Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seeking advice on kitchen unit doors

Options
  • 21-09-2005 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭

We were planning on choosing painted solid timber doors for the kitchen units. Recently we were advised that with solid timber, if they get damaged, it's almost impossible to repair the damage, e.g. touching them up just looks terrible and if the door has to be replaced it will never match the others, due to ageing. So now we're considering vinyl wrapped PVC for a few Euro less.

Any advice welcome, thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Maneul,

What i noticed is that the gap between vinyl wrapped PVC and solid wood in price has dropped. The vinyl bounched back because
    a) like you said its tough
    B) it holds its colour
    C) easy to clean

Solid wood tends to darken a bit and can stop matching floors and counter tops if your unlucky. I still prefer the hard wood though, and i hate the way the sides are all cheapo compared to the doors, this is another thing that gets more noticable as the wooden colour changes with respect to the sides.

So if you want the colour to hold and you have kids with markers then PVC is the way to go

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭dogg_r_69

Stoner wrote:
    Maneul,
    The vinyl bounched back because
    a) like you said its tough

I would kindof disagree there because I think these doors do damage easily enough and if you do damage them there is no fixing them unlike solid timber where most marks can be touched up if you know what you're doing
    Stoner wrote:
    B) it holds its colour
    These fade to but as they fade together, it's not noticed.
    Stoner wrote:
    Solid wood tends to darken a bit and can stop matching floors and counter tops if your unlucky. I still prefer the hard wood though, and i hate the way the sides are all cheapo compared to the doors, this is another thing that gets more noticable as the wooden colour changes with respect to the sides.
    True solid timber darkens but even if a new door is brought in next to them Give it a couple of weeks and it won't be far off matching. Pine is a perfect example of this
    Again I would prefere the solid timber As far as I'm concerned there's no comparasion

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

I'd be inclined to agree with dogg r 69, pvc foil wrapped doors are impossible to repair, timber are easier , if you know what you are doing.
    The pvc foil is less in thickness than a corresponding veneer layer on an mdf door. Mdf would also be easier to repair than a pvc foil wrapped door.

kadman :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

We added units and island to our kitchen earlier this year. We had a new kitchen fitted 6 - 7 years ago and have solid doors. The colour difference was minimal and you had to look for it. I've just looked at the doors and cannot tell the difference between the original and the newer doors.

Advertisement