Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dennis Bradley attacked by....?

Options
  • 21-09-2005 11:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Looks nasty and clearly an attempt to put pressure on nationalist involvment in the PSNI I'd say.
    The vice-chairman of the Policing Board, Dennis Bradley, is in hospital with a head injury after being attacked in a bar in Londonderry.

He was set upon by a hooded man with a type of baseball bat as he watched a football match with his son on Tuesday. He was not seriously injured.

The police said a major line of inquiry was that dissident republicans were behind the attack at Leckey Road.

Mr Bradley's home has previously been attacked and he has received threats.

Chief Superintendent Richard Russell said police would be looking into these previous incidents.

"Our major line of inquiry has to be that dissident republicans were behind this particular attack," he said.

"It doesn't seem to have been a random attack, although it may well have been an opportunistic attack."

Full article
    here

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Wonder if the 'RA will offer, like they did with McCartney's killers, to kneecap the perpetrator.

maybe not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭cal29

dissident republicans

I presume you know that republican does not just mean the Provisional movement

Even Micheal Mcdowell describes himself as a republican and to my knowledge he has no links to the provisional movement

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Scumbags. They are opposed to law & order and any oddball who thinks they'd follow the rule of law in a united Ireland is delusional. We've enough scumbags in west Dublin etc. to be worrying about, ta very much.

ah sure isnt it the cool and trendy thing to do these days, blaming republicans for everything
    Are you now claiming though that the PSNI are incorrect in their line of enquiry on this matter and that nationalists (of which dissident republicans are a group) are not responsible for this latest act of thuggery in NI?

I don't think any sane individual would blame SF/IRA for Loyalist rioting, they're just another bunch of scumbags throwing rocks-more reason to steer well clear of that patch of land.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭black_jack

mike65 wrote:
    type of baseball bat

I'm wondering if this sporting instrument has ever been purchase on this Isle, with the intent of putting it to the use that Kevin Costner dreamt of it.

Or put simply has anyone ever bought a baseball bat in NI without planning on using it to bate the crap out of someone?
    Cal29 wrote:
    dissident republicans

I presume you know that republican does not just mean the Provisional movement

Even Micheal Mcdowell describes himself as a republican and to my knowledge he has no links to the provisional movement

I assume you don't mean you think the dept head of the police board was beaten up by dissident PDs? They're nazi thugs, but thats just retortic.

You're intentially mudding the waters, Mc Dowell refers to himself as a republican because he's a support of the Irish Republic.

Dissident republicans invariable means that we'll find out that, once again, these thugs, were "thrown out" of the IRA "months ago" (and again not a speck of evidence to support this claim that this happened before the fact and not after the fact).

I have to wonder about the IRA recruitment policy, they'll take in every psycho in the land with a shoddy screening process, which we're supposed to believe missed out what a headcase they were dealing when they recruited them, but amazingly the IRA coped on to this and luckily kicked them out before they commited whatever act of violence got them in the press. How very Promethean.

• Advertisement

My Cat wrote:
    lets all be cool and trendy and blame nationalists for anything that happens. rioght on loike.

Is it trendy to respect law and order? Really? I can see that it might be an entirely new concept for supporters of the IRA, and the odd robbery and murder tells us some haven't yet made the transition to socieyt, but surely they realise that the rest of us have been doing it for years...

black_jack wrote:
    I'm wondering if this sporting instrument has ever been purchase on this Isle, with the intent of putting it to the use that Kevin Costner dreamt of it.

Or put simply has anyone ever bought a baseball bat in NI without planning on using it to bate the crap out of someone?

I assume you don't mean you think the dept head of the police board was beaten up by dissident PDs? They're nazi thugs, but thats just retortic.

You're intentially mudding the waters, Mc Dowell refers to himself as a republican because he's a support of the Irish Republic.

Dissident republicans invariable means that we'll find out that, once again, these thugs, were "thrown out" of the IRA "months ago" (and again not a speck of evidence to support this claim that this happened before the fact and not after the fact).

I have to wonder about the IRA recruitment policy, they'll take in every psycho in the land with a shoddy screening process, which we're supposed to believe missed out what a headcase they were dealing when they recruited them, but amazingly the IRA coped on to this and luckily kicked them out before they commited whatever act of violence got them in the press. How very Promethean.

