Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Email Attachment Size Limit - Digiweb

• 20-09-2005 7:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Do all ISP impose this? I was recently at a family event, and took some pics with my 5 megapixel camera (becoming fairly standard I would think). So now 2 days later, I have the pictures and I decide to email them on to the cousins. Fairly normal story so far?

No, the email won't send as I am over the attachment size limit! Do all ISPs have this? I rang Digiweb this evening, and spoke to a very helpful guy. He said that emails are designed to be a max of 10 megs and that this is enough for most people. As far as I can see their limit is 20, but he seemed to think 10.

So, your average person gets a standard digital camera and broadband, goes on holidays, takes a few snaps and finds he can only send about 9 (5 megapixel cams take pictures at about 1.2megs)

Am I making a big deal out of this? I was quite shocked by it actually. I won't be a major disadvantage to me, but surely it defeats the purpose of broadband. What about the design guys that do a bit of work at home and want to email it into the office?

Well hopefully Crawler and the other Digiweb guy that were so helpful when they were trying to sign people up for Metro will be able to shed some light on this!

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

While this isn't really an answer to your question, the easiest and best way to share Photos with family and friends is using Goggle Picasa software: http://picasa.google.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

Ya I use Kodak Gallery myself, but emailing them is handier really in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭UberNewb

bk's idea is the best way to share pictures but if you really need to send large files you could always use Yousendit.com

This will allow you to send files up to 1GB in size. You upload your file to yousendit and when it has finished uploading they give you a link to download the file. You can then email this link to as many people as you want and they can then download the file.

The link will stay active for up to a week. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

It's just rude to send emails that size. What about people on dialup who you might send your photos to?
    Email is the most inefficient way possible of transferring large files.

It is a *good* thing that your provider has a cap on outgoing attachments.

eth0_ wrote:
    It's just rude to send emails that size. What about people on dialup who you might send your photos to?
    Email is the most inefficient way possible of transferring large files.

It is a *good* thing that your provider has a cap on outgoing attachments.

Ok point taken pal, but I know everyone i'm sending them to has broadband so that shouldn't be an issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Send more than one email then. Or just upload them somewhere. Unless people want to make 40ft posters out of them having such larger photos is wasteful. Make them smaller and if people want better quality/large pics email them on then.

damien.m wrote:
    Send more than one email then. Or just upload them somewhere. Unless people want to make 40ft posters out of them having such larger photos is wasteful. Make them smaller and if people want better quality/large pics email them on then.

I'm uploading them now, and i'll just send the link on. Point taken, but i'm still not convinced that its a good thing. What about sending powerpont presentations or things like that. Anyone into that kind of thing will know how quickly they can built up in size. Anyway, thanks for all the replies ill just do it differently in future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Like I said, the mechanics of email make it a bad choice for transferring large attachments.

It is generally faster to put things like that on a website or an ftp site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

general (n)etiquette dictates against sending large files via email.

then again there's always winzip or winrar, however they're not much use for jpegs as they already use compression
    win xp & mac osx natively handle zip files as well

however, they are good for compressing word / powerpoint etc files

eg - an ms word doc with a pasted-in screenshot, in bitmap format, can be about 2 meg. however when zipped it can be as small as 50 - 60 K in size

do you need to send the pics at full size?
    try reducing the initial ones you are sending. if full size is then required send them individually.

alternatively, as previously suggested, upload them & send a link instead.
    do digiweb give you webspace?

large attachments will take you ages to send & more often than not cause server timeouts

Advertisement