Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

US: 2X01 - "Man Of Science, Man Of Faith" [**SPOILERS WITHIN**]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Good
    Did anyone noticed a sealed door when Jack was looking around the underground complex? Wonder where that leads to? Maybe thats how Desmond got in there, and he sealed himself in.... The hatch was probably sealed years (decades?) ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭netman

Average
    Well, you remember the mechanical menace that's going around the island and tearing down trees, that killed the pilot?

Danielle said it was a defense mechanism, and I just assumed that the Others were operating it, but now it makes more sense that it's run from the computer station in the hatch.

It was all retro-looking, which ties in with the look of the equipment in the hatch. Also, Desmond isn't getting out of the hatch, so the devices there must be his eyes and ears. I'm guessing that the execute button sends off the mechanical beast.

Also, the instructions/coordinates could be to hit the place where the survivors are hiding, which would be a good reason not to do it (Locke and Walt both saying don't do it).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Spider_Baby!

Good
    Or it could be something to do with kate...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭saintsaucey

Good
    I really don't think it's possible to hear what Walt is saying in the woods. So untill JJ comes out with an official statement I'm gonna ignore the many different things people say he is saying.

As for the quarenteen sign I'm agreeing with whoever said the the island is the place that is being quarenteened. The sign is on the inside warning Desmond or whoever else was in there before him not to go out into the island.

As for the Broken Ladder. How do we know that the Ladder wasn't broken in the blast. Three Bars of Nitro is a lot it could have easily broke part of the ladder off. Just a thought.

As for what happened to Kate. You can clearly hear her screaming for jack while the music is playing. If not her then it might have been locke but it sounded like a females voice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

Good
    the ladder wasnt broken at the top of the shaft, if it was the tnt then wouldnt it have broken that part of the ladder? + we didnt see any ladder debri at the bottom of the shaft

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Good
    As for the Broken Ladder. How do we know that the Ladder wasn't broken in the blast. Three Bars of Nitro is a lot it could have easily broke part of the ladder off. Just a thought.

In the final ep you see the broken ladder as Locke and Jack look down it.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Average
    Does anyone else have the Mamas and Papas stuck in their head all day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭doh.ie

2x01.

Really enjoyed this. Having avoided spoilers all summer long, was tricked into thinking the opening was a Sawyer, possibly much younger Locke flashback. Only when the explosion was head and soem dust came through the cracks did I should (very loud!), "Bloody hell, he's IN the hatch!". Genius piece of writing. Never saw it coming.

As for the rest of the episode, pacing was quick, exciting, downright freaky in places (Walt in the woods). Jack's story was so-so (much better than his last, but that's not saying much); really enjoyed the Rutherford connection, yet more significant connections between the survivors' lives.

Desmond - only downside to him was that it was very obvious from the meeting in the stadium that Desmond would turn out to be the guy in the hatch. (This is a pity, cos the Lost writers are normally much better than this. Maybe the 'See you in another life' line was too obvious. But even though I normally try not to guess ahead, I'm afraid this one was just too blatant.) I took his 'raise it up' line to be asking Jack to open himself to the possibility of a higher power, and to accept that we cannot control everything.

Desmond obviously goes on some kind of round-the-world expedition (as someone's pointed out, it can't be with Danielle's bunch cos he was in the real world more recently than Danielle's groups' becoming stranded.) It was certainly within the last ten years. (Do we have specific times for how long before their marriage Sarah was injured? Or do we know how long it has been since Shannon's father died?) Question is, how did Desmond end up in the hatch? Who's providing the drugs? (Agree, by the way - this is likely the 'cure' for the disease that befell Danielle's group - but which left Danielle herself - and the others - unaffected.) And if this is a government operation, why is the technology not more up to date?

I also think Lostzilla is controlled by that computer (may tie in with Walt's button warning, if that analysis of his speech is correct.)

I don't think Desmond is "god" or anything supernatural beyond possibly sharing the same kinds of abilities as Walt.

