Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nanny V Au Pair

Options
  • 20-09-2005 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭

Right got a dilema.

Feb 2006 is d day for the costello house hold and we are to have a new arrival, we are both excited and nervous and panicked and everyother nautious feeling that there is. We are also delighted and over the moon.

Now both Deb and I work, and like most we are continuing on with work. I am not a big of a creche, so we have been thinking about someone who is willing to help in the house.

So what is the opinion out there, nanny/home help or au pair. Has anyone out there had any experiences and what are the best way to organise.

Do you advertise, approach an agency look for local people.

thanks for any advice you can give

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Congratulations on your impending arrival.

The last thread on Au pairs.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=279030

info.

http://www.youthquest.ie/travel/aupair.htm
    Translated literally the expression actually means on equal terms - in other words an Au-Pair should be accepted as part of the family rather than as an employee. In return for doing light work such as cleaning, dusting, shopping and for taking care of the children, the Au Pair receives board, lodgings and pocket money of around €100 per week. Au Pairs should also get sufficient free time to attend language courses and to enjoy themselves.
    * The Au Pair should receive all meals and where possible, a private room
    * The Au Pair should get sufficient time off to do a language course, learn something of the culture of the host family and fulfill religious obligations, if desired. Time off should consist of at least one day off a week.
    * The Au Pair should work no more than 5 hour a day excluding meals

I think what you are looking for is a childminder/nanny to mind the child in
    it's own home not an Au pair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

Your situation is not suited to an Au Pair unless one or both of you is planning to work apart time in which case it may be ideal. :)

If you can afford one by all means employ a nanny. However why are you not keen on creches? :confused:

Is this something that you have thought through or just some kind of knee jerk reaction. Why aren't you that big of a creche?

Without knowing this how can people offer advice? :confused:

Warm Regards :D

MountainyMan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

thanks thaed.
    seems I am not the only who is going down this route

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭foxinsocks

I dont know a whole lot about nannies or au pairs, but like you, i would have a hard time leaving a very young child in a creche.

Have you considered perhaps a child minder? These would look after the child in their home (usually) and are more of a surrogate family/parent. Your child would be looked after in a home environment. I have been doing a bit of this (childminding) in my home, just on a part time basis so far, and i find it quite fun to have other children around. Personally i wouldnt ever be interested in taking on many children, if i ever do it full time it will be just a couple of kids, so i can pay them proper attention. I know many professional childminders take on more than this though.

Childminding dot ie will give you an idea what the concept is about.

Whatever you decide, good luck with finding a good fit for you and your family.

Fox_in_Socks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

For me an AuPair is great. The hours you will require might be too much though.

There used to be a option for "Au Pair plus" the working hours for these Au Pairs was longer. I don't think this type of placement is available now.

Also a lot of Au Pairs are not comfortable looking after very young kids.

Someone asked why an Au Pair. For us there are a number of reasons. They are much cheaper than a creche and also much more flexible. Also, when you get the right one, they are so good for the kids.

MrP

• Advertisement
Advertisement