Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

US: 2X01 - "Man Of Science, Man Of Faith" [**SPOILERS WITHIN**]

• 21-09-2005 12:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭

- WARNING: THIS THREAD WILL CONTAIN SPOILERS FOR THOSE WHO HAVE NOT YET SEEN "MAN OF SCIENCE, MAN OF FAITH" -

Episode Title: "Man Of Science, Man Of Faith"
    Airdate: September 21st 2005

Synopsis (from TV.Com):

The second season starts where the survivors have left off with Jack, Locke and others going down the hatch and finding out what is under there. One of the castaways is chosen to descend into the mysterious hatch, and
    Shannon stumbles upon a shockingly familiar face in the jungle.

Next New Episode: 2X02 - "Adrift" - September 28th 2005

What did you think of "Man Of Science, Man Of Faith"? 145 votes

Excellent!
    0%
    Good
    79%
    TwoShedsJacksonsatchmogandalfRonan|RavenBKtjepaulj13AnimaCabaalMr ElynchieGerardKeatingdigimanWashoutBeruthielChongbucks73KdjaCLpopey21WintersMthor5 115 votes
    Average
    17%
    mewsosuttysixpack's little hatPiELyconixCerditonetmanRobertFosterStench BlossomsJilmCactus Colchumpmr_angrycregsermonkeyfudgebestyfightin irishSullyGone WestArmen Tanzarian 25 votes
    Poor
    2%
    CrucifixTCamenL5 3 votes
    Terrible!
    1%
    Starkirishshogun 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Good
    Anyone else just a tad excited?! :D

Mightn't be able to comment on the episode til after the weekend - am leaving lunchtime Thursday for a wedding. Will make it my mission to see the episode before i leave though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 RawrLostzilla

Good
    1 more day!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭herobear

since we all will be seeing the episode at different times, whats the general protocol in terms of uncensored(spoiler tag free) discussion ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Good
    Hehe...the thread being put up makes it very exciting :D

Ummm...about spoilers,I guess if you look at the thread before you have seen the episode,its probably your own fault. I probably won't see it until Friday since my broadband sucks donkey balls :rolleyes:

okay, so need for spoiler tags, then? cool!

so my thoughts on episode 2.1,

well i found it really disturbing when jack and locke started making out, then kate started to get jealous, lol!

and poor hurley getting eaten by vincent like that! :p

.....no but seriously, i reckon early thursday people will start watching it!

• Advertisement

Good
    tvnutz wrote:
    Hehe...the thread being put up makes it very exciting :D
    Yep.. had to put up the thread to up the excitement!

Regarding spoilers:

The general consensus on spoilers back in the good ol' 'Lost' thread (** sniff sniff ** :() was that to use spoiler tags until we could assume everyone had seen the episode but to be honest.. i think all the IRL threads in the past few months discussing episodes has been pretty much spoiler-tag-free!

So.. no more spoiler tags required means this thread is high-risk for spoilage after the time of airing, agreed?! So no wandering into this thread before you've seen this episode expecting spoiler tags!

I have warnings in both the thread title and the thread-starting post so YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Good
    Does anyone know what time (local time) our american cousins will be putting our packets in the mail???

Good
    Peace wrote:
    Does anyone know what time (local time) our american cousins will be putting our packets in the mail???
    Normally about 3am..

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Good
    I'm seriously considering ringing in sick tomorrow morning :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Good
    Just hope they have a HD version up early. Its normally comes out later :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Average
    What time can i expect to find me this episode?

just a warning to everybody, ive already heard several reports of fakes already being posted by devious cousins, so make sure to wait till at LEAST 3am before you start to go look(and even later for HDTV versions), and try and keep your patience level up, fyi the fakes found so far contain anything from the season 1 clipshow, to the tv show 'prison break' and any could contain viruses!

so be on your lookout!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Good
    My cousin's sending mine over at some stage before I leave for school, so it should be the correct one.

/commencing end of thread reading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Sauron

Good
    aye, my helpful and conveniently placed cousin who I've only recently started talking to is sending mine over sometime tomorrow morning, around 9am perhaps..... but I'd estimate the travel time to be at least an hour so I wont be able to watch it until sometime after ten... (incredible postal service we have nowadays.. :rolleyes: )

Good
    I'm afraid i'm leaving for the weekend at lunchtime tomorrow and i've college in the morning so probably won't get to see it til after the weekend!

:mad:

Grrrrr..!!

Good
    Hate. That.

Why not just stay up tonight? You'll only miss out on a few hours of sleep, no big deal.

Good
    because our cousins can't just send it straight away... it takes a few hours for them to prepare it before they send it... so you'd miss a lot of sleep...

Good
    qz wrote:
    Hate. That.

Why not just stay up tonight? You'll only miss out on a few hours of sleep, no big deal.
    Maybe. I might try and bring it with me and watch it on my Archos!

