Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easy Screed

Options
  • 20-09-2005 11:52pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Lads,

Looking for info on the "easy screed", handy for the UFH. What companies do it or would a man be able to do it ourselves?

Any idea of costings?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Eve1

I was driving through Oranmore and I saw a machine with this number 091-790137. The problem is, even though I got the number I didn't have time to type the name in my phone and I have forgotten it. Sorry, but you could always give them a shout and see if they are up to much.

Eve

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Only number I have for Easy screed is Jerry beades in Dublin.
    01 8373555

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Eve1

(half asleep, hit reply before I was finished)

We also got a quote from a company who do easy screed, way too expensive for us. It was €21 a sq meter plus €500 installation fee (Beades concrete 01- 8373555). That price is based on a maximum depth of 35mm. The thing I was unsure of is that it is made from the ash of German power stations. I know nothing about it but it is something I will look into if we do go with easy screed.

Eve

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭patrido

it's mad expensive alright - i think i was quoted 4100+vat for 180sqm at 40mm thickness. it's mixed on site and as far as i remember, they quote seperately for the stuff and the hire of the pump.

however, when you compare it with the hassle of putting in a sand/cement screed it might well be worth the expense. it will save lots of time too, as iirc you can walk on it after a few hours and turn on the heating after 7 days.

i'm not sure it it's diyable - easy screed for one is a brand name and at one point beades were the only ones here doing it. i don't know if they'd deliver it to you, then allow you to mix it, and install it yourself while they look on, or drive back to dublin and pick the gear up later. you'd have to hire the pump yourself too.

there should be other variations available. it's basically a calcium sulphate (or anhydrite) based self levelling screed, sometimes referred to as flow screed. ufh brochures and other books make it sound like you should be able to get it in your local londis, but i've found hens teeth easier to find. if you find anywhere else, let us know please :)

beades say that it can be installed at a minimum 35mm thickness, but your ufh supplier will likely recommend a bit more for a flow screed adding to the expense. heatmerchants specify 40mm, nu-heat 50mm.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Mother of god that is expensive!!

We have to rise our floors by about 6.5 inches, so I am not sure if we go with 2" insulation with 4" screed or 3" of each or 4" insulation + 2" screed.

I am sure there has to be a cheaper alternative to that! Irish labour costs strike again!!
    Probably fly over a few Polish lads with the pump for 1/2 the price!!

What would I be googling for I wonder, easy screed, flow screed?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭patrido

i would put in minimum screed and maximum insulation i.e. 4+2 :) anyhow, 2 inches probably won't achieve a uvalue of 0.25 for the floor - depending on the shape of the house it's likely to be at least 65-70mm. also more screed means more thermal mass and that means more lag.

when i googled for easy screed, flow screed, calcium sulph(f)ate, anhydrite, etc, i didn't get a whole lot, but self levelling or liquid screed seemed a bit more promising.

i found beades by asking heatmerchants' ufh guy. google doesn't seem to even know they exist. polytherm also mention flow screed in their brochure so they might know someone else.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Patrido - I goggled Polytherm and a crowd who sell screeding machines in Irelad to see if they know of anyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 stephen brennan

Try smbconstruction@eircom.net firm in offaly that mix's and sand & cement screed with a fibre through it and are cost effective.

Try smbconstruction@eircom.net firm in offaly that mix's and sand & cement screed with a fibre through it and are cost effective.

Now thats hardly StephenMichaelBrennan Construction now is it Stephen?????? :D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,417 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

patrido wrote:
    i would put in minimum screed and maximum insulation i.e. 4+2 :) anyhow, 2 inches probably won't achieve a uvalue of 0.25 for the floor - depending on the shape of the house it's likely to be at least 65-70mm.

The regs U-Value of 0.25 has nothing to do with the shape of your house, perimeter or area. 0.25 is the elemantal value, THe total overall heat loss value depends on the shape of your house, but only the total value changes.

And beside, I recommand that anyone building doesn't stop at the regs, they are min values. Any money you spend now, will increase the value of your house, and reduce your bills.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭lfcjfc

Found this old thread when I searched for Easyscreed and was wondering has anybody got any more recent experience with using this material for flooring in place of a concrete screed.

I am looking into screeding over my UFH system and was interested in what the Jerry Beades website had to say about Easyscreed. They seem to suggest that the fact that a 35mm layer of Easyscreed is equal to a 75mm layer of standard screed means that UFH costs will be reduced by using a thinner layer. However, a lot of other sources suggest that a 75mm layer of screed is required to act as a heat sink for optimum UFH operation - has anybody used a thinner layer of Easyscreed with UFH?

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

I am putting down 50mm easyscreed in 200sq mts bungalow.Quote from beades about €5000.They will send out a dvd explaining the process and preparation work required before they come to pour.
    Company who are doing the heating system also use a company called screedtech.I don't have the number to hand but will post it later.
    Beades will only pour to a max depth of 50mm.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭lfcjfc

Thanks Bakerbhoy
    I got an initial quote off them of €7200 for a 236 sqm dormer - seems a higher rate than yours but I'm doing the first floor dormer too so maybe there's a premium for that. This was only for 35mm covering as well. I reckon that's about twice the price and more than I will pay for standard screed so will have to think hard about it. Will take a look on the web for ScreedTech.

Advertisement