in the world! The mens toilets are outside under a bit of iron shelter, and are basically just buckets in the ground, the womens toilets are in yer mans actual house, up the stairs and are gaurded by an old dog! The pool table only takes an old 10 pence peice kept behind the bar and yer man is a dirty old perv!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

All pubs within a town are generally the same price. The curse of the vintners ass. setting prices etc.

The "Cheaper" pubs are such because they're dumps.

In the UK I will cross the street becuase a pub of the same type can be a quid a drink cheaper.... or more.

John

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Tbh, I just go wherever everybody else is going. We usually go to the same bar and all the pubs in town have around the same price.. We're being ripped off no matter what pub we go to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

I'd look for a balance. I wouldn't drink in somewhere I hated just to save a few pence, but generally I go where there's three euro pints to be had (and yes, I am a student)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

Lately I notice that a lot of pubs are now serving even smaller bottles of coke. I think they are 150ml bottles!!! They still charge around 2.50 for them though. In The Oliver St. John Gogarty, however, they sell cans which is great as you can split it between 3 vodkas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Dublin7

If drinking is cheaper and the pub/club is at least as good I would definitely go there.
    Generally I don't go to place where pints are more than 5 euros, I start finding it inacceptable if pints of guinness are more than 4.20 and lager 4.80.

Yea Qbar is definitely a joke, I hate that bar and their prices, night clubs tend to be more expensive tho.

If for any reason I have to go to a place where prices are too expensive (you cannot always choose) I tend to drink much less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

I'm a student so prices do matter, so I just get drunk before I go out. That way anything I buy while I'm out just keeps me drunk.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

So in addition to the 21% VAT there is Excise Duty on Alcohol

http://www.finance.gov.ie/viewdoc.asp?fn=/documents/tsg/2005/TSG_04_18exciseduties.rtf
    Excise Duty

it's in RICH TEXT Format :rolleyes:
    20. The relative taxation of alcoholic drinks in Ireland (in ascending order) on the basis of representative products is set out below:

Alcoholic Strength % Excise per litre per degree of alcohol
    Low-strength wine-based beverages*	
    ‘alcopops’          5.5	€0.165	   

Cider               4.5	€0.185	 

Beer.               4.3	€0.1987	   

Low-strength spirit-based beverages*
    ‘alcopops’          5.5	€0.3925	   

Wine (Still)       12.5	€0.2184**

Spirits            40	€0.3925	  

Wine (Sparkling)   12	€0.455**[/font]

*Known in the trade as ‘ready to drink’ (R.T.D.) or ‘alcopops’
    ** The excise rate of duty for still wine is €2.73 per litre, for wine in the range of 5o – 15o alcoholic content. This means that the stronger the wine, the less is the relative taxation. The same applies to sparkling wine in that, where the alcoholic content is greater than 8.5%, the rate of taxation (at double that of still wine i.e. €5.46 per litre) per degree of alcohol decreases as alcoholic strength increases.
    33. The last excise increase on beer of 3p per pint was imposed in the January 1994 Budget. However the pub price has increased on a number of occasions since then because of increases applied by the producers/publicans
    - Yes that's right folks the Govt haven't put a penny on your pint for over 11 years !
    4.3% beer x 0.1987 = 0.854c per litre
    0.845c/1.76L = 48c per pint !! ( in addition to VAT at 21% )
    Back in the 80's it was costing Guinness less than 3p to make a pint.

And there is only €2.75 on a litre of still wine that you pay X for in a resterant or nightclub.

BTW:
    49. The new agreed minimum EU rates clearly reduce the room for manoeuvre in terms of possible decreases in excise on motor fuels. The maximum amount by which the excise on unleaded petrol can be reduced is 8.4 cent per litre or, VAT inclusive, 10.2 cent per litre. The maximum amount by which auto diesel excise can be reduced is 6.6 cent per litre or, VAT inclusive, 8 cent per litre.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://archive.thisisthenortheast.co.uk/2000/12/14/184247.html
    Many others charge twice as much, or more, than Hogan's. The ever-unanswered question, of course, is if Hogan's can sell ale for 85p and prosper, and the brewers can sell it for less than 85p and do even better, what's the real cost of producing a pint of beer? Dave McGee estimates about 20p. "It's pure greed on behalf of the pub companies," he said. "We're doing quite canny as we are...."
    Milk has to be packaged and transported nationwide and kept cool and has a very short shelf life compared to beer - how much does it cost a pint ?
    and don't forget that the amount they pay the farmers is a lot more than the cost of grain.

http://archives.tcm.ie/irishexaminer/2005/09/13/story376334755.asp
    Industry sources explained the company was set up to provide a market outlet for malting barley growers, is not involved in animal feed production and does not set grain prices.
    Mr Harrington said Glanbia, who purchase about 20% of the total traded grain tonnage annually, have come with an official on-account price of €95 and €97 per tonne for barley and wheat, respectively, at 20% moisture, exclusive of VAT.
    So it's roughly €10 per 100 Kg. From which you can make 530* Litres of beer = 930 Pints, or roughly 1c per pint. Fair enough there are other costs but you get the point.
    * http://www.biere-et-sante.com/index_eng.jsp?Page=Doc897&Doc=alc_divers
    (as a side note re beer as food the Egyptians used to feed the workers on bread and the stale bread was made into beer)

Interesting Article about how Tax has changed the types of beer people drink.
    http://www.allaboutbeer.com/features/242taxingthepour.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Lump wrote:
    All pubs within a town are generally the same price. The curse of the vintners ass. setting prices etc.

The "Cheaper" pubs are such because they're dumps.

In the UK I will cross the street becuase a pub of the same type can be a quid a drink cheaper.... or more.

John

What he said.

It's easy finding cheaper pubs in the UK - just walk to any Wetherspoon. I've tried a couple of the 3 euro a pint pubs in Dublin and they're dives. Apart from them you have no choice. It's pretty much 4.20 a Guinness wherever you go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

I'm a bit of both, I mean after a few pints I like to endulge in some suddy + white, and I am not prepared to dish out 6/7 yo-yo's for just that. however I don't really mind how much I pay for a pint provided I know I am gonna enjoy it. I mean there is a pub where I live where you can get any drink (not sure if that includes cocktails) for €3, and that's good, but the pints taste like ****e! I mean they must never clean the lanes, or if they do it's with a rat.

and just as a side note to anyone who knows where I am talking about, DON'T get any ice, that's all I'll say.

so what I used to do was have pints in a slightly dearer bar but where the pints are great first, and then go to the €3 pub for my suddy + white, but that all changed for said reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The price of drink does matter to me. I'll leave pubs or refuse to go to particular places because of their prices. I've gone from a 4-trips a week person to maybe just once a week because of all the prices hikes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement