Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stocking Irish Loughs with Carp

Options
  • 21-09-2005 10:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭

Anyone see the article on the front of last weeks Angling Times about the stocking of Loughs with Carp ?

Apparently the CFB think it will rejuvenate the sport over here....I'd have thought they'd have done better spending their money sorting out the problem with the Zebra Mussels, the weed & the discharges into our rivers to bring the Bream back !

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭adonis

i would agree.. although i was fishing in clare and i caught some great bream, 7lb!
    anyway, id say they are gonna try to make it so that you have to pay into lakes...which i hope never happens.
    plus the carp will eat out every other fish in the lake, they are agressive breeders and eaters.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

That's my fear....

I'd say the CFB see it as a way of making money into the bargain, but the thought of syndicate lakes appearing over here for the Coarse fishing industry is pretty scary

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

Firstly, carp are agressive breeders in certain conditions, which don't exist in Ireland, there are only 4 (or so) lakes in Ireland that Carp have spawned in. Even then the weather is rarely warm enough for them to spawn every year.

Onto the Fisheries Boards, its not going to happen, they may stock a few lakes, but creating lots of carp lakes here .... why, Anglers have that in their own countries. Its not what anglers want, but then when did a bunch of civil servants care what the majority of people want? The boards have their ar$es firmly placed where the sun don't shine. The new bye laws that are being proposed maybe coming into law soon, and these show that they're clueless, bag limits on coarse fish from lakes that the fish stocks are naturally occurring from fish spawning .... completely stupid, there will eventually be no fish in the lakes ffs!

As for them opening day ticket waters, yeah they might open a few, but at the moment they are in limbo as the current underway Fishery review is probably going to disband the boards and setup one organisation to look after the entire country. At the moment the boards don't have the staff to day ticket waters anyways.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 64 ✭✭2Poc

Firstly, carp are agressive breeders in certain conditions, which don't exist in Ireland, there are only 4 (or so) lakes in Ireland that Carp have spawned in. Even then the weather is rarely warm enough for them to spawn every year.

The Carp in Maynooth fisheries spawned this year.
    Seems to be more of a weather thing than an environment thing.

As Summers get hotter due to global warming it wouldn't be unfeasible for the environment to be well suited to Carp spawning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Onto the Fisheries Boards, its not going to happen, they may stock a few lakes, but creating lots of carp lakes here .... why, Anglers have that in their own countries. Its not what anglers want, but then when did a bunch of civil servants care what the majority of people want? The boards have their ar$es firmly placed where the sun don't shine. The new bye laws that are being proposed maybe coming into law soon, and these show that they're clueless, bag limits on coarse fish from lakes that the fish stocks are naturally occurring from fish spawning .... completely stupid, there will eventually be no fish in the lakes ffs!

Couldn't agree more with you !

• Advertisement

2Poc wrote:
    The Carp in Maynooth fisheries spawned this year.
    Seems to be more of a weather thing than an environment thing.

It is a weather thing (tho some say its more than that), they spawned in Maynooth last year too, but its a man made carp lake, so its more suited to Carp than most Irish lakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 nodisco

Agree with the butcher - carp need temp of 22C for successful spawning. I fished Galmoylestown (one of the spawning lakes) about 10 years ago and could not get over the water temp there - its literally luke warm at 5am!

Personally, I am not interested in carp because of the competition aspect. I pass Ballinafid all the time and there are always bivvies there - each to their own, but for me fishing is getting away from it all - not fighting for parking spaces :)

Ah but nodisco, it depends where you fish for them, the known lakes are always hard to get onto, but theres plenty of lakes in ireland that have small numbers of carp in them, and catching those is a challenge and you'll normally have the place to yourself :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 nodisco

true enough. I spent a few summers on hard lakes with few carp to show for it but they sure were worth it. Pay-to-play stocked carp fisheries are all the go in the UK, seems to be on the up here too. Where theres a market......

You won't find me paying them though! I don't get any sense of achievement for bagging a protein fed 6lb tench or 10lb carp from an owned water and paying for the privilege. Each to their own but I would be interested in hearing opinions on it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

I believe the canals/ponds of the wexford slobs were stocked with carp a few years ago. I don't know how they are doing though-the owners were thinking of developing a coarse fishery.

http://www.google.com/maps?ll=52.286853,-6.420994&spn=0.040900,0.109915&t=k&hl=en

quite a bit of water there..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭ek942

Money would be better spent on a few more bailiffs to stop the poaching that has become rampant all over the country.

Advertisement