Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ntl D15

• 20-09-2005 10:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭

Anyone getting spikes tonight / high latency? seems a bit laggy for some strange reason !

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭DaveD

I've had no problems until last night i couldn't connect, seems NTL BB was down. Anyone else have the same problem ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

DaveD wrote:
    I've had no problems until last night i couldn't connect, seems NTL BB was down. Anyone else have the same problem ?

whats your location mate? was a bit spikey around 9:30 - 10 !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭DaveD

I'm in Blanchardstown but everything is fine now :)

anyone getting very slow speeds this weekend ??

I'm on about 512 on a 3 meg package!

boohhhh

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

D9 working fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Terminator

I'm in D15 and I got NTL 3Meg about 2 weeks ago and have been very disappointed with pings / latency. I'm lucky if I can get 75 ping to most multiplay.co.uk servers.

Downloading is fine at 300k per second but is this high ping / packet loss acceptable for cable broadband? I was on netsource DSL before and my pings were 50-60 tops.

where in D15?

Westend beside Blanch Shopping Centre

I'm in Carpenterstown !

it was fantastic before but last fwe days a bit laggy !!

Well I thinks a bit crap the past 2 weeks latency-wise. I'll give them a ring tomorrow I suppose.

• Advertisement

not to be "bitching" but the nodes are a bit overloaded so I've been told today and they are working on it ! It great to see the proactive as apposed to the reactive approach of our BB providers! and the freedom of expression on Boards being noted by NTL tech support.

Keep it rolling lads !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

I'm in D.15 and and it was very slow for me earlier and yesterday. Suddenly seems better in the last hour. My pings have never been very good. Anyone want to compare pings to a couple of sites?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭aaf

Lads, this is not the kind of news I want to be hearing one week before I'm due to get NTL BB installed. Next Monday is the big day. Hopefully, these were only glitches in the network! :rolleyes:

demand is high in d15 as DSL and Wireless is so poor in coverage! hence high demand !

Good pings in the day but after 7:00 - 10:30 pinga re about 50ms to the first hop.

aaf wrote:
    Lads, this is not the kind of news I want to be hearing one week before I'm due to get NTL BB installed. Next Monday is the big day. Hopefully, these were only glitches in the network! :rolleyes:

To be honest the pings haven't been good the whole time I've had it. I've had some outages aswell. Definately improved a lot over the past couple of months though, when they upgraded the lines, and came out and tweaked the signal strength I was getting. The ASDL products seem to have better pings than NTL's DSL. I would have expected the reverse. I do (unwilling) support for a few friends and relatives in the area, and they all seem to have less problems then me, and better connections.

That said I ran a few pings to day and they seemed a lot faster than they used to be. Which is odd since the web feels slow.

To be honest the pings haven't been good the whole time I've had it. I've had some outages aswell. Definately improved a lot over the past couple of months though, when they upgraded the lines, and came out and tweaked the signal strength I was getting. The ASDL products seem to have better pings than NTL's DSL. I would have expected the reverse. I do (unwilling) support for a few friends and relatives in the area, and they all seem to have less problems then me, and better connections.

That said I ran a few pings to day and they seemed a lot faster than they used to be. Which is odd since the web feels slow.

Think all of the area is same! NTL has been PERFECT since May! until last Monday week, and I did not call until today.

its also fiunnny how a few houses have DSL in the area an others don't ? ever get an answer to that one?

Drapper wrote:
    Think all of the area is same! NTL has been PERFECT since May! until last Monday week, and I did not call until today.

its also fiunnny how a few houses have DSL in the area an others don't ? ever get an answer to that one?

Everyone else I know with broadband has ASDL (5-10 people) and are happy with it. Mind you none of them are IT people. I know two other IT professionals in the area and neither of them can get ASDL OR NTL DSL. Since I can't get ASDL either theres a certain irony to that isn't there. We can't get ASDL because the line fails, and we're in newer houses, (4yrs old) while all the people have old lines and house that are 20yrs old.

Ironic eh. The people who want/need it can't get it. The people who don't need it can get it. :rolleyes:

Actually there is a number of houses in Riverwood and Luttrelstown with DSL ! A few next to the apartments in Riverwood Deen and next to the new School !!

So whoever gave you the old houses can get is wrong! they should really look into installin a mini plex unit for ADSL in the area they only cost a fraction of what they use to be ! around €75k. Boosts the inital signal from Blanch.

Seen it done by Eircom and BT in areas they were mad to get into !! (Business Customers)

Well obviously I have DSL and am in a new house. Its just an ironic coincidence among the people I know. Especially since Eircoms usual line is that the line is too old or too far from the exchange.

lol

ahh sure what do we need good BB for? sure working from home is foreign to some !

• Advertisement

My connection is still feels very slow even though I'm getting good pings. Strange.

just checked Irish Speed test:- Direction

Downstream 1774 Kbps (221.8 KB/sec) 1915 Kbps (inc. overheads)
    Upstream 266 Kbps (33.3 KB/sec) 287 Kbps (inc. overheads)

down stream is dropping

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭s0l

This isnt looking good, getting NTL 2mb installed in Finglas in a week and a half.
    But apart from that I suppose here is better than creating a new thread to ask
    my NTL related question.
    How stringently do they enforce their caps? I noticed on the site that 'if you
    repeatedly download more than 1gb a day you will be capped to 1gb a day.'
    Have any of you had this done? and by capped to 1gb a day do they mean that
    after the 1gb level is reached your download ability ceases to exist? or both
    download and upload ceases to exist?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

s0l wrote:
    How stringently do they enforce their caps?

NTL are one of the fairest and least stringent enforcers of caps.

I believe the cap is actually 30GB a month now, so if you do 2GB on day one and nothing on day two then it isn't a problem.

Also many people go over the cap and never hear anything from them. The only thing they have ever done is write letters and call people who regularly go well over the cap and nicely ask them to curtail their downloading for the benefit of all the other customers.

BK and Sol i think its a D15 thing other areas are perfect! thier service is A1, I've had IBB and I know what poor BB is !

Just a case of high demand and cramming of users on thier routers, plus with 3 months free most are takling the 3meg for the first three months maxing it out and then downgrading!

Signal strenghts are perfect so its not a cable issue in my case.

I rang them today to talk about the high pings / latency. I explained that browsing / downloading large files is fine but gaming sucks. The girl said my cable modem checked out fine but there did appear to be some issues with the line feeding into mine and other connections in that area and that it will be looked at in the next few days.

Terminator wrote:
    I rang them today to talk about the high pings / latency. I explained that browsing / downloading large files is fine but gaming sucks. The girl said my cable modem checked out fine but there did appear to be some issues with the line feeding into mine and other connections in that area and that it will be looked at in the next few days.

will it every be right!

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭uRbaN

My NTL d9 was excellent, went very poor, and after a complaint seems to have slightly improved...

God I always speak too quick !

anyone else in D15 having latecy issues in the past 3 weeks?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 smorgesbord

Why do people keep referring to NTL's DSL service on this thread?
    There's no copper involved, it's provided over the TV network.

Advertisement