Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Curfew for a 17 year old

Options
  • 20-09-2005 8:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Orionetheus

What is the latest hour you would let your 17 year old son out? If he was a smart guy (knows how to keep his nose clean), has his phone, and you have a general idea of where he will be?

10pm?
    11pm?
    12am?
    1am?

Just trying to find out what the general feel is.

Comments

well i'm 16, but am very young compared to my friends, and have matured to their age (17/18), so my parents treat me like a 17/18 year old. I don't have a designated Curfew, but for parties and nights out i usually end up home around 3. The deal is i tell them what time i expect to be home at, and if i stick to it, then i get to do that next time. A bit of responsability and trust is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

outside dublin and limerick, around 1 in dublin around 12 to 1 depending on where you live in the city IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

What is the latest hour you would let your 17 year old son out? If he was a smart guy (knows how to keep his nose clean), has his phone, and you have a general idea of where he will be?

When you say "general idea" do you mean he will be at a friends or wandering round town?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Orionetheus

Either one

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Is he at school or at college? I was 17 in 6th year and basically on week nights my parents wanted me in around 10.30 which I thought was fair enough cause I was wrecked from studying/school anyway. At weekends and during holidays, probably 12/1. When I started college though I was still 17 and as long as I told my parents I was going to be home late and they weren't wondering why I wasn't home then I didn't have a curfew, they appreciated I didn't want to be treated as a child anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

What angeldelight said seems fairly bang on.

But if he's off at his friends house down the road, maybe 2 or 3. D18 where you are is pretty much dead around that time from what I see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Orionetheus

Is he at school or at college?.

"He" is me. I'm trying to prove a point to my dad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

I'm 16 and it depends who I'm out with, if I have to walk home on my own it's generally 11, with others 11:30/12.

If I'm out with my older brother, we get on surprisingly well and my running club mates are his too it's usually just don't wake us up or let us know whose you're staying at.

Tbh there's not much after 11:30/12 to do legally for a 17 year old

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Don't think I had one of weekends, just had to tell them when I should be home or send them a text if i wasn't coming home or was going to be late.

Think I'd be home around 11 on weekdays of my own choice because I'd be wrecked. Actually during LC was in school until 10 so I never went out anyway.

• Site Banned Posts: 152 ✭✭Resurrection

When I was 17 I often wouldn't come home or phone home. I ended up turning into a lovely young lad(haha). Let him decide himself within reason.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

At 17 the child should be doing 4 hours study a night; this means that with school and sport they shouldn't be looking to go out at all during the week.

If he doesn't respect himself enough to study and to stay in as a consequence than he is a child and should be treated as such.

At the weekend I would allow a curfew of 2 but if he came home drunk would drop it to eleven. However teenagers get alot of pleasure from doing nothing and you shuouldn't assume that he is up to no good if he stays out late.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

10 during the week providing all his homework is done!!! if he sticks to this give him some extra time at the weekend. if he knows hel get something out of doing this hel stick to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Weekends 12-1 AM. Weekdays is a hard one due to study etc. As long as your studying enough it shouldn't be much of an issue as long if you don't abuse it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

im 19, i never really had a curfew. My parents gave me a chance to prove myself when i was younger so when i did they let me stay out late(well, depends where i was). I found when they did enforce a strict cerfew i found myself just breaking it to defy them(typical teenage attitude) but now they trust me to come home when i know is right.

hope that helps

EDIT: If i was a parent i would do the same as my parents did, but if i had to i would say 1-2 on a weekend and during the week as long as they have their study done i would say 11. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Weeknights - 11pm
    One night on the weekend should be unlimited IMHO, as long as your back in bed by the time your parents wake up :)

Pretty much as Dinagtron says though - if you're actually doing work it won't be an issue if you got out late once a week...

• Registered Users Posts: 78,414 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I'm thinking last bus territory, but its really down to where said 17 year old is and what he is doing.

Hanging around street corners making a nuisance of themselves is what many a teenager does.

Being in someone's house / in company / kept active / under modicum of supervision should allow some more leeway. Track record might also help. Reasonable performance across a range of measurements (school, sports, social involvement) would also help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

Hahah, i just never came home :D , find a friend who's parents dont care and just tell your folks your sleeping there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭Brian017

If I had kids, I'd say around 10:30pm

• Registered Users Posts: 65,419 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Clearly, you have confidence in your son. Maybe show him some respect that he has obviously earned by being responsible and let him decide what time to come home? He's only a bit away from being an adult now

Advertisement