Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB Atm no balance receipt

Options
  • 21-09-2005 4:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭

Why don't the AIB atm's tell you they can't give a receipt BEFORE they carry out the trans?

BOI and Ulster ask - 'Would you like to continue?'

It freaks me ou

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭SirIrish

probably for the same reason the atm's in shops won't tell you it has to be in multiples of 20 or 50 in the begining to save you swiping your card and entering your pin a second time

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Why don't the AIB atm's tell you they can't give a receipt BEFORE they carry out the trans?

BOI and Ulster ask - 'Would you like to continue?'

It freaks me ou
    Was Mmmm_Lemony abducted by the pinstripers before even being able to finish the post I wond

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭SirIrish

Ve

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I think you should be told on the screen how much the transaction will cost,its my understanding that its cheaper to use your own banks ATM's.If the pubs and petrol stations have to display a price why not ATM's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

What a waste of paper to start with. I don't think any of them should give out paper you can look on the screen if need be. I think it makes more sense that it show the balance when doing the transaction.
    For a little bit of common sense we could save all the paper. I can't get the bank to stop sending out statements that I don't need. I get not everybody is electronic but for those of us who choose to there should be an option and maybe an incentive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

What a waste of paper to start with. I don't think any of them should give out paper you can look on the screen if need be. I think it makes more sense that it show the balance when doing the transaction.
    For a little bit of common sense we could save all the paper. I can't get the bank to stop sending out statements that I don't need. I get not everybody is electronic but for those of us who choose to there should be an option and maybe an incentive.

Yeah, I came across an option on the Vodafone site to stop recieving paper bills. Its grand cos I never used to look at them anyway, if I need to check something, I look online.It can be turned back on at any stage if I need it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I still like to get my credit card bill in the post, just for historical records, but i always pay my bill on-line, therefore there is no need to get a payment envelope every month as well. Haven't used it once.

delly wrote:
    I still like to get my credit card bill in the post, just for historical records, but i always pay my bill on-line, therefore there is no need to get a payment envelope every month as well. Haven't used it once.

I get liking the bill but you can save the bills from the website onto your PC and they stay on-line too. People liked getting a bag but they didn't need them. Sometimes habit needs to be changed for the benifit of all.

What a waste of paper to start with.
    I always get receipts from ATMs because I don't trust banks to keep accurate records, and I don't have time to record each and every ATM transaction. I'm particularly unlikely to do so when I'm drunk, which happens to be the most likely time I'm going to use an ATM. I do my bit for the environment, so I'm not going to lose any sleep over one piece of paper a week. You don't get a receipt unless you ask for it, so... don't ask for it. Then you won't have to bitch about it online.

Ken Shabby wrote:
    I always get receipts from ATMs because I don't trust banks to keep accurate records,

If you want to be paranoid I guess nobody can stop you :D

Have you ever caught them out? I have never ever heard of it happening has anybody else?

I think people should have to pay for them if they want them, waste shouldn't be free for anybody just because they want it to be. It will eventually be stopped and you know it so soon it will be you bitching about it ;)

• Advertisement

If you want to be paranoid I guess nobody can stop you
    Paranoia, intelligence; potayto, potahto.
    I have never ever heard of it happening
    Have you been living under a rock?
    I think people should have to pay for them if they want them, waste shouldn't be free for anybody just because they want it to be. It will eventually be stopped and you know it so soon it will be you bitching about it
    Nope, not me. Like I said, I do my bit for the environment so I don't feel the slightest bit of shame about getting ATM receipts; neither do I have an objection to paying a surcharge for ATM receipts, as long as it's cost-based wrt to the environmental destruction it would cause.

Let me know if you need a hand down off that horse.

Ken Shabby wrote:
    Have you been living under a rock?
    No I also work with electronic payment systems and have never heard of any problem being solved by paper reciepts like ATM ones. You hold onto your magic paper reciepts that keep the evil money stealers away. :D
    Post a link with any news report that has verified bank faults losing money via an ATM. I am sure you heard a friend of a friend story. I would be really curious about this if it can be proved.
    Ken Shabby wrote:
    Let me know if you need a hand down off that horse.
    Maybe you should not accuse somebody of bitching and lighten up. :rolleyes:

Post a link with any news report that has verified bank faults losing money via an ATM.
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2001/10/09/natwest_glitch_sees_thousands_overcharged/

There have been plenty of cases of banks overcharging in last year or two in Ireland alone, which would imho have been more difficult to prove without paper records. In the case of statements retrieved online, what's to stop banks updating statements retroactively to cover up unless depositors keep a paper copy? And if they do that, where's the saving for the environment?

In all seriousness, electronic records as a replacement for paper are great and I use them all the time, but becoming too dependant on them, with our current computing systems, is incredibly dangerous. If you want to rely on them 100% that's your lookout, but I won't, and I won't feel an ounce of guilt about it. I'll be the one with a paper record if, god forbid, something does actually go wrong.

Ken Shabby wrote:
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2001/10/09/natwest_glitch_sees_thousands_overcharged/

There have been plenty of cases of banks overcharging in last year or two in Ireland alone etc..
    Sorry I should have been really clear. Post up a case where somebody proved their case via a paper reciept. Sure they make mistakes but they rectify them and your piece of paper means nothing. The overcharging was shown here, it wasn't like it said 3% and they charged 30% it was the fact they charged 5% when it should have been 3.
    Ken Shabby wrote:
    In all seriousness, electronic records as a replacement for paper are great and I use them all the time, but becoming too dependant on them, with our current computing systems, is incredibly dangerous.
    You have yet to state why. You are paranoid like all the people who freaked out about the millenium bug. Do you keep them all filed by date? I said you can save your files to PC and back them up.
    The paper is habit and wasteful you want to claim it is some form of protection you are kidding yourself. Do you sit down and read through them once a month?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

If you want to be paranoid I guess nobody can stop you :D

Have you ever caught them out? I have never ever heard of it happening has anybody else?

