Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vanity and style - different or the same?

• 20-09-2005 10:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭

Do you think people who go to certain lengths to look after their image or appearance can be called vain, or is vain too negative a word and it is more about the succesful projection of ones image/taste/style in an expressive and not necessarily indulgent way? And where do you draw the line?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

You don't have to be vain to have style.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Nope they're different.
    I'm not arsed explaining, just thought I'd answer the question :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

You can be vain and still have no style. People who are vain don't necessarily look good. Everyone has different tastes and I think style is wearing something that suits you and that you know how to team with clothing you like. Being vain is just caring/spending a lot of time on your look. A dictionary could have told you that...

Vain: Excessively proud of one's appearance or accomplishments; conceited.

Stylish: having elegance or taste or refinement in manners or dress.

Source: www.dictionary.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

i think people with style are rarely vain...lets say somebody gorgeous with a great dress sense and overall appearence is full of themselves...i think that takes away from their style because if u truly have style ur personality and how u present yourself is as big a factor as the clothes or hair style you choose...my 2 cents

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭abercrombie

LadyLotts wrote:
    You can be vain and still have no style. People who are vain don't necessarily look good. Everyone has different tastes and I think style is wearing something that suits you and that you know how to team with clothing you like. Being vain is just caring/spending a lot of time on your look. A dictionary could have told you that...

Vain: Excessively proud of one's appearance or accomplishments; conceited.

Stylish: having elegance or taste or refinement in manners or dress.

Source: www.dictionary.com
    ditto

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭electric69

I think a vain person is constantly looking for a mirror or their reflection in everything while a stylish person makes sure they look good before they go out..

Abercrombie if i have to look at your sig for another 96 days im going to hire a hit man....seriously.....its September.....pleaseee... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

Moral of this thread: buy a dictionary before you make a total fool of yourself. Style and vanity are totally different things. Anyone with any kind of grasp of the English language can tell you that. Unless they're from the school of thought that dictates that anything can be translated into anything else. They're still wrong but they do their best to look like total fools while proving this to other people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

electric69 wrote:
    Abercrombie if i have to look at your sig for another 96 days im going to hire a hit man....seriously.....its September.....pleaseee... :D

I agree, its waaayyy too early for that...thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

LadyLotts wrote:
    Moral of this thread: buy a dictionary before you make a total fool of yourself. Style and vanity are totally different things. Anyone with any kind of grasp of the English language can tell you that. Unless they're from the school of thought that dictates that anything can be translated into anything else. They're still wrong but they do their best to look like total fools while proving this to other people.

Wow!! Relax there sunshine. I was simply trying to open up a bit of discussion, didnt think I'd be greeted with such hostility. Firstly, Im not trying to imply that those who are style conscious are vain. Maybe my original post didnt explain clearly enough, but I was merely trying to get some other peoples views on the relation between "vanity" and "style". As in, to what extent do they go hand in hand, if at all.

Many people are very style-conscious. To an outsider, that may appear that they are somewhat vain. But the said person could very well be far from vain. I have great admiration for people who take care in how they present themselves. While I certainly do look after my appearance, I dont think I have the creativity regarding fashion to develop or maintain a strong style for myself - if I see something in a clothes shop that I like, I'll buy it, and that would be the extent of the assembly of my "style" as such. In saying this, I think I dress pretty good :D For reasons beyond this, whether Im "vain" or not, I dont know. Probably am :p

But anyway, back to the discussion. To what extent does looking after ones style carry a bit of vanity? Or can they be completely detached? If Mr.X goes to great lengths to ensure he looks the way he wants to look, is there even a small sense of vanity behind this perpetuation? Not that this would necessarily be a bad thing. Maybe style and vanity go hand in hand, but the extremeties of one blur out the other? And in vanitys case, become something negative rather than positive...

It would seem style is something radiated almost involuntarily. Style is a given. Whereas vanity is a condition of the pursuit of style (or lack of, according to some people!)

Advertisement