Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing rad; need help with room BTU requirement

Options
  • 21-09-2005 1:12pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭

I need to replace a radiator as the existing one is old, leaky, was always too small for the room anyway (600mm high x 900mm wide convector).

My problem is that I don't know how to work out the BTU requirement for the room. I used to have one of those wheel chart things, that I got from a plumber friend, but I lost it a long time ago.
    So, I need a little help with working out the optimum BTU rating for the following size room:
    height 2400
    width 3500
    length 4900

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭kiss103

you need more info such as windows , external etc ,

see this website http://www.radcalcs.com/

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I found B&Q's simple to use. Here

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Thanks for the help lads.
    I'm a bit perplexed as to why both sites are giving me such varied results though, Radcalcs gave a result of ~5400BTU/hr, whereas B&Q gave me ~8000BTU/hr.
    :confused:
    I reckon I'll go for the 8000BTU/hr, just to be sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭flocker

A simple option is to change the 600 x 900 rad for a 600 x 900 double panel rad. Using a Stelrad schedule the output is 7087btu. There should be no moving of pipes just a slight bend out to suit the valve position.

Just an idea.

Advertisement