Think you guys are right - he's going to start cropping up, mysterious-man-style in most other characters flashbacks as the weeks go by. Spotted the 108s everywhere. He obviously has a connection to the numbers, but it isn't clear whether he's worshipping them/trying to figure them out or he actually fully understands them. (Remember, the numbers pre-date even him - they were transmitting before he even arrived. Unless, of course, he was on a 'break' from the island when he ran into Jack at the stadium...) If he has the ability telepathic/Walt powers to "cure", he may have healed Sarah, or maybe it was the opening of Jack's mind to faith/hope which caused this.

Like the numbers on the side of the medicine vial - didn't spot that on the first viewing (how did I miss it?!), but I did spot a clock in Sarah's hospital room later which read 2:30 (23) which was about as close to the numbers as I saw visually (beyond their 108 sum.)

Well, as usual, we need more answers, so roll on next week.

I was a little skeptical at the start of the summer as to how well the story could be stretched out without giving the viewer a LOT of information (risking too much) in the season premiere. I was surprised - not alone did we get to go INSIDE the hatch from the start of the teaser, but we got a lot of scope for new stories from the arrival of Desmond too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Good
    doh.ie wrote:
    Desmond - only downside to him was that it was very obvious from the meeting in the stadium that Desmond would turn out to be the guy in the hatch. (This is a pity, cos the Lost writers are normally much better than this. Maybe the 'See you in another life' line was too obvious. But even though I normally try not to guess ahead, I'm afraid this one was just too blatant.) I took his 'raise it up' line to be asking Jack to open himself to the possibility of a higher power, and to accept that we cannot control everything.

But to be honest I really don't think they were trying to hide it. It was just too blatently obvious that it would be Desmond in the hatch from that scene with Jack,espcially since that flashback occurred just after Jack lands in the hatch. Sometimes bad writing can make something predictable,but it was just way too obvious to be bad writing,it had to be on purpose,for what reason,I do not know. That combined with the rest of the episode being brilliantly written,me thinks it was too blatent for a reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭doh.ie

tvnutz wrote:
    But to be honest I really don't think they were trying to hide it. It was just too blatently obvious that it would be Desmond in the hatch from that scene with Jack,espcially since that flashback occurred just after Jack lands in the hatch. Sometimes bad writing can make something predictable,but it was just way too obvious to be bad writing,it had to be on purpose,for what reason,I do not know. That combined with the rest of the episode being brilliantly written,me thinks it was too blatent for a reason.

Yeah, maybe. But it was the only thing which seemed off about it otherwise. (I'd nearly go as far as to say having guessed that ruined the ending somewhat... We may not have been as quick to guess had the teaser not included the 80s morning routine, but then that was too priceless not to leave in.) The other issue I have with it is that Desmond (his face hidden to the left of Locke) was not immediately recognisable visually, but his ACCENT was a dead giveaway the minute he spoke. And he continued to speak for at least a minute before the "revelation". These things usually work better when they're not over-built up.

I agree, the majority is too good for it to have been poor writing, but we see this kind of "oh, the audience will never guess" obvious plotting thing happen a lot on other shows. Lost has always given the audience more credit. So maybe they did want us to see that coming, but it feels much less rewarding for it when so much of what the show does is always shrouded in secrecy and surprised.

As you say, maybe there was a reason for it.

Only thing I'd dock a mark for in the premiere*, so otherwise a very satisfying 9/10.

* Well, the wig was pretty bad as well...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

doh.ie wrote:
    Who's providing the drugs? (Agree, by the way - this is likely the 'cure' for the disease that befell Danielle's group - but which left Danielle herself - and the others - unaffected.)
    Initially, I didn't spot the numbers on the side of the vials and assumed with all the exercise and the protein shakes Desmond was taking that the drugs were actually steriods he was using for his muscles... Although he doesn't look particularly bulky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Average
    Sexiest opening scene ever, EVER!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭dr strangelove

Good
    Anyone else notice the 'I-Ching' logos in the underground compound? I noticed one on the fridge, one on the overalls Desmond put on, and a couple more round the compound.

