Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF makes you cry!..FACT!!

Options
  • 21-09-2005 1:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=60972
    Respondents to a survey on emotion in videogames have voted Square-Enix's Final Fantasy titles as the most emotionally rich games ever made, citing the death of Aeries in Final Fantasy VII as the series' most tearjerking moment.

Analysts from Bowen Research conducted an online survey of 535 gamers and found that more than two thirds of those questioned felt that games already surpassed - or would soon equal - music, movies and books in terms of emotional impact delivered.

More than 75 per cent of gamers ranked role playing games as being emotionally powerful, with the figure hovering around the 50 per cent mark for action, adventure and first person shooter titles. 39 per cent said fighting games had the power to move them, with one respondent noting that they can "help solve rage issues."

Didnt make me cry, In Sf2 after beating all others by 2 perfects and one loss to try get the mythical 1.3 million score i blocked a Bsion attack and thus lost the perfect that would have got me 1.3 million , now that made me cry.

kdjac

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Anyone that describes the death of a character within a game as "tearjerking" needs to evaluate their emotional state. :D

Although, I felt very bad for poor old Snake in the ending where Meryl dies in MGS.....I was 12 though, and I didn't exactly find it tearjerking :p

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭-oRnein9-

Anyone that describes the death of a character within a game as "tearjerking" needs to evaluate their emotional state. :D

Although, I felt very bad for poor old Snake in the ending where Meryl dies in MGS.....I was 12 though, and I didn't exactly find it tearjerking :p

She doesn't die if you can take the electric torture from revolver ocelot, just thought id mention that. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Tank Top Fever!

The death of Aeris was fairly emotional (for a game) but I wouldn't shed any tears over it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

-oRnein9- wrote:
    She doesn't die if you can take the electric torture from revolver ocelot, just thought id mention that. :)

I know, thats why I said "In the ending where meryl dies" as opposed to "when meryl dies" :)

I was always a crap button basher though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

I was never really sure why game designers got obsessed with the idea of making a player cry .. i mean firstly games produce much higher levels of emotional response in other others. No movie has ever scared me as much as Doom or AvP, very few have made me laugh or enjoy myself as much as Monkey Island 2 or DotT. You will probably never reach a 10% of the excitement of some of the levels in Half Life 1 from a movie. Still you don't see film producers rushing around going "We have to reach the same level as video games"

Secondly, the vast vast majority of movies make people cry through silly emotional manipulation. You have audiences undivided attention, you put some soppy music in the background and then you have puppy die. Titanic is a classific example where u just want to shout, "Why the f**k are you all crying, this is stupid nonsense." Its not hard for films to do it, but it is hardly a serious emotional response. That is still very hard for movies to do well, let alone video games where you can be looking at the lovely steel texture reflect your gun while your love interest is getting eatten by the zombie.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,402 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I know some one who cried at the end of Outcast.

Have to say I was close to tears at that moment in FFVII. Unlike a movie you do become very attached to characters that you have spent 40+ hours with especially in RPGs with very well developed characters. Came close to tears at the end of Suikoden 2 as well however the story was based around a very famous chinese epic. Panzer Dragoon Orta as well after playing Panzer Dragoon Saga and realising the full impact of the message left by Azel for Orta in Sestren's system in the Forbidden Zone stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭-oRnein9-

I know, thats why I said "In the ending where meryl dies" as opposed to "when meryl dies" :)

I was always a crap button basher though...

Sorry misread your reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Resident Evil 4 made me cry

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

I always remember the Unreal 2 ending to be one of the saddest, when you are listening the a recording of your crew saying goodbye to you before sacraficing their lives for you so you could escape.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,402 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think I pissed myself laughing at the cheesiness of that part. The story of the whole game was a joke and I saw that coming a mile off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

I have to admit that i think i shed a tear when Otacon's sis Emma dies in MGS2. Maybe Kojima used all the same cheap tricks they use to make you cry in movies like Titanic, but damn it, I fell for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

I thought this was going to be about Friendly Fire. That does make me cry.
    The only game to make me cry is that Zelda game on the gameboy, upon completion of which I wept tears of joy (not really).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Branoic wrote:
    I have to admit that i think i shed a tear when Otacon's sis Emma dies in MGS2. Maybe Kojima used all the same cheap tricks they use to make you cry in movies like Titanic, but damn it, I fell for it.

'Cause they... don't... tell... her... Ack!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Branoic wrote:
    He did the same thing in MGS1 with Sniper Wolf. I think its mostly because of the soundtrack, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

SofaKing wrote:
    He did the same thing in MGS1 with Sniper Wolf. I think its mostly because of the soundtrack, tbh.

Emma bothered me much more than Sniper Wolf. Sniper Wolf was a card carrying bad guy, whereas Emma was more of a civilian caught in the cross fire.

