Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Network Access

Options
  • 21-09-2005 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭

Hi There

i have a network with 4 computers on it, i want to connect a laptop to network but give it no access to the files on any of the other computers i only want to give it internet access has anybody any advice on how one could do this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

put it in a different workgroup...

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭s_gr

Depending on the switch, a VLAN could be implemented.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭andrew163

Put a guest password on all the other computers (Command prompt> net user Guest [newpassword]).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭paconnors

i've tried that nothin works

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Has any of the computers windows2000 server?
    Creating a domain is your best bet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭sirlinux

On the laptop go to control panel, network connections, right click on local aeraconnection, choose properties, untick "client for microsoft networks" and "file and print sharing for microsoft network", that will disable the laptop from browsing any network share anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

Need a little more info here. It all depends on your Internet Gateway device. Is it a PC, Firewall box, router? You could

1. Use a VLAN (this would be a corp solution aka €€€€€€)
    2. Use a separate cable for the laptop to a router (cheap but needs a supporting router)
    3. Assign multiple networks to the same cable and use subnetting (needs more sophisticated router)
    4. Install a proxy client on the laptop and forces all connections out through the firewall (even LAN connections - but needs a proxy server)

TBH the simpliest way here would be to put two NICs into the one server and prevent routing between them. That way the laptop would sit on one net and the 4 PCs on another net. But again need a little more info.

Advertisement