Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Puncture question

Options
  • 21-09-2005 9:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭

Got a puncture the other day so I left in into a place to be fixed.The fella in garage plugged it,he didnt take wheel off to patch it from inside.Am I right in saying that this is not the right way to do it?

I didnt realise he was plugging it as I went for a walk while he did it.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

No he did it the right way.Theres a kit you can buy which btw Id recommend everyone to carry in their tool kit that repairs punctures without the need to take the tyre off.
    It consists of a huge "needle" for want of a better word which you use to thread a string of rubber into the hole.Basically it goes inside the tyre,you twist it a few times then pull the string back out and cut off the excess.Seals punctures in seconds.It is only illegal to use this method of puncture repair on the sidewall of a tyre but for the threaded part its fine.
    Richie

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭mad m

@Hellrazer

Thanks for that,the only reason I was asking was,someone said to me that when the tyre pressure sometimes drops the plug falls out.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

it isnt the correct way to do it for two reasons
    1. water could theoretically get in from the plug because the string could/will get wet and it will get in via capillary action
    2. fitter cant check how much damage there is to the carcass without taking it off the rim

in reality i use that system and i find it to be excellent, kits are available from east coast car parts, in tallaght for maybe 12 euro for the needle thingie, and mayb 40 or 50 cents for each rubber strip, i think u have to buy 20 or 30 euro of it though. pays for itself pretty quickly as well especailly if u have a few cars in the family.

having said that u will never see professional operations like advance or kwik fit doing it...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

TAB (Tyres and batteries) use 'tar rope' fixing some types of punctures.
    I have watched them remove the tyre and check it, then replace and repair using the tar rope.
    This,
    This, I presume, eliminates the possibility of it 'falling out' when the pressure is low, and also seals it in the wet.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Using these is only legal (AFAIK) on the tread portion of the tyre. If it is on the sidewall then it is both dangerous and (AFAIK) illegal.
    I had to get a slow puncture fixed recently and insisted that the tyre was removed and a patch was used. Same price but I feel it is a safer and better job!

• Advertisement
Advertisement