Corporate logos of the sponsoring company? The Chinese (or even Korean) connection?

Also, the I-Ching as it appears on the fridge is inconsistant with the real I-Ching, which shows "the dynamic balance of opposites" where 'heaven' is opposite 'earth', 'mountain' is opposite to 'valley' and so on, but the I-Ching on the logo shows 'mountain' being opposite to 'wind' and 'heaven' being opposite to 'valley' etc.

What this all means, frankly, i haven't a clue, (and to be honest i'm a little embarassed that i've spent the last four hours of my life trying to figure this out).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭jonnybadd

Good
    Thought it was excellent, the whole 'answer one question with fifty more' idea is great way to open a season, can't wait for next weeks episode. Also agree with the theory that Desmond will somehow have interacted with the majority of the survivors in some way in the past.

Just watched the opening Desmond sequence again, did anyone notice that there were two bunks?

Who did he share the hatch with, Ethan?

Other clues that he wasn't alone:

A table tennis bat (2 players)
    Books on the shelf behind the bottom bunk (belonging to other person?)
    A board game on the table that looks like its for 2 players
    Loads of plates and dishes on the sink/counter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

Good
    viking wrote:
    Just watched the opening Desmond sequence again, did anyone notice that there were two bunks?

Good observation. Its hardly for Lostzilla

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭netman

Average
    Anyone else notice the 'I-Ching' logos in the underground compound? I noticed one on the fridge, one on the overalls Desmond put on, and a couple more round the compound.

Hmm, I missed those completely, I must watch it again.

You did however make me google for I-Ching, never heard of it before, and here's what the allmighty has to say about it:

The I Ching is the oldest of the Chinese classic texts. It describes an ancient system of cosmology and philosophy which is at the heart of Chinese cultural beliefs. The philosophy centers on the ideas of the dynamic balance of opposites, the evolution of events as a process, and acceptance of the inevitability of change (see Philosophy, below). In Western cultures, the I Ching is regarded by some as simply a system of divination; others believe it expresses the wisdom and philosophy of ancient China.

Also a link for those who want to know more.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Ching

This would fit really well into the Lost way of things :)

The outer mountain I-Ching combined with inner wind I-Ching means Corruption, or Working with the Decayed.

I couldn't find valley hexagram on that site, I'm sure they call it something else. So I googled for I-Ching valley and it turns out it's the wind hexagram on this site...

So guess what you get with heaven and valley (wind):
    Coupling, or Coming to Meet.

Hmm.. I could buy that :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Good
    Anyone happen to notice the famous numbers on the painting on the wall when Jack was walking down the hallway in the bunker....hmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Good
    The best shot of the I Ching logo, checked Sun and Jins eps thinking it may be in Paiks company somewhere but couldnt find it.

logo.jpg

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Good
    For anyone interested, the song used at the start and near the end is
    Cass Elliot - Make Your Own Kind of Music

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Good
    Cabaal wrote:
    For anyone interested, the song used at the start and near the end is
    Cass Elliot - Make Your Own Kind of Music

Yes I was! Fantastic epiosode imo. Great the way it started to pan out once you hear the explosion at the beginning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭herobear

i got the song off me cousins, other than the fact its silly and strange to feature in a lost episode, its not THAT particularly great

some Henry Ian Cusick(Desmond) casting
    he's only casted fror the first 3 eps :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Good
    herobear wrote:
    i got the song off me cousins, other than the fact its silly and strange to feature in a lost episode, its not THAT particularly great

some Henry Ian Cusick(Desmond) casting
    he's only casted fror the first 3 eps :(

Although I'm still trying to get over the initial shock of seeing a new episode of Lost, I can't really process that info yet. But it's fairly spoileriffic.

