Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you could have one childhood sweet...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭dubh101

Ann22 wrote: »
    Ozmo, you're the only person I've met that remembers these! They were lovely. Am I right in remembering the minty stuff in the middle being sort of stiff, that when you'd bite it your teeth would leave a print...know what I mean?
    What I'd also love to be able to have is a Cleeves Two and two bar...they where the bees knees of chocolate bars.
    Oh I used too love the two and two bars,so it was cleeves who made them,was wondering about that.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭s-cogan

Bodan wrote: »
    caramel-cups.jpg

I dont think i have last eaten these since the 90's, but they are gorgeous.

keefes newsagents in mallow.

old fashioned sweets in jars and stuff.
    apple drops, bonbons, wham bars, all the old stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

dubh101 wrote: »
    Oh I used too love the two and two bars,so it was cleeves who made them,was wondering about that.:D

Ray D'Arcy was talking about them one day on his radio show, he mentioned Urney's chocolate factory, they're connected in some way to Cleeves. I do remember Cleeves name being on the wrapper tho'.Do you remember they brought out mint, strawberry and orange bars in the same shape and design as the original? Not sure what they were called, think they may've been just Cleeves 'peppermint' etc.

I've just spotted an old thread here where other's have said Urneys produced them. They were out quite a long time ago, I'm not sure when but they were brought back in the early 80s. I remember the ad 'your old friend is back ****** Two&Two' (I'm still convinced it said Cleeves on the wrapper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Jessibelle

Caffrey's Time Bars, I've had better toffees since but just for the way they would literally glue yer gob shut for about 5 minutes :D

Ray D'Arcy was talking about them one day on his radio show, he mentioned Urney's chocolate factory, they're connected in some way to Cleeves. I do remember Cleeves name being on the wrapper tho'.Do you remember they brought out mint, strawberry and orange bars in the same shape and design as the original? Not sure what they were called, think they may've been just Cleeves 'peppermint' etc.

I've just spotted an old thread here where other's have said Urneys produced them. They were out quite a long time ago, I'm not sure when but they were brought back in the early 80s. I remember the ad 'your old friend is back ****** Two&Two' (I'm still convinced it said Cleeves on the wrapper.
    I researched this subject and Urney's who had a large factory in Tallagh did origionaly make the Two and Two bar,they sold out in the 60's too the multi national,Unileaver,who continued too produce it in the 70's under the brand HB chocolates,which is the guise I remember it under,Cleavers brand briefly re introduced it in the early 80,s.I am told it will soon be re launched soon by I think L C confections.mmmmmm be njce too have it back.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,730 ✭✭✭sudzs

Fizzle sticks

Oh god yes! I loved them! :D

Would do anything for a few now - ANYTHING!!! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 cavinio

anybody rememeber iced shortie biscuits!?? Where in the shape of a flower, coloured pink,white,brown! nicest biscuts ever, haven seen any in years..stil every time im in a supermarket I have nosy try and find them..

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭face2face

Was in Omni park in Santry on Saturday and they have a new sweet shop, with all the big jars, available by the quarter, definitely saw apple drops and lemon drops, there was a massive queue, so I didn't stop, so if anyone is hankering after a shredded tongue, off you go.....

cavinio wrote: »
    anybody rememeber iced shortie biscuits!?? Where in the shape of a flower, coloured pink,white,brown! nicest biscuts ever, haven seen any in years..stil every time im in a supermarket I have nosy try and find them..

Think Party Rings are very similar. I know Dunnes have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Jessibelle

There's a stand after opening in Santry, Sweet Memories (or something similar I think) and it's selling all retro sweets. Big Time Bars too :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭dermothickey

Was in a shop in Limerick recently and bought 5 macaroon bars 20c each....dayyyycent They also had the mint crisps as well.

