Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

quick css question

Options
  • 21-09-2005 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭

if I use css on my site..
    If I use a font that I specify
    Will the person viewing the site see my specified font despite that they don't have that particular type of font on their pc?

Or will the pc choose to display it in the basic such as Arial?

This answer will save me lots of time whether to learn css or not because font is the only reason I need it to display..

Otherwise I'll have to resort to use flash..

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

If you specify a font to be displayed on a site, and the user does not have that font on their system, the browser will display the default font, which is usually Times New Roman, but it can be set by the user.

What you need to do is set a font-family. The browser will keep trying to use each font until it either finds one that it has, or runs out of options. You can do this like so:
    .somestyle { 
      font-family: Georgia, "Times New Roman", Times, serif, Verdana;
    }

If you have an absolute requirement for a particular font, and it's not a standard font, then the only chance of it being displayed is to use Flash. This does depend on the user having Flash player and flash content enabled (which would be most people I'd imagine).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭lau1247

thanks for the reply..

It's clear that I should stick to flash then..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭dave_eire

You could always look into embedding the font...?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/fontembed/font_embed.asp

not sure if that helps?

Cheersd

font embedding i a good idea actually..

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭Cork Skate

If you have anymore questions about css then visit www.htmldog.com ... there is a good section there on css and gives examples of how it is used etc.

Hope this helps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Netscape brought in something of this sort in the late 90s; I sincerely hope it was scrapped. Bear in mind that not all your users will even be using the same font SYSTEM. Anyway, most people don't like it when the website imposes odd fonts on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

rsynnott wrote:
    Anyway, most people don't like it when the website imposes odd fonts on them.

I'd agree with this. Just use Flash. Try and use Flash 8 if you can afford it as the new FlashType seems to be really good.

i have the lot of the macromedia mx series software..
    I'm just wandering is it possible to achieve it via css without the need to install font on other's system..
    So I would know which is worth while to learn..

It looks likely that I'll stick with flash..

Advertisement