Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New UCD Television station

• 21-09-2005 11:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭

whats the story with this i saw an add for it in the freshers guide, anyone know anything about it??

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

so really they should call it C&ETV, oh wait sorry that's called Greece Uncovered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭tintinr35

Wtf???

Red Alert wrote:
    so really they should call it C&ETV, oh wait sorry that's called Greece Uncovered.

Rofl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭HappyCrackHead

This is the best information ive been able to source so far about CTN, which is up and running already.

Its being headed up by a girl who spent the last year in the US, (how this qualifies her i dont know but this was the info i got)

There were ads placed in the Observer and Tribune last year (big help to first years) Considering its been in the pipeline for quite a while, in its conception and execution over the summer.

However like many UCD so-called "student" institutions it does seem VERY closed shop. They were covering such exciting news stories as "C&E's Iron Stomach"... wow ground breaking... stupid fúcktards...

I saw some of the... do you call them journalists? they didnt look like journalists, all orange and yellow and pink... i thought journalists looked... rrr Respectable i believe the word is?

anyway im just bitching because ive had a crap week. either way u know that very few people here are gonna end up involved, lets face it, we dont have enough vitamin C

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

None of that is fair Kev.
    You're judging a society before its even got off the ground ffs, that's worse than me (and if anyone here is aware how much I b*tch about this college, you'll know that's saying something).

Get involved (or try) and if they act like cliquey assh0les.... THEN b*tch about them.

But I like this idea, tbh, and I hope it does well.

I like the idea of UCD being "groundbreaking" in a way that doesn't involve 3-year-old autistic children drawing the crest for the university... So this is a step in the right direction (for once)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭GusherING

What I find so suprising is that there is a fully fledged TV studio in the top floors of the library and that for years its just been left idle. Has it ever been used before, and if so, for what? :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Young Siward

Apparently they're running in conjunction with FilmSoc, so if you wanna get involved probably go down to the Filmsoc office at the entrance down by the Trap.

It's bizarre that the only promotion is the odd poster down the concourse with their email on it - no stand in the tent or anything. Poor show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 351 ✭✭Slippers

CTN -- Campus Television Network

Isn't a network an alliance of stations rather than just the one?
    The name bugs me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

They were filming in the Fresher's tent on friday. Didn't look like they had their sh!t together at all. They'd left it to the last day, when fewest students are around, many stands were already taken down and the ones that weren't were looking worse for wear, to film.

One of the lads asked us if we could pose outdie in our philsoc t-shirts looking tired after a hard week. I had to explain to him that since it was the last day my t-shirt was at home in the wash and that we were all out of cigarettes. They could have caught some actuall shots of us smoking tiredly any other day of the week. Can't imagine why they left it so late.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 CTN

To answer a few questions....
    Pretty*Monster: CTN were actually filming all week and not just on Friday. Alone it Stands (DramSoc) play was filmed, as was the Iron Stomach Competition, the Colours Debate and the Bungee Jumping. In fact a camera crew and presenter went up the crane to interview people before they jumped, and two members of CTN did the jump. Furthermore, CTN did interviews with Ross O'Carroll Kelly and Liz McManus TD over the last week.

Slippers: The name Campus Television Network was decided upon after the college admin rejected a number of ideas for names, including the name UCDTV. The reason the word 'network' is there instead of just 'station', is because it is a network of UCD, DCU and DIT. Both DIT and DCU will be providing numerous programmes to CTN, and furthermore UCD students will have the opportunity to make programmes with students of DIT and DCU sharing the resources of all three colleges.

Young Siward: You said the only promotion was the odd poster along the concourse. Then I take it you didn't read the UCD Handbook, the Fresher's Guide and the LawSoc Magazine as there were ads in all of those, and both the Observer and Tribune did articles about CTN. Furthermore, there were CTN members going around campus all week wearing CTN Hoodies and T-Shirts and answering questions.