I'd have to give the ould cola frosties a blast again and wham bars, stingers, and the a-team 5p bags of tayta's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭ratmouse

Loved Dan bars! Anyone remember Alien Spacer Crisps? the msot fantastic piclked onion flavoured crisps ever!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭dermothickey

Aaah yeah Dan bars and alien spacers, Meanies kind of knocked them out for some reason.

cavinio wrote: »
    Werent they called iced gems?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,730 ✭✭✭sudzs

I remember Dracula ice pops if that's what you're on about...black water ice with vanilla ice cream filling and a blood red possibly strawberry flavour centre mmmmm!

I remember those! Mmmmm!

and Patsy Pops were around then too. Very orangy bright orange icepops. Ate far too many of both one day with the awful result of psychadelic vomit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭shivs

OOOHHH YUM! Dracula icepops!

Do you remember Kilimanjaro icepops......red (like a Solero) on the outside and the middle was a mixture of orange and vanilla.........ah brings back those long hot summers.

Also, Texan Bars......they were devine!:D

6a00e398ae981e00010109d1001407000f-500pi
    These are Iced Gems....

PartyRingsBig.jpg
    Cavinio, these are Party Rings, think Iced Shorties were more like these minus the hole weren't they?

there were the little devils and little angels as well,and some red one in the shape off a hand with a pointing finger,cant remember the name off that one.I remember the kilaminjaro and the dracula pops too.:D

hmmmmm dont remember the party rings lol.

shivs wrote: »
    OOOHHH YUM! Dracula icepops!

Do you remember Kilimanjaro icepops......red (like a Solero) on the outside and the middle was a mixture of orange and vanilla.........ah brings back those long hot summers.
    I remember Kilimanjaro icepops well! Around 1984 ish weren't they? Way back further to the late 70s, anyone remember Little Angel ice pops? White pear flavoured cylindrical shapes ...and Little Devils..similar but red and strawberry flavoured. Was it just the Little Angels that had the choc coating on the end or was it the Little Devils? Or was it both?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭drakshug

caramac

788px-Caramac.jpg

there were the little devils and little angels as well,and some red one in the shape off a hand with a pointing finger,cant remember the name off that one.I remember the kilaminjaro and the dracula pops too.:D

I didn't see your post Dubh101:)..I do remember the pointy finger ones too...they were 'Thataway's...I used to love them.:)

lol beat you too it anne 22 about the devils and angels,great minds think alike,dont remember the chocolate though?
    :D
    think ypur right about the name thataway, always ate the finger first,lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭shivs

I didn't see your post Dubh101:)..I do remember the pointy finger ones too...they were 'Thataway's...I used to love them.:)

YOU CAN BUY THATAWAYS AGAIN! :D

Bought one today.....even though it's freezing! Heck.....it's May!

lol beat you too it anne 22 about the devils and angels,great minds think alike,dont remember the chocolate though?
    :D

:D...I could be imagining the chocolate bit on the end.
    Remember for a while there used to be jokes on ice pop sticks:)?
    Oldest ice pops I remember are Ricki Raspers...raspberry water ice pops(ones that you suck the colour and flavour out of, leaving plain ice) cheap...I remember them being 3p. Captain Quenchers - plain orange...and those milky type ones with the snowman on the front. There were other ones I don't know the name of that had a gold wrapper..strawberry coating over vanilla (maybe ripple) ice cream. They were lovely.

oh not seen them yet here in wexford,even though I bought a cornetto today must look out for them,hope they are as nice as they used too be.:D
    ya I can remember back too the early 70s maybe even 2p pops,can remember animal pops which did have chocolate tops.
    lol ya also remember the jokes.

Ah no way! I'd love one! I must tell my friend. We used to buy one every Saturday with our 50p spending money for a while.:)Ah memories...

Oh I see there is a new thread soley for old HB ice creams now,lol.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 cavinio

6a00e398ae981e00010109d1001407000f-500pi
    These are Iced Gems....

PartyRingsBig.jpg
    hey yes they were quite simmilar to the rings but yes had no holes!..kinda obessed with them now lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭LadyW

For a great trip down memory lane, check out the yummy sweets on this website www.aquarterof.co.uk

Advertisement