I think people should have to pay for them if they want them, waste shouldn't be free for anybody just because they want it to be. It will eventually be stopped and you know it so soon it will be you bitching about it ;)

There is already a tax propsed on the ATM receipt.

As for catching them out....well a year or two back a mate and myself were out for a few....it was thursday night and he was after getting paid so he went to the Pass machine to withdraw hat he needed. He punches in 200 and the machine stalls then spits out a receipt....and no cash OR card.
    He thinks it's gotten stuck and asks me to try withdrawing money to see if it works....I push the 20 button and no joy; 50's only....so I push the 50 option....and get a receipt but no cash. I do get my card though.
    My mate at this stage is livid...he has a full shift to do next day and by the time he's finsihed work the bank is closed, so he ends up having to take a half day and go into the branch (since he needs the cash for rent and sh*t)...without having the receipt it would have taken a lot more persuasion to get cash there and then.

Since that incident I ALWAYS ask for a receipt, especially when it's from a 3rd party cash point....screw the little piece of paper....if you want to get all environmentalist then point the finger at the sunday broadsheets with their 12 supplements that no one f*cking reads.
    I check my receipt and put it in the little bin provided. No Tidy Towns judges need ever know :D

I am in full agreement with what you have to say on the online billing thing though...cept my card issuer seems to not have that option available...so I have to use paper bills. The provision of an envelope and payment counterfoil is stupid though, when I've never once paid the bill any other way than electronically...

Wertz wrote:
    There is already a tax propsed on the ATM receipt.

My mate at this stage is livid...he has a full shift to do next day and by the time he's finsihed work the bank is closed, so he ends up having to take a half day and go into the branch (since he needs the cash for rent and sh*t)...without having the receipt it would have taken a lot more persuasion to get cash there and then.

There was a proposed tax! It was turned down along with the chewing gum one. It will eventually come in but it is no longer proposed

I still don't get it. What differnce did the recipt make? At best the receipt would have said he go cash? I work in this area to an extent and if somebody queries an issue the paper reciept isn't what you look at. You look at the balances and various checks and balances within the system. The fact his card was swallowed would be an indicator on it's own. The same checks and balances that protect tha bank from giving out too much cash (very important to them) make sure they don't steal money.
    An ATM is alot safer than a cashier in a shop who claims you gave them a 20 when you gave them a 50. I don't thnik you will ever find a proved case where the piece of paper proved the ATM made a mistake or even help in the investigation other than the time stamp. The trans ID doesn't really help that much either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭newgrange

Eirscum once claimed I had not paid my bill, and threatened to cut me off.

Thankfully, I had kept all my ATM bits of paper and could prove I had, but even then they tried to argue the toss.

What a happy day when I escaped their clutches.

newgrange wrote:
    Eirscum once claimed I had not paid my bill, and threatened to cut me off.

Thankfully, I had kept all my ATM bits of paper and could prove I had, but even then they tried to argue the toss.

What a happy day when I escaped their clutches.

Was that the only way you could have done that? Could you have just contacted the the bank or shown a statement?
    As they didn't trust the ATM slip anyway what use did it really make? My point is the ATM slip doesn't really prove anything. They are not what will change their mind and if you think it will or does you are kidding yourself. If all you had was an ATM slip they won't believe you it's that simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭newgrange

In the end they had a dispute with the bank, not me. I had paid the bill - whatever happened within the bank that resulted in the money not transferring was nothing to do with me.

My ATM receipt ended up my only actual proof. My statement did not show a payment to Eircom, just a payment going out of my account. This was where whatever the problem was had happened. They rectified it eventually, but it was by no means painless. This happened in the early days of ATM bill paying.

newgrange wrote:
    In the end they had a dispute with the bank, not me. I had paid the bill - whatever happened within the bank that resulted in the money not transferring was nothing to do with me.

My ATM receipt ended up my only actual proof. My statement did not show a payment to Eircom, just a payment going out of my account. This was where whatever the problem was had happened. They rectified it eventually, but it was by no means painless. This happened in the early days of ATM bill paying.

Sorry that still doesn't show that the ATM reciept was you only proof. Your bank statement showed it. I doubt they looked at the ATM reciept and based their actions on that but your claim on it's own. Somebody complains about a missing transaction or money it gets investigated the ATM paper would not be used. Very easy to forge and proof of nothing. If you want it for your own records fine but don't kid yourself it will prove anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

My roommate while living in the States used his ATM receipt when his bank's records indicated he had withdrawn more than he requested and received (the correct amount was shown on his paper receipt). Don't know how the problem occured but he certainly argued his case and got the money back. Might have helped that he worked as an investment banker for this bank at the time and it certainly would have been in their interests to acknowledge their mistake!

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

I get liking the bill but you can save the bills from the website onto your PC and they stay on-line too. People liked getting a bag but they didn't need them. Sometimes habit needs to be changed for the benifit of all.

It's usually handier having original bank statemements for presentation to financial companies who don't like the idea of "print yer own" (even though they might encourage people to use them in other situations). Credit/loan applications need original documentation.

But you're right about the ATM slip we don't need them and they shouldn't be free. For the life of me I can't figure out why starbursts have wrappers either - surely we can get used to not having them.

Advertisement