Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fiat and Ford to share small car platform

• 21-09-2005 1:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭

Oh please let it be the Trepiuno....

From Fiatforum.com:

"Fiat Auto and Ford Europe are near a deal to build their next minicars at Fiat's plant in Poland starting in 2008, Automotive News Europe reports.

Fiat will build 120,000 units annually of each vehicle in its Tychy assembly plant, 310km south of Warsaw. Fiat's version will replace its Seicento minicar starting in 2008.

The Ford version will replace its Ka entry-level model starting later that year. The two companies are expected to sign the final agreement by the end of October. They signed a memorandum of understanding in late August.

Both vehicles will share a shortened version of the Fiat Panda's platform.

The Panda also is built in Tychy. The two vehicles also will share their entire powertrain and a number of major components, but will have very different body styles.

"It won't be the basic shape with just three different front and rear ends like the Citroen C1, Peugeot 107 and Toyota Aygo minicars," said a source familiar with the project. "Ford will add its own body to the Fiat underpinnings."

Ford's version will hit the market later because Fiat already has started development of its new minicar. To keep the designs different, the two cars won't share any body panels. Even the doors - one of the most expensive body parts - will be specific to each model. The C1, 107 and Aygo share their doors, roof and the entire greenhouse. Technically, the deal won't be a joint venture; it will be a manufacturing contract.

Fiat has similar product-supply agreements with Suzuki and PSA/Peugeot-Citroen. Starting in early 2006, Suzuki will supply Fiat with a version of its new SUV built in Hungary. Fiat will call its version the Sedici. By 2007, Fiat's longtime Turkish partner Turk Otomobil Fabrikasi (Tofas) will supply Citroen and Peugeot with a new light-commercial vehicle, currently dubbed the Minicargo. Fiat will make all the investments, except the parts specific to the Ka replacement, which Ford will pay for. Fiat will recover the research and development and plant tooling investments from the production fees it will charge Ford for the Ka replacements it builds.

Fiat will call its new Polish-built minicar the 500 after its famous predecessor. Between 1957 and 1977, Fiat built 3.9 million units of the 500, the icon of Italian basic transportation. The new Fiat 500 will be a three-door hatchback with four seats and an overall length of 3400mm. The design is derived from the 3+1 concept car unveiled at the 2004 Geneva motor show.

The new Ford will replace the aging Ka, built since 1997 in Valencia, Spain.

The cars will debut offering two, four-cylinder engines from Fiat: a 1.0-litre petrol unit and a 1.3-liter common-rail diesel. Fiat's powertrain subsidiary, Fiat Powertrain Technologies, also is working on a smaller petrol engine, which the two minicars will use by 2010.

Currently under development, this new engine will be a two- or three-cylinder unit with less than 1.0 litre of capacity. Fiat expects CO2 emissions to be less than 100 grams per kilometre. By 2008, European carmakers' average CO2 emissions in Europe should be less than 140g/km, so the small engine would help reduce the corporate average for both automakers."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Why does my heart sink a little with this sort of news? One day every car company will pitch in together to develope a multi-purpose platform and we'll end up driving something like this

blandoleerzz.jpg

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

A necessary evil to keep Fiat alive, I'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭prospect

A necessary evil to keep Fiat alive, I'd imagine.
    :confused:

Ford are using Fiats panda platform, and GM are putting Fiats JTD engine in all their diesel cars. I would have thought the opposite, that things in Fiat are actually picking up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

prospect wrote:
    Ford are using Fiats panda platform, and GM are putting Fiats JTD engine in all their diesel cars. I would have thought the opposite, that things in Fiat are actually picking up.
    That's what I mean - Fiat must climb into bed with other manufacturers in order to get the economies of scale for their cars. They're doing pretty good at it, which means they'll stay alive. Ford are the necessary evil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭prospect

Ah, see what your saying now, sorry the brain is a bit numb at the moment.

:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

mike65 wrote:
    Why does my heart sink a little with this sort of news? One day every car company will pitch in together to develope a multi-purpose platform and we'll end up driving something like this

blandoleerzz.jpg

Mike.
    Ok, who installed MSPaint on Mike65's computer? Uninstall it before he starts expressing his creativity...

Nice effort though - I'd drive one of those. Provided it comes with a 3.5 v6 Nissan engine.

'c

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,325 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Oh please let it be the Trepiuno....
    That is one cute car! I like it. It does seem as if that's what they are planning on building; 3 + 1 in Italian is tre piu uno......Trepiuno :D

Advertisement