But definantly won't have a review / comments until Sunday / Monday! :(

Anyways.. having an early night! if i don't see ye, enjoy it!

Good
    Lol, again, sorry to hear it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭digiman

Good
    Bit like you Basquille, I will probably have to wait until Sunday to see, I see 2 muppets have already posted on the poll even though the episode has not been seen by anyone. Of course some of these people could be the producers or cast!!! :) which would make look really stupid for saying the above

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Good
    digiman wrote:
    Bit like you Basquille, I will probably have to wait until Sunday to see, I see 2 muppets have already posted on the poll even though the episode has not been seen by anyone. Of course some of these people could be the producers or cast!!! :) which would make look really stupid for saying the above

I hate when idiots who don't like the show,vote terrible just for that reason. They havn't even seen it yet. What a tool. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭Brock

i set my alarm early to get up and throw this baby on the psp before heading into town on the dart for college cant ****ing wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭saintsaucey

Good
    How can you people in the uk watch it on episodes from your cousins if your tv and our tv have different scanning rations or something like that. (I actually studied broadcasting in college so i should know how to explain this better but i don't because I hated broadcasting in college) I'm just curious i know some of you said you are getting tapes from here in the states.

'tapes' is a metaphor for something else....we're trying to be subtle :)

what program do i need to view the seating chart on this url ??
    http://www.oceanic-air.com/seatingchart.htm

i think i accidentally uninstalled it, and now dont know what it is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Average
    How can you people in the uk watch it on episodes from your cousins if your tv and our tv have different scanning rations or something like that. (I actually studied broadcasting in college so i should know how to explain this better but i don't because I hated broadcasting in college) I'm just curious i know some of you said you are getting tapes from here in the states.
    Most modern video players and TV sets are capable of displaying both PAL and NTSC signals... I think mine can do SECAM too.

Oh.. and this is an Irish site, not a UK site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

Good
    Son of a bitch.... good episode... need more NOW!

Just watched it on ABC in Canada.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Average
    Son of a bitch.... good episode... need more NOW!

Just watched it on ABC in Canada.....
    Oh you do know we all hate you now... don't you?

Good
    Oh you do know we all hate you now... don't you?
    But I love me, and so does your ma! ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 RawrLostzilla

Good
    Fantastic, except that Jack was sorta a dick to Hurley. When hurley tells him he was in an institution. And then Desomnd... Intresting, I MISSED WHAT WALT WAS WHISPERING@@!!!!

• Advertisement

walt says:
    'I answer to no one, only to her'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Fantastic, except that Jack was sorta a dick to Hurley. When hurley tells him he was in an institution. And then Desomnd... Intresting, I MISSED WHAT WALT WAS WHISPERING@@!!!!

I think Walt was saying "Dont say anything" or something like that.

Wow, that as a great way to start the new season. I like the way Desmond said in their first encounter, "See you in another life".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭saintsaucey

Good
    How did you here what walt was whispering. I put it on captions and It said Indiscriminate whispering.

I must admit im sorry now that I read the spoilers for this before watching it. Bad Spoiler Whore Saucey. My brother called me right before the last commercial break was up and said that it was just like he predicted. It's some kind of military testing sight for a resident evil like facility, and thats why they needed walt.

My brother is officially the biggest idiot in the world.

I'll finish this later

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Good
    Oh my.... That was rather good! Although
    I think the desmond thing was a wee bit obvious when he was introduced
    but I didn't have a clue what was going on at the start of the episode. I thought my cousin had recorded the wrong program :p Sleep now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭lynchie

Good
    Just finished watching it here. Didnt need my cousin to send it to me as Im in LA. The one time I wish I had of been on the east coast so I could have seen it 3 hrs earlier.
    Was a good series opener overall. The bloke in the hatch seems to be living there a long time.. anyone notice the old fashioned exercise bike and computer at that too. Opens more questions such as how has he had power and food for that long? Another coincidence that the bloke inside is the same bloke jack met in the football stadium?

Looking forward to next weeks episode. They didnt show anything new on the preview for next weeks episode yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Average
    Sauron wrote:
    because our cousins can't just send it straight away... it takes a few hours for them to prepare it before they send it... so you'd miss a lot of sleep...
    nope. They usually have it packaged and sent within 30 minutes. And within 10 minutes for popular ones.

• Advertisement

i LOVED the opening :D even though i knew what was coming it was a great 'what the hell?' scene, the flashbacks were really long and boring(LOL at jack's wig!) really looking forward to next week now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Good
    I thought it was fantastic. I'd say some people might be a little disappointed with whats in the hatch though. Its not as epic and grand as I think most people thought it would be.

thats the thing though, the hatch hasnt even begun to be properly explored yet, more answers soon i expect ;)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Good
    What's going on with the magnetic generator thingy and control room? And what exactly are all those lights there for (The really bright ones)? What about
    Quarantine???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Average
    oh my god i cant wait until next week

• Advertisement

feylya wrote:
    What's going on with the magnetic generator thingy.....

i have a sneaking suspicion it might explain locke's dodgy compass, will learn more about im sure

Good
    What about the whole Desmond
    "I'll see you in another life"
    remark.... a little in-joke from the writers or a real clue?