HappyCrackHead: First of all, you didn't see any of CTN's journalists around Campus as CTN hasn't started news stories yet, so you are completely making things up. Secondly, you sarcastically ask how spending a year in the US could qualify the girl heading CTN. Well if you knew the girl, you wouldn't have to ask that.

All I can say is CTN is not cliquey, anyone can help out/become a part of it. It will provide a training ground for UCD students who want to get into film, broadcasting, editing, producing etc. and it will be fun! Those interested should email UCDCTN@gmail.com

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

So how are we gonna be able to watch it? I presume it won't be broadcast nationally... will it only be shown in the Students Centre or somethin?

CTN will be broadcast via the internal campus cable system to the student residences of Roebuck, Glenomena and Merville, as well as the student centre, forum bar, student bar, staff common room, student common room, arts block and the bank. Furthermore, CTN will have a website up and running shortly, where an archive of programmes will be maintained for visitors to download/watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Good call :cool:

Good answer CTN.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

Take THAT you haters!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

CTN wrote:
    CTN will be broadcast via the internal campus cable system to the student residences of Roebuck, Glenomena and Merville

We have an internal cable tv system??? And what about the majority of residents who use the rabbit ears to pick up stations?

And you assume that the residents will bother to tune their tv's in to receive CTN? Like Belfield FM assumes everyone tunes in their radios? ;-)

It's up to the students. Hopefully they aren't all as cynical as you. :)

hey i'm all up for UCD TV. Just being realistic about how many people will actaully watch it.

I mean you gotta admit not many people can be listening to Belfield Fm during their periods of broadcasting when the student centre has FM 104 playing... ;-)

I see where you're coming from.

On a side note: Why was Belfield FM moved fromt the infinitely more central position at the lake, to that tiny prefab beside the astroturf pitches?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,173 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Because they're as annoying as fúck if you're in the law section trying to study.

• Advertisement

CTN wrote:
    CTN will be broadcast via the internal campus cable system to the student residences of Roebuck, Glenomena and Merville, as well as the student centre, forum bar, student bar, staff common room, student common room, arts block and the bank. Furthermore, CTN will have a website up and running shortly, where an archive of programmes will be maintained for visitors to download/watch.

What about belgrove eh :eek:

tintinr35: CTN will not be broadcasting to Belgrove, as unfortunately the internal cable system doesn't run to Belgrove. Those who pick up channels using rabbit ears will not be able to pick up CTN. Due to licensing reasons CTN cannot broadcast via satellite or airwaves, it can only broadcast via cable.

It is hoped that the majority of people who watch CTN will watch on the internet, broadcasting via cable is just an extra, to make it a proper TV Station and not just an internet TV Station.

irlrobins: The most important thing about CTN is to provide a training ground to UCD students who want to be presenters, editors, news reporters etc and to have fun, its not all about viewers.

ah well,
    tis strange that it runs into sh1tty roebuck and not over to the bronx, not ur fault tho!!!

I've been asked to appear in a CTN program.
    I'm a bit nervous, but life would be less interesting if I turned down unexpected opportunities because I was nervous. So I said yes...

Why would you be nervous? Nobody will be watching. Literally. The audience will consist of the Cameraperson and station manager. Doesn't sound overly intimidating to me.

As far as I am aware, there will be a cameraperson, a soundperson, two presenters/producers/directors, and two other participants.
    ...Interacting with six people I don't know is enough to make me nervous.:o
    And that's without a camera recording stupid things I say, jokes that aren't funny, etc.:)

Yeah, tbh I was only kiddin. I'd be brickin it as well, tbh. Altho I'll probably be on BelfieldFM at some point next week, and I don't find the thought overly perturbing, but I spose it's a different kettle of fish.

Good luck anyway mate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭penguincakes

I'm tempted to be mean and say that I'll be on the same program & give a very vague description so you embarass yourself trying on film trying to work out who I am...

But I won't.

• Advertisement

whats prog about btw? and when will it be broadcast?

Advertisement