Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mini Disc Recorders

Options
  • 18-08-1999 2:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭

I just got myself one of those Mini Disc Recorders and was wondering if it's possible to connect it to a computer and maybe use it as another drive, for backups of course smile.gif

Anyone ever have any success with this type of thing?

BTW, these things are really cool biggrin.gif

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

you have too much time on your hands smile.gif

i dont think so though. its uppose to connect t o your stereo afaik not your puter.
    if it were to be conoected to a pc youd prolly get some software like the psion palmtops get and some connection leads.

mind you, i havent a f*ckin clue smile.gif
    just a wild stab in the dark

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I don't know the answer to this, however it is feasible.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭tibor

Well you can only buy audio discs here at the moment AFAIK
    But it is entirely possible to use it for data storage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Karla

Does it matter what format the disks are? Surely you can format them yourself. Isn't there a standard format for CD's ISO 9660 or something...

Someone said that they use a crappy compression algorithm too, it doesn't record certain sounds, hence you can fit a whole CD onto a MD.

That too might cause problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭tibor

Well, AFAIK, a minidic only
    actually stores about 147megs of data,
    its the compression that lets you fit a whole albums worth of stuff on it in audio
    format. For data storage though, they're
    i) too dear, compared to a zip drive that costs £55 for 47 megs less storage per disk.
    ii) Don't hold eough data compared to 650megs on cd.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Elvis

Oh no no no!! smile.gif
    It is possible to use mindiscs for storing data (they hold about 140 megs). However, its a completely different format and is in no way compatible with the audio discs. You have to buy the data ones seperately and you have to get a big new fancy md data drive.

Other than that mds kick ass and the only way you hook it up to your puter is to the sound card to record mp3s smile.gif

Check out minidisc.org

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

or you could just get a rio smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

and store a massive 32megs of mp3's!!!!
    wow i'm in awe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

wait, they have a massive 64meg card now, woo! smile.gif

btw, anyone heard anything about the new 500 model coming out at the end of the month?

Advertisement