Who is
    quarantined
    ?

Whats with the retro technology ... maybe a Battlestar tie in....

So many questions....

we dont really need spoiler tags in here(unless its spoiler/speculation about future episodes), since its your own fault if youre browsing this thread without seeing the episode...

that quote reminded me of nadia, didnt she say the exact same thing to sayid ?

im confused about the quarantine, desmond being quarantined from the rest of the island, or the rest of the island being quarantined from desmond ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

Good
    oh my god that was great. So good to have lost back

As for the episode

hmmmm.Still thinking about the numbers,i think (obviosly) desmond is the man quarentined. It seems it was something to do with him that the girl moved again. Then, the numbers, it seems he wrote them all over the wall of the bunker...so they were his. Hurley got hold of his numbers, and won the lottery. So again, he was a miricle maker. Maybe he was locked away for this...being a miracle maker.

I don't get the "you have to lift it up" desmond says to Jack?

also, at the start, just before the explosion, desmond types in some kind of code on the computer and than put execute. Is this important.

Its pretty clear he's a guy stuck there in the past. But why.

Or maybe desmond is an experiment.He seems to inject something into himself at the start. Maybe the computer is a log he must sign into everyday. The government put him in there, quarintened for years,taking this drug to see what happens. Now, they've let him out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Good
    OK, no need for spoilers because if you're clicking this link after NOT watching it it's your own fault.. the title is clearly marked...

My thoughts:
    * Thank God they got straight into showing us what was in the hatch, excellent opening, took a few minutes to really get where he was.
    * Speculation
    Desmond must have the disease Rousseau was talking about, but he could have found a way of counteracting it, hence the drug he injected just as the hatch exploded
    * Jacks flashbacks... always quite boring, and I don't think there was any of the usual "OH MY GOD" moments when he found out Sarah could move her legs... I knew they'd have to show how he met her and "fixed her" in the first place but I think that kind of thing could've waited until a less crucial episode
    * This leads us onto the introduction of Desmond. A tad obvious that he was going to show up and be the man in the hatch, "See you in another life brother"
    * Loved the set in the hatch, pure brilliance
    * Speculation
    Perhaps in his "race around the world" he encountered one of these "wormholes" or "portals" that everyone seems to believe is how they got to the island in the first place. Another alternative is that he was on the expedition with Danielle and got stranded with them. The technology in the hatch was very 70s so he's obviously been down there a while
    * Shannon seeing Walt in the jungle was a bit odd... I don't think Walt actually "said" anything, I think a lot of people are just speculating on what he said. I'd imagine what he said will be cleared up by the producers the same way the transmission to Boone was cleared up.
    * Michelle Rodriguez got a credit but I didn't see her anywhere in the show.

Overall I think this was a great season opener, obviousness and Jack aside, and it sets the scene for some more great storylines in the future.

he types in hurleys numbers at the start into the computer then presses execute, you can tell by his hand movements.....

also the numbers are on the bottles, with the meds he injects himself with
    'cr-4815162342'

did anyone get kristen's 3:7 clue ? you know the whole
    'the thing in the hatch can be known by 2 different names, one is 7 letters long and ends and begins with the same letter(DesmonD). the other is 3 letters long and ends and begins with letters that are right beside each other in the alphabet(MaN)'
    :D using those clues i guessed it a coupla days before the premiere in hawaii on the 14th

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭ikol

did anyone notice 108 painted on the inside wall of the hatch which = 4+ 8+15 16+23+42

or that the routherford guy(boone/shannon's father/stepfather) who was in the crash with jacks fiance died at 8:15

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Good
    Ok ok people I have just watched that episode was the best ever , but another not WTF!!!!. Ok Desmond dosent look like he recognises jack ok , but when Desmond meets him in the stadium he says lift her up right , I can only come to one conclusion that Desmond is god. I am in awe and feel like a junkie right now I so what another fix of this truly excellent show.

It gets 10/10 rating from me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Good
    Just made these, first one is a sound clip of Walt when he appears in the jungle and the second one is it reversed.

http://media.putfile.com/Walt16
    http://media.putfile.com/Walt2

What is he saying? :s

Good
    just watched it.. Excellent.. the start was great..took me a few seconds to get it..

*jack's flashbacks weren't great but weren't terrible either..
    * the desmond thing was a bit obvious
    * I had accidentally read the thing about Walt so I wasn't suprised.. I wish I hadn't read it though..
    * I'm wondering where the hell Kate is..

really looking forward to next week... :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement