Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is EsatBT a viable alternative to IBB in Cork

• 20-09-2005 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭

I've been with Irishbroadband in Cork since they rolled out service in Cork, and I've seen their network slowly collapse into it's current unusable state. On a good day I get 10% packet loss but recently it's often completely unusable. I've been complaining frequently, as have others that use their service in Cork.

I work in the Broadband industry as a software developer for cable headend equipment, so I've been capable of holding many meaningful techinical discussions about the service and no matter how much they continue to reassure me that they are trying to resolve the issues, I am finally convinced that they cannot fix my broadband service.

So I'm going to cancel ASAP. I'm a half-life mod developer and I need a reliable and high-quality connection. So I'm currently looking at EsatBT as an alternative. I'm willing to pay a premium for a better contention ratio as long as it provides low latencies and no sustained packet loss.

My line passes for pretty much everyone, and Esat appear to have the best deal ( at least on paper ). They provide the largest download cap, which is essential for my purposes.

Is there anyone out there using Esat's broadband plus in Cork who could comment on the quality of their service? I'd really like to hear from you.

Regards,
    Harry Walsh

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

Dial up would be a viable option to IBB............
    mind you sowould a carrier pigeon.....
    Anyway I'm on esat plus (BT) in Dublin..no problems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

I have the same problem, but i am now out of my contract, Why not Try novanetworks.ie cork based and ment to be excellent....?
    puzl wrote:
    I've been with Irishbroadband in Cork since they rolled out service in Cork, and I've seen their network slowly collapse into it's current unusable state. On a good day I get 10% packet loss but recently it's often completely unusable. I've been complaining frequently, as have others that use their service in Cork.

I work in the Broadband industry as a software developer for cable headend equipment, so I've been capable of holding many meaningful techinical discussions about the service and no matter how much they continue to reassure me that they are trying to resolve the issues, I am finally convinced that they cannot fix my broadband service.

So I'm going to cancel ASAP. I'm a half-life mod developer and I need a reliable and high-quality connection. So I'm currently looking at EsatBT as an alternative. I'm willing to pay a premium for a better contention ratio as long as it provides low latencies and no sustained packet loss.

My line passes for pretty much everyone, and Esat appear to have the best deal ( at least on paper ). They provide the largest download cap, which is essential for my purposes.

Is there anyone out there using Esat's broadband plus in Cork who could comment on the quality of their service? I'd really like to hear from you.

Regards,
    Harry Walsh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

Puzl, PM me dude. You still have my number?

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭puzl

beller b, it's sad that your witty comments are entirely accurate :(

powerhousedan, thanks for the pointer. I'm out of contract too :D

Chaz my man, I'll call you tomorrow. We need to catch up anyway, you still with Digiweb? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭hazbot

Was with EsatBT in Cork since Christmas (still would be, if I had the choice)

Installation was troublesome, mainly because they kept forgetting to enable my account on their server for login purposes.

After that though, I had 9 months or so of good service with no hassles at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭shamalive

I was with BT in Cork for over 12 months,
    never had a problem, and found the quality of service was to a high standard,
    their billing dept is another issue altogether but thats beside the point.

Although I was on the Churchfield exchange so there probably wasn't too many
    other norries using the service at the time ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭WillieFlynn

I found BT ordering web ordering system was hopeless........... I eventualy decided to go with netsource which while a bit pricy give a good service.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Plasmoid

I've been using Esat BT for my broadband in the Glasheen area of Cork since June of last 2004. The broadband itself has been virtually flawless.

Unfortunitly I have had problems with overcharging for the best part of a year but so long as you keep an eye on your bill unlike me you should be fine.

The only concern is the slow upload speed... meaning your going to struggle to reach a sustained speed of over 10 kb/s on any of their plans.

Definitly an alternative to IBB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 129 ✭✭din0saur

Plasmoid wrote:
    Unfortunitly I have had problems with overcharging for the best part of a year but so long as you keep an eye on your bill unlike me you should be fine.

How do they overcharge, is it easy to spot? Is it hard to get the excess charges refunded? My impression from other threads is that trying to get a straight or logical answer from the billing or support departments is not for the faint of heart ;-)

I am interested in their €40 broadband & line rental bundle, does anyone have any impressions good or bad of their fixed line phone service? We are heavy phone users and that would be my number 1 priority.

Advertisement