Dissident republican groups as they are refered to have been recruiting in their own right for over a decade
    Membership of a "dissident republican group" does not in any way mean that they had to have been members of the provisional republican movement at any stage in their lives

That is my point in mentioning Mcdowell people can refer to themselves as Republican without having any involvement with the provisional movement past present or future

Just for the record Martin Mcguinness was one of the first people to visit Mr Bradley in Hospital
    Mitchell Mclaughlin described Mr Bradley as a Friend of his on 57live on RTE this evening
    Both have condemned the attack as cowardly and reprehensible

So maybe we should wait and see who Dennis Bradley believes is responsible for the attack upon him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭black_jack

cal29 wrote:
    Dissident republican groups as they are refered to have been recruiting in their own right for over a decade
    Membership of a "dissident republican group" does not in any way mean that they had to have been members of the provisional republican movement at any stage in their lives

Just remarking on the irony, it's been frequent over the last few years for the RA and SF to disavow all knowledge and remark that then later it's the acts of disaowed members of the provos.
    That is my point in mentioning Mcdowell people can refer to themselves as Republican without having any involvement with the provisional movement past present or future

Yeah and it's a total non sequitur it's like trying to tar Desmond Tutu as a self avowed christian and therefore responsible for the inquistion.
    Just for the record Martin Mcguinness was one of the first people to visit Mr Bradley in Hospital
    Mitchell Mclaughlin described Mr Bradley as a Friend of his on 57live on RTE this evening
    Both have condemned the attack as cowardly and reprehensible

So maybe we should wait and see who Dennis Bradley believes is responsible for the attack upon him

Uh huh, and Mc Guinness is the same man whos blamed the PSNI for violence and responsibility in the Mc Cartney related arrested back in january, yet got the family up at the Ard Feis, he's too smart a cute hor to avoid not scurring up at the moment when unionists are looking weaken, another week he'd be blaming this on republican frustration with the lack of implimentation of the patton commision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Ajnag

Is it trendy to respect law and order? Really? I can see that it might be an entirely new concept for supporters of the IRA, and the odd robbery and murder tells us some haven't yet made the transition to socieyt, but surely they realise that the rest of us have been doing it for years...

:rolleyes:

Which has what to do with what exactly?
    lets all be cool and trendy and blame nationalists for anything that happens. rioght on loike.

So where exactly has the this poster professed support for the Ira?

Back on planet earth....
    Until it's shown that the attacker was nationalist, dissident or otherwise everything said is conjecture and hersay. But I do also take note, that in the midst of the loyalist rioting season, no one seems to give a toss how law and order applys to their side of the line.

But carry on... dont mind me.
    Cant wait to see what inferances are going to be drawn on my part for stating the obvious.
    Yeah I must be a shinner....:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 breandan

black_jack wrote:
    Dissident republicans invariable means that we'll find out that, once again, these thugs, were "thrown out" of the IRA "months ago"

Completely untrue and misleading by you. There have been breakaway movements opperating for decades, indeed the Provos were 'dissidents' at one time as well. As we now know the term 'dissident' in relation to physical force Republicans........these dissident groups have been operating for about ten years. Your statement above is just an attempt to lay the blame at the feet of the IRA without any prof and thus drag SF into the discussion.

black_jack wrote:
    but amazingly the IRA coped on to this and luckily kicked them out before they commited whatever act of violence got them in the press. How very Promethean.

Most 'dissident' Republicans left of their own accord as they were unhappy with the direction that mainstream Republicanism, ie SF/IRA were taking. Again your statement is innacurate and intentionally so Id imagen.

• Advertisement

breandan wrote:

Most 'dissident' Republicans left of their own accord as they were unhappy with the direction that mainstream Republicanism, ie SF/IRA were taking. Again your statement is innacurate and intentionally so Id imagen.

I would argue that as groups like RSF have been around for over 20 years and other "Dissident" groups for a decade or more than many of the membership of these groups never left the Provisional movement because they never were in the provisional movement in the first place.

Dissident republican groups recruit their own members they dont sit around waiting for provos to become disaffected nor would I imagine that they send prospective members to the Provisional movement before they can join dissident groups

Again republican is not a trademark anyone can use it

Whatever happened to My Cat's post? Seems to have been deleted!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

mike65 wrote:
    Looks nasty and clearly an attempt to put pressure on nationalist involvment in the PSNI I'd say.
    Or.... an angry loyalist with a truncheon spots a member of the policing board? Unionist members of Belfast District Policing Partnership have withdrawn in protest at the police handling of recent violence in loyalist areas. They are not happy campers at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,418 ✭✭✭✭Victor

black_jack wrote:
    But what would then become of that favorite fashion accessory, the baseball cap?

Advertisement