Give it time, and I'll be :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Delta_ie

Good
    Just thinking could the electromagnet tie in with the theory of the island has something to do with the Philadelphia Project or the Montauk Project, that were mentioned by people, where magnets were used to open portals and make things invisible.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Average
    Twas OK, wasnt exactly action packed :| Looking forward to Episode 2 :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭savemejebus

viking wrote:

I don't think he (or anyone) used the hatch at all recently, remember that the hatch was mostly buried when locke found it so I'm pretty sure it wasn't in regular use

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Chinese/Japanese symbols everywhere down in the hatch....

Jack has Japanese/Chinese writing on his arm....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Good
    well here's my theory/opinions:
    -Desmond is on the "safe" side of the quaratine.
    -he is inoculating himself from something
    -the technology is right for the early 80s and earlier - even the excercise bike
    -he does use a fairy liquid bottle though!!
    -i would have thought that he was observing the people above, but my guess from the fact there was no warning systems for them trying to break into the hatch, is that he knew as much about them as they did about him.
    -the painting at a glimpse reminded me of an apocolyptic view - and the word SICK is scrawled in the bottom right corner.
    -the magnet is probably a generator for the whole island.
    -why the mirrors if he wasnt expecting someone to get down there
    -where did the blinding light come from
    -i dont believe the who angel/god thing

probably think of more when i see it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

Good
    Wasn't the blinding light just a big powerful torch?
    Anyhow, I really enjoyed this episode! The Jack flashbacks were a bit meh, especially the one when he was pointing the gun at Locke!
    One thing I found strange was that there were, what seemed like, windows in the living area where Desmond was. I guessed that these could've just been large wall lights or something but after the hatch blew in and he turned off the lights via the control panel the 'windows' were still bright. Hmmmm.

I don't think he (or anyone) used the hatch at all recently, remember that the hatch was mostly buried when locke found it so I'm pretty sure it wasn't in regular use
    So perhaps there's another entrance/exit? Where would Desmond get his washing-up liquid etc, fresh fruit for his milkshake, supplies etc.

• Advertisement

viking wrote:
    So perhaps there's another entrance/exit? Where would Desmond get his washing-up liquid etc, fresh fruit for his milkshake, supplies etc.

There must be (was just pointing out that the hatch hadn't been in use)

on a different matter anyone got any theories on why there is an observation bubble 40/50 feet below the surface of the island?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,986 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Call_me_al wrote:
    -the painting at a glimpse reminded me of an apocolyptic view - and the word SICK is scrawled in the bottom right corner.
    It has a picture of an eye, then an M, then "Sick"

I m sick... I AM SICK!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Good
    L5,out of curiousity,after having voted nearly every single episode of Lost Season 1 as either poor or terrible,it seems clear you do not like the show. Why on earth would you take all that time to get this episode from your "cousins" if this is the case? Usually when someone doesn't like a show,they stop watching. Seems rather stupid to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Average
    Jaggy Snake voted before the show even aired...

He must have been at the premiere in Hawaii.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Average
    Jaggy Snake voted before the show even aired...

He must have been at the premiere in Hawaii.
    He must have had someone tall sitting infront of him blocking his line of sight too, in order to give the "Terrible!" rating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

Call_me_al wrote:
    -where did the blinding light come from

There was a big spot light at the bottom of the hatch pointing upwards.

I can't wait until next week to find out what happened to the boat crew.

Good
    The last two numbers he uses for the pad lock are 23 and 42. I slowed my tape down and you can see him pause a few dashes after 20 and a few dashes after 40. I couldn't see what he was typing though. But i did spot the numbers on his serum bottle. and captions say the other car crash victom's name was adam ruthaford. The thing that bothered me was they said he was driving an suv. How long ago did that term come in to popular use. We do know that shannon's dad married boones mom and then died and shannon was screwed out of the family fortune. what's her reaction gonna be if she finds out that Jack let her Dad and step brother die. Not good I'll assume.

The Mamma Cass song was great I loved it. And how could you not know he was down in the hatch. It was just so blatently obvious or maybe It was becauseI knew thats how it was gonna begin.

