Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Licences For Video Rental

Options
  • 20-09-2005 9:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

Does anyone know where the likes of Xtra Vision and chartbusters get their licences.

Being searching for ages but nothing?

Would appreciate any info at all!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

I might be Waaaaay off the mark. But, don't they pay massive amounts for a rental copy of a dvd/video.

Or do they actually need a license?

And news/media is hardly the place for this.

John

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

They do need a licence, but not sure where you'd get it. I'm passing this thread onto a more suitable forum where you might find the answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

If I were you, I'd stroll in Laser (Lazer?) on George's Street in Dublin city centre and just ask them. They're very normal, nice lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭OMcGovern

You do realise that video shops are losing business to people with broadband internet who can download films illegally for free, even ones which aren't available on DVD yet ?
    I haven't rented a single film out since I got broadband installed.

So I won't invest a single Euro in that industry....

regards,
    Owen

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

OMcGovern wrote:
    You do realise that video shops are losing business to people with broadband internet who can download films illegally for free, even ones which aren't available on DVD yet ?
    I haven't rented a single film out since I got broadband installed.

So I won't invest a single Euro in that industry....

regards,
    Owen

Erm... quite a rash case of tunnel vision, there, sport.

You do realise, of course, that:

(i) you may not always have access to illegitmate copyrighted material (in fact, I'd venture less and less as both processing power increases and the DMCA effects -and enforcement of same- keeps pervading digital content ever more and make counterfeiting/screening increasingly difficult to do/distribute/anonymously);

(ii) a license will still be required by online video shops (distributing online streams instead of discs/tapes); and

(iii) online video rental is (in time) gonna be bigger than Blockbusters/XtraVision could ever have dreamt their brick franchises to ever get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

Even if OMcGovern's logic is flawed (re illegal downloads), his point is valid. As you point out there are significant other likely competitors to a physical DVD rental shop. Sites such as DVDRentals.ie and recent announcements of DVD discs that will last a week or for the rental market.
    And then there is the video streaming side of things. Video on demand has been available in Hong Kong for 7-8 years now. Over broadband connections. This would be my preference: parking can be a pain near video stores, so actually getting and returning the movie can be a hassle.
    Best to point out some of the competitors too to the OP. He doesn't seem to have done due diligence yet...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

You need a licence from the film censor to sell or rent videos or DVD's.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Yes.

All bodies must be registered to sell/rent vidoes under the Video Registrations Acts, 1989 under the censor John Kelleher. I think it's maintained by an annual licence method.

The Irish Films Censor Office

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭leftofcentre

I agree, i use an online DVD post library, they are great. Have a read of this:

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/review/story/0,,1544046,00.html

Mind you I think this is a cool idea:
    http://www.infofranchise.ie/Info/scheda.cfm?FranchisorID=4204&strKey=ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭bounty

2 video shops near me just closed down

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Would I be right in thinking that Xtra-vision pretty much have the rental market sown up around the country? A Chartbusters outlet closed recently here in Ballina, I was told permanently, and the selection in the local independent store is just getting worse.

Advertisement