Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magnet broadband and more

• 20-09-2005 9:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭

www.magnet.ie

This looks savage :D

Is there anyone out there lucky enough to live in one of their enabled areas?

Anyone using their service now?

B2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

How do you know if you're in one of their areas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

Same question here. Checked everywhere on their site and no indication of areas covered. Sounds like another of those "tell you you want our services and we will think about it"...

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,814 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

There was a Magnet ad on the TV earlier, in which they claim to have the fastest broadband in Ireland. Their website claims something similar.

I think the good people of Dungarvan would beg to differ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

I'd say Cablesurf is available to more potential subscribers as well...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

my god id go for that tbh.

http://www.magnet.ie/services/fibre-to-the-home.aspx

Dublin

* Grange/Clongriffin
    * Northern Cross
    * Beacon South Quarter
    * Chancery Lane
    * Balgriffin Park

Meath

* Dunboyne Castle

Laois

* Fairgreen Village, Portlaoise

fiber optics, seems that there currently installed in new housing develpments....damn

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Sparky_S wrote:
    fiber optics, seems that there currently installed in new housing develpments....damn

I believe they are rolling out ADSL2+ using LLU, similiar to Smart.

Well this is good news, more competition will be nice.

BTW to anyone from Magnet reading this, your site isn't working properly in Firefox.

With Magnet now offering the triple pay, I expect we will see NTL offering the triple play also (by adding voice), as well as Smart and Digiweb Metro (by adding video) very soon.

It is interesting but triple play packages actually make all the pain and expense of LLU bareable for Smart/Magnet.

With all of these triple play packages going around I expect it will only be a matter of time before Eircom also starts rolling ADSL2+ out and also start offering the tripple play, then things wil get really competitive. In particular between NTL and Eircom.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

A quick warning for people thinking of getting TV over Broadband (often called IPTV or BoD), if you are hoping to feed more then one TV or a VCR (watch two differnet channels at once) from these sort of services you may run into problems.

Due to bandwidth limitations, it is likely only one channel can be transmitted over each DSL connection, so you would likely need to get a second line for a second feed.

Just something to think about if you have many TV's in your house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Beta2

look at this http://www.magnet.ie/services/coming-soon.aspx

seems pretty sweet, am I right in thinking that this is the first company with a decent product offering in Ireland.

The only question is when ( hopefully not if ) they will come to my area?

I saw their add on TV, They must have plans to roll out across the country, they'd hardly run tv adds for the few areas they supply right now would they?

4 megs upload, that sounds brill :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Ronin

Check out the news post below for some info. They have some of the exchanges in there. ADSL2!

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/news.nv?storyid=single5418

There bandwidth and caps sound pretty sweet as well. 4Mb/512kb with 100GB cap for their top offering. Plus digital tv is nice as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

I'll be going for them _very_ soonish so I'll let you know how the BB performs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭WezzyB

I registered my interest on their website and they rang me today, said that I wouldn't be able to avail of the digital tv just yet, probably not for 6 months or so.

But that I would be able to get Wireless Broadband 2048 down/512 up (25 Gig cap) for 29 a month (I think).

I was a bit surprised by this as I thought that the Magnet offering was phone line based.

I asked the CSR about this and she said that it was definitely Wireless and that they had done a 'line-test' for this on my Phone Number.

She said that when the Digital TV would be available it would be via the Phone Line.

I guess they are just trying to sell the 'old' Leap Wireless as a stopgap to their triple play.

ridiculous. I was told yesterday that the phibsboro exchange was enabled and that I could get the advatage package whenever I wanted.

I ring back today as their salespeople (surprise bloody surprise) never rang me back, and I'm told that the phibsboro exchange isn't enabled, and that it won't be for 3-6 months. However, they would be more than happy to provide me with DSL 2meg/128k for 29 a month (or something like that) and that I'd receive a FREE!!!!!! upgrade when the exchange was unbundled.

So, in other words, they're reselling Eircom's DSL, comparing it to Wireless products, as well as Esat's reseller prices, and saying that it's the best thing since sliced bread.

Good god it's another f*cking company that's spouting anything it can to customers, while advertising it's "amazing new technology" but can't actually provide it.

And I couldn't care less if it's Eircom's heel-dragging that's causing the delays, Magnet (and Smart) are advertising products that they can't deliver on. It's bloody annoying, and I wouldn't be surprised if 80% of those ringing up to be signed up to Magnet are hearing that their exchanges aren't enabled and won't be for 3-6 months.

*fuming*

They can provide it, unfortunately you spoke to someone who didn't know what they were talking about when they told you you could get it in Phibs.

The new housing estates they're putting fibre into (Archers Wood in D15 for example) are using this technology, apartments have 4Mb broadband, the phone service, a service to monitor house alarm, turn cooker/lights/immersion on, and IPTV services with video on demand.

I'm not sure how they can offer IPTV over dsl just yet but where they are using fibre it *is* happening.

eth0_ wrote:
    They can provide it, unfortunately you spoke to someone who didn't know what they were talking about when they told you you could get it in Phibs.
    Tthis exact problem is all too common in Ireland.
    And it's becoming a royal pain in the ass too.

zoro wrote:
    Tthis exact problem is all too common in Ireland.
    And it's becoming a royal pain in the ass too.

Well yes, i'd agree with you there :)

Advertisement