Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD vs Derry

Options
  • 20-09-2005 10:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭

The league cup final that was on tonight....The reason I'm posting this here rather than the soccer forum is that I was wondering how people feel about their colleges sporting achievements???

Granted UCD lost tonight but the soccer and other teams such as rugby and gaelic teams to name but a few are well known and respected throughout the country.

But how does the average student feel about how the teams perform??Even if you're not into sport do you feel a sense of pride when you hear they do well or are you at best apathetic???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,588 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I'm a Bohs man. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Don't care even about the rugby. Theres just no sense of involvement or kinship with those who play.

Give me my school in the schools rugby anyday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

Yeah I agree with you, in my old school there was much more comraderie and support for teams and I remember a few times being genuinely disappointed if we lost, regardless of the sport or whether I was on the team.

tbh I wasn't that bothered about ucd losing tonight even though soccer would be my favourite sport over GAA and rugby

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭GusherING

I'd say the College is the most diappointed. UCD aren't going to be in the Setanta Cup now, with a cracking prize of €350,000 for the winners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

I went to the match last night as a neutral. As a Shels fan I was hoping Derry would win as it would guarantee that we would qualify for the Copa del Setanta (providing we finish 3rd) but I would have liked the college to win some silverware. It was a good, free flowing, fast game which was quite absorbing to watch.

As a Shels fan obviosuly I'm not going to cheer for UCD but I do keep a close eye on their performances but they are never going to attract crowds to Belfield Park. The fact that most of the players aren't actual students probably loses the attractiveness to watching UCD.
    I'm a Bohs man. ;)

So Mr.Nice Guy is a member of the BSC heh?

Scum!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭ergo

when I was studying in UCD (1996-2002) I found the lack of support from other students very frustrating when going to Belfield Park

I did my best to drag people along and for a while there they really tried to encourage people out and switching to friday night games etc, I suppose summer football (if it stays) has effectively killed any chance of this happening

not being from Dublin or particularly near any other Eircom league club I had no other allegiance so took UCD as my own and for a season or two went to every home game that I could,

I suppose they'll always be my #1 Eircom League club, subsequently lived behind Dalymount for a few years and went to a few of those Boh's games but usually just the UCD ones, I think it's hard for people outside Dublin to adopt a Dublin Eircom League club and UCD made sense to me (especially living on campus for 3 years, and they play nice football)

gets frustrating sitting in the stand completely surrounded and outnumbered by (insert name of opposition team here)'s fans, especially the Dublin ones cos you really feel isolated at these games

and also watching most of the good, established, experienced players inevitably (and I suppose understandably) leaving for other EL clubs where they will be idolised/abused by a lot of hardcore supporters, is not easy

another point: the Sigerson (GAA) etc are not exactly hugely supported either and all of these players are students and majority are intercounty

at the same time, I try and get out to Belfield Park whenever it's possible but not very often with the hours I'm doing at the minute,
    managed to play there once in a Superleague cup final which was fantastic and I always love going out to games there, despite the frustration of feeling like the "away" team all the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

tribulus wrote:
    I remember a few times being genuinely disappointed if we lost, regardless of the sport or whether I was on the team.

That's because we lsot out on a half day, be honest.

UCD loseing was good for Shels so I was fecking delighted with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭John_C

The crowd was brilliant last night. I was impressed by the number of UCD GAA and Rugby shirts I saw people in.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,588 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

So Mr.Nice Guy is a member of the BSC heh?

Scum!

I would respond with some criticism for Shels supporters, but criticising Shels supporters is like booing at the Special Olympics.

Pat Paterson is a Bohs man! FACT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

John_C wrote:
    The crowd was brilliant last night. I was impressed by the number of UCD GAA and Rugby shirts I saw people in.

Derry fans deserve all the cred...... a great bunch of lads.
    I would respond with some criticism for Shels supporters, but criticising Shels supporters is like booing at the Special Olympics.

Ehm... ehem........ irony. :rolleyes:
    Pat Paterson is a Bohs man! FACT!

Sorry,
    Pat Paterson does not only go to Dublin eL games involving Shels or Rovers.
    Pat is not casual.
    Pat does not wear a reebok hoodie with a Burberry baseball cap worn at a 90 degree angle.
    Pat does not break into an opposition teams ground the night before a match and spray scary messages of ''Judas'' all over the ground.
    Pat does not throw threatening missiles such as sausages at linesmen.
    Pat does not spend a whole match staring at opposition fans giving them cut-throat gestures while not even looking at the match once during the 90 minutes
    and Pat is a good football supporter........

that's why Pat is a Monaghan United fan!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

I went as a neutral, kind of. It was hard not to wish Derry won for the sakes on Shelbourne, but a few nasty injuries wouldn't have gone amiss ;) Thankfully Derry didn't impress me much, despite their win, so I remain hopeful for the season to come!

For UCD's sake, long balls to Murphy (I think it was Anto Murphy anyways) didn't work too well, it's like playing hoofball to Mini Me! :d

Einst&#252 wrote: »
    For UCD's sake, long balls to Murphy (I think it was Anto Murphy anyways) didn't work too well, it's like playing hoofball to Mini Me! :d
    Especially when Mini Me is being marked by Clive Delaney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Dont really follow ucd soccer at all-they should really advertise it a bit better than putting a few posters up the day before the match!If id known that match was on id definatly have gone to it but we are quite isolated out in the terrace!Went to a few ucd football gaa games last year cos i knew a few of the lads in the team but i find you cant get behind them as much cos there is so much politics in ucd sport.Not naming names but last year there was lots better midfielders than eamonn o'cuiv but i suppose when your daddys a minister....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

yeah i had a little ucd outfit and everything with pompoms too!nah only jokin-lived next door to one of the guys in belgrove and he would make me come down to support in return for using his george foreman grill!

To be fair I don't think that a lack of advertising is the problem. The fixtures and results are announced on national TV and Radio as well as in all the college media. I'd be surprised if there are too many people in UCD who genuinly aren't aware that UCD fields a soccer team in the eircom league. Or for that matter that UCD fields a team in the top league in most sports. If UCD beat Bray this evening I promise I'll put a post up here to help advertise the Cup Semi.
    We had a big crowd at the game last Tuesday because it was such a big game.

Advertisement