Although, I have to admit, when I needed a melodramatic tale of woe for an English test, it was Sniper Wolf's dialogue I... uh... referenced.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

when the Deku tree died at the start of ocarina of time. sad stuff. really makes ya wanna get that ganondorf!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Branoic wrote:

Completed MGS2 a while ago, but don't remember that part at all ... shows the lack of impact that game made on my gaming memories .. do remember getting a shiver down my spin of anticipation at the opening credit sequence, followed by sinking feeling when I realised its really just PacMan with very very long (and confusingly silly) FMV parts ..

[wicknight stands back awaiting stoning from MGS fans]

evad_lhorg wrote:
    when the Deku tree died at the start of ocarina of time. sad stuff. really makes ya wanna get that ganondorf!
    The passing of a true Tom Selleck impersonator... *sniff* and then that creepy litte shrub replaced him, and didnt join in the celebrations in the end... how sad

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Wicknight wrote:
    Get him!!
    Emma's bit didn't get to me too much; I was too busy being weirded out by her Otacon obsession. The saddest bit in the game for me was
    when Solidus dies. And he falls off the roof and you see his hand outstretched and Washingtons hand on the statue?
    /me salutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Final Fantasy would probably be at the top of the list for me too. Then Suikoden. I always found MGS dialogue interesting and amusing but never really emotional. I seem to remember being very emotional over something in Vandal Hearts on PS1 but its so long ago that I can't remember a thing about it....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

More recently I found the scene in Halo 2 where Master Chief has to leave Cortana behind on the Convenent flag ship to be pretty moving.

But then self sacrifice is always one that gets to me... I always cry at the end of the Iron Giant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Wicknight wrote:
    Completed MGS2 a while ago, but don't remember that part at all ... shows the lack of impact that game made on my gaming memories .. do remember getting a shiver down my spin of anticipation at the opening credit sequence, followed by sinking feeling when I realised its really just PacMan with very very long (and confusingly silly) FMV parts ..

Hmmmmmmmm. ;) lol, like PacMan, i've never heard that comparison before, its good.

TBH MGS2 is (simply in my opinion, before i get flamed!) one of the top games I've ever played. Yes the story was OTT and silly, but that's why it was so good. I totally went with the story. No other game's story, period, has remained with me the way MGS2's has, and I mean no other game, including HL2 and Deux Ex. Im not saying MGS2 is a better *game* than those, just that its story captured my imagination more.

To keep this post OT - that's why Emma's death was so effective for me.

Otacons dreadful voice acting ruined Emma's death scene for me. I found it hilarious. I always liked the Suikoden endings where it tells you what happened to each of the characters. It even made me smile about after the tragic ending of Suikoden. Suikoden has always brought a smile to my face despite some of the games being very dark. Seeing who the first two returning characters in Suikoden 2 were was brilliant. Grandia also had a great ending when you got to see the characters in the game all grown up and
    loads of ickle justin and feenas :D

A game that really disturbed me, even more so than the Silent Hill games, was the opening of Vandal Hearts 2. There is an awful lot of nasty moments. I have a promo copy and I'm pretty sure a lot of those scenes were cut from the english language retail version since it really is a very realistic and not at all nice scene of a town being destroyed by the enemy army.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Stop maing excuses! You failed her! You weren't there for her when she needed you most and now she's dead.

EDIT: Speaking of MGS, I always felt really sad for grey fox. If i recal he sacrificed himself so youd have a chance to take out metal gear.

Zillah wrote:
    Stop maing excuses! You failed her! You weren't there for her when she needed you most and now she's dead.
    Stealth is better than the bandana anyday.

The Chrono Trigger endings were really nice... the Frog one got me right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

my three strongest emotional responses to games were
    1. The Cradle - Thief 3..... hairs were standing on end
    2. The Seafron Hotel - Vampire Bloodlines.... equally as scary as the cradle
    3. Doom (original).......... the first appearance of the cacodemon, i literally had to stop playing, coupled to the age factor when i first played it.

ive never played a game thats made me want to cry (apart from trying to beat cardinal syn on very hard with all chars)

RopeDrink wrote:
    Now that scares have been mentioned, the first time the zombie dogs break through the corridoor windows in Res Evil

Got me every time I play the damn game. They even changed it just a little bit in Remake so that it still got me :D

As for Undying, Elizabeth was really freaky. My favourite moment was when you fall into a cobweb filled crypt. You then start to here voices, the lights go out and it's pitch black, then skeletons start rising from the graves.

The award for scariest moment goes to Super Metroid and the boss you kill by knocking into the lava. Anyone who has played the game will understand.

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Got me every time I play the damn game. They even changed it just a little bit in Remake so that it still got me :D
    Yeh, they hit the window first, a little bit of glass skitters across the floor... then they burst through, magic.

Advertisement