Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband options in Craughwell?

• 21-09-2005 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭

A bit of a long shot here.

A friend of mine is moving to Craughwell, Co. Galway in a few weeks times and has asked me to check out broad band options for her.

I live in Kildare so have no idea what's available or not. I've checked IBB - they don't cover out there and I'm assuming that Eircom or BT don't either (I've checked the enabled exchanges thread).

So, what are my options? Satellite I think would be too expensive for a not-too-heavy user and ISDN is way too expensive.

Any ideas? What about this IrishWAN - is there something that could be sorted using that service?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭mikeruurds

Hi there

A roll out of wireless broadband has been approved for that area and is being coordinated by the Athenry Group broadband scheme.

Send an email to communitybroadband@gmail.com to register your interest.

It might also be of benefit to your friend to register their interest with Irish Broadband.

I copied this out of a local Parish newsletter after googling your query:

Athenry Craughwell Community Broadband Scheme.
    A community broadband co-op has been set up to help provide broadband to the areas that currently cannot get broadband. A public meeting will take place on Tuesday 30th August in the Castlegate Hotel, Athenry at 8p.m. to roll out the community broadband scheme for the Athenry, Craughwell and Kiltullagh areas. All those interested are invited to attend.

So it looks like your friend will hopefully have some type of broadband available there soon :)

Also see the following post: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=290254

You might try making contact with the users on that post who seem to be involved in the scheme and would have more up to date information for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭SwampThing

Thanks Mike, I appreciate that!

Advertisement