Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you could have one childhood sweet...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Hi

I used to LOVE a bar of chocolate in the late 80's early 90's. It had choclate mousse type in the middle and strings of milk chocolate coating the outside. It came in a slim, long cardboard holder and goldy coloured wrapper. I vaguely remember it being a 'swirl something' or probably not! It was expensive at the time about 85p but by god did it tastes good!

I've been wrecking my head and canot remember the proper name, so please help if you can before I go insane!

oops, too late!

i know exactly what you're talking about... but the name...arrrggghhh... hold on.. I'll get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Where they called Secrets?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Japonica

memphis wrote:
    mmmmmmm...... Good Lord, Apple drops, how easily we forget!!

Yeah, they were ace!!

How could we ever forget the apple drops, especially after eating about a 1/4 lb and your tongue would be destroyed.....

Yum....

Probably all the additives in them are now taken off the market....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭ozmo

Japonica wrote:
    How could we ever forget the apple drops, especially after eating about a 1/4 lb and your tongue would be destroyed.....

Yum....

Probably all the additives in them are now taken off the market....

Apple Drops - Refresher bars - Fizzy Strawberrys - bonbon's - all kinds of old school stuff for sale at Fairy House Market(off N3). 3 medium (1/4 lb) bags of the stuff for 1euro. Inside - near where the restrauant is. each sunday til about 5pm.

oz.

“Roll it back”

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

lafortezza wrote:
    There was a shop on Camden street/Kevin Street that used to sell all these old skool sweets, it was about 2 years ago that I was in and they had everything you remember from being young.
    I bought about a kilo of apple drops.
    WOW that place is still there. The one beside the hat shop?
    He had all those tall glass sweet jars, with whachamacallthems inside.

BTW Nobody mentioned cough mixtures. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭MrJetlag

TEXAN BARS. - THE MIGHTY CHEW

And I have them now. Bought them in from an online sweetshop in the UK .

They came out in August for a limited period - till december

Kinda hoping there is enough demand to make them keep making them

Haven't seen them in Dublin yet.

I phoned Nestle Ireland to findout if they are available in Ireland and if now why not.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I saw those flying disc things in the shop i live next door to,i'm sooo buying some this evening...chocolate too,ythat oughta cheer me up ...mm!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

eyepoppers,
    LLC Gums

can be bought in deveney's in bray. they are so nice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Siogfinsceal

you can still get wham i got one other day but they dont taste as nice. you can buy a box of mixed old sweets @ www.firebox.com and it has prawns and white mice!! ;-) you can get flying saucers in a few places too.

what i really want is postman pats!! and a mint woppa bar!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I saw those flying disc things in the shop i live next door to
    They are not as cheap as they used to be but are high in memory value, bought them several times now and must say, they are as good as I remember.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

bit of a cheat, but i have recently re-descovered pez after seeing them in a shop beside my work. Had'nt seen them for years till about 2 weeks ago.
    candyusa.jpg

Brilliant flavour packed sweets, very easy to go through a pack of ten and tear your tongue to shreads and dye it a horrible colour. Fantastic sweets, and a blast from the past now to only find a despencer...

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Bettyboop

lucky charms,spangles.and two and two bars.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Apple drops!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

toxi0001.jpg
    that stuff made me sick as a dog i think it was a sugar overdose!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

weemcd wrote:
    bit of a cheat, but i have recently re-descovered pez after seeing them in a shop beside my work. Had'nt seen them for years till about 2 weeks ago.
    candyusa.jpg

Brilliant flavour packed sweets, very easy to go through a pack of ten and tear your tongue to shreads and dye it a horrible colour. Fantastic sweets, and a blast from the past now to only find a despencer...

the ultimate dispenser!!!!

http://www.pez.at/pezat/prodon.asp?Seite=223&Lg=2&Cy=&UID=

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭pingu_girl

apple jacks,rubble gum and rainbow drops yum yum but most of all postman pats god why did they ever take them off the market

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Pink Panther Bars... Mmmm, pinkalicious

• Registered Users Posts: 12 LPI

Dinner wrote: »
    Postman Pat sweets. Havent seem them around in years. Love them though.
    Absolutely loved the Postman Pat Penny sweets as well. Used go to shop every day in the summer or every second day with £2 (don't ask me where I got the money, think my uncle used give me £20 and that'd last me ages, plus other relations would give me money as well) and buy 2 KitKats, a crazy amount of crisps (back when they were 10p a bag) and the rest on the Postman Pat sweets. Good times :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

LPI wrote: »
    Absolutely loved the Postman Pat Penny sweets as well.

+1 for postman pat strawberry chews, I'd sell my postman for one!
    Also, Terry's Pyramids, think of a giant mint munchie (formerly mintolas) in a pyramid form, circa 1989. Mnyom.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

White chocolate fish and chips

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

afaik you can still get those white choc fish n chips in a few places (I'll try and think) but I think it's pick n mix somewhere...

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Bodan

caramel-cups.jpg

I dont think i have last eaten these since the 90's, but they are gorgeous.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

They're still around! I often see them in petrol stations.

I'd have Postman Pat sweets, or vice versas.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

A Marathon bar :o Snickers just doesn't do it for me the way Marathon did..

*2 fingers up to Snickers*

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Bodan

Faith wrote: »
    They're still around! I often see them in petrol stations.

I'd have Postman Pat sweets, or vice versas.

sorry, i just read your post now. :o

Thanks for the tip. I cant remember the last time i saw them in the shop's.

I stumbled upon this the other day. Tempting, very Tempting. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭bp1989

weemcd wrote: »
    candyusa.jpg

They taste like chalk to me :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

ozmo wrote: »
    Time bars - not the toffee variety - but the mint one.

Ozmo, you're the only person I've met that remembers these! They were lovely. Am I right in remembering the minty stuff in the middle being sort of stiff, that when you'd bite it your teeth would leave a print...know what I mean?
    What I'd also love to be able to have is a Cleeves Two and two bar...they where the bees knees of chocolate bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 mrtoast

i couldnt agree more about the 2 and 2- the height of sophistication. closest we are likely to get is here:

http://www.chocolatewrappers.info/Sevropa/Irsko/irsko2.htm

On the ice cream front whatever happened to toffee tuffees not to forget the dracula bars with the blood red jelly inside the black ice cream (i know that sounds unlikely...) Pure class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

mrtoast wrote: »

On the ice cream front whatever happened to toffee tuffees not to forget the dracula bars with the blood red jelly inside the black ice cream (i know that sounds unlikely...) Pure class.

I remember Dracula ice pops if that's what you're on about...black water ice with vanilla ice cream filling and a blood red possibly strawberry flavour centre mmmmm!

Advertisement