On thing I found odd. When Walt appeared to shannon. He was soaking wet. Walt never went into the water. One of the others jumped from the boat to the raft, grabbed walt and then jumped back. So why was the projection of walt soaking wet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

its been stated in this thread before, it is the numbers he types into the computer. you can tell by where he types on the keyboard if you slow it down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭thewools

Good
    *jumps up and down* :eek:

bring on next week!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Narcissus

Good
    One thing I found odd. When Walt appeared to shannon. He was soaking wet. Walt never went into the water. One of the others jumped from the boat to the raft, grabbed walt and then jumped back. So why was the projection of walt soaking wet.

Do you not think it's possible that he could of tried to escape by jumping in the water between when he get's captured and when shannon see's him? or when getting off the boat he could of fallen in the water?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Average
    Yeah, not sure if Walt was there, or Shannon was seeing things, but the fact he was wet probably means he didnt get the train back to the island,
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Narcissus

Good
    Yeah, not sure if Walt was there, or Shannon was seeing things, but the fact he was wet probably means he didnt get the train back to the island,
    :rolleyes:

I'd say it definitely was Walt, but more importantly what do the others want with him.

I'm not sure if this is a spoiler or not but i'll spoilerify it just in case. On the abc lost website,
    the group photo has Ana Lucia in it but it doesn't have Walt!, maybe he won't appear too much in this season

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Apapaia wrote:
    I'd say it definitely was Walt, but more importantly what do the others want with him.

I'm not sure if this is a spoiler or not but i'll spoilerify it just in case. On the abc lost website,
    the group photo has Ana Lucia in it but it doesn't have Walt!, maybe he won't appear too much in this season

I expect he probably has to catch up on his school work as he wont have been learning much from just having a spanish comic book to read. ;)

Good
    He's typing all over the key board not just at the top where the numbers are located. So unless I see his fingers on the keys or JJ comes out with a statement that says "Desmond was typeing the numbers to activate the (Insert Best Doc Evil Impersonation) 'Death Star Lazer' I'm not gonna know what he was typing kay."

See I can sound pissy when I'm typing too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,063 ✭✭✭BKtje

Good
    numbers can also be found on he right hand side ya know :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

Good
    OMG They can! This is news to me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭hacktavist

Uh not on the keyboard on the old computer thats in lost.

EDIT: But I know that its only numbers and the spacebar and the execute button that are pressed.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Few things about the bunker.
    It all seems to be very defensive, the ladder looks destroyed from the bottom. If you were doing it from the top, then the bottom would be intact.
    The word quarintine is on the inside.
    The door by the magnetic field seemed to be barricaded from the inside, and those metal canisters seemed to be corroded with battery acid?
    The powerful light and the mirrors could be just to see what might be sneaking up on him, a system of defence (blinding light - powerful music to disorient), or a method of signalling the outside? When the hatch was first found, was it metal or the glass window that was found first?
    The mural is a bit mad all right. Does say I am sick, you can see symbols like days being marked off, a couple of fish, a tower or arrow, the sun with 108 in it, a child like drawing of a house, and a weird white faced woman, waves. All looks a bit mad. Like one of those programmes where someones lobbed into a bunker and told he's the last man alive after a nuke.

Desmond was a bi obvious all right, but i'm sure it'll get more complex later. All those windows etc, could be simulated UV ones to keep people suffering from depression, but that globe one looked like it might be visisble from outside, maybe underwater or under heavy foilage...

Oh, and did think the start was a flashback at first. Thought it might be sawyer or jack beefing up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Good
    WDK wrote:
    Has anyone noticed the fact that desmond sleeps on a bunk so there must be someone else working with him.
    I just rewatched the intro and came on here to say that exact thing...

• Advertisement

i know this will sound stupid but when I saw the intro my first thought was that it was either Jack or Sawyer after a few months living underground after opening the hatch and that we had skipped forward a few months.

Glad i was wrong though :)

Advertisement