Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Report/Study on: Gay Marriage, Same-Sex Parenting,and America's Children

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,311 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

The Devil interfered with the result. Anyway all good Christians know that science == evil lies ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Fiendish Freddy

Just had a look at the link and as an agnostic and a logical thinking person i have to say come on lets us use our well developed noggins, same sex parenting has to have an affect on a child, think realistically about it, i know everyone wants boundries to be crossed but experimenting with an innocent childs life to make a point, which in all fairness will take an awful lot longer than a few genrations to prove, is just a bit too radical and frankly a bit unconcsiensious.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

and a logical thinking person

Bigots have impeccable logic although their logic caters for contradictions and as such allows all statements to become either tautologies or fallacies as emotional reasoning would dictate.
    same sex parenting has to have an affect on a child

Congratulations, you've discovered the theory of cause and effect. Now use your logically thinking mind to imagine the infinite possibilities as a child grows, and put the sexuality of his/her parents in the context of that.
    experimenting with an innocent childs life to make a point, which in all fairness will take an awful lot longer than a few genrations to prove, is just a bit too radical and frankly a bit unconcsiensious.

Noone wants to mindlessly experiment with an innocent child's life. Adopted children in some ways have better chances than children living with their biological parents as adoptive parents are so carefully screened and vetted. As it stands, a straight couple can bring a child into the world by getting too drunk one night and forgetting to use contraception. The process is far more involved for a gay couple.

My opinion is not an attack on the capability of gay couples to raise a healthy, well brought up child and what you say is entirely true, nobody pays attention to the issue of children raised by alcoholics, drug addicts etc but this is a sad fact of life, unfortunately this is something neither you or i can fix.
    By pulling edited quotes from what i gave as an opinion and not an attack on gay couples, and calling me a bigot etc etc, seems more to me like this is something that you feel very strongly about and i touched a nerve which caused you to attack my perception on why the world works the way it does.
    The simple fact of the matter is, a child that is brought up within a gay relationship still has to live in the world that exists outside the family, no matter how high the values and other moral issues are that a child is brought up with, basically a child is not mentally equipped to deal with these kind off emotional issues and they will affect the child in later life.
    My appologies if i offended you but but most of my gay friends seem to understand the reason why this is such a sore issue in society at this point in time and i dont understand why you cant.
    It's not that hard to grasp... Really

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

most of my gay friends seem to understand the reason why this is such a sore issue in society at this point in time and i dont understand why you cant.
    It's not that hard to grasp... Really

To paraphrase:
    Be a good little queer and know your place and toe the line like the rest. I obviously am right because I have gay friends.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭patzer117

My opinion is not an attack on the capability of gay couples to raise a healthy, well brought up child

Mine is. I have no doubt that the child will turn out reasonable, possibly even the nicest child ever, but it is my personal opinion that a child needs the love of both a mother and a father. Through their mother and father they learn about loving care, how to treat the two sexes with complete respect, they have a fatherly protective figure, they have two completely different people who love them in completely different ways. Men and women view the world differently from each other and I think it is necessary in the rearing of a child to pass on both types of wisdom to the child.

That's just my opinion so don't eat me. I have a few gay friends who disagree and I debate with them about it - they point out that a single mother raising a child is twice as bad, and while to an extent I see where they are coming from, I don't agree that just because one unfortunate case is condoned (though not perfectly respected or respected as perfect) that another that one might percieve as slightly better should be condoned too.

Don't get me wrong, many gay couples are a class act and I completely respect the,, I just don't feel they have the necessary qualifications to raise a child.

Patzer

patzer117 wrote:
    they point out that a single mother raising a child is twice as bad

Your friends are idiots then. Twice as bad? Jesus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

I also believe that having both a mother and a father is important, however I've heard the "Better to have broken teath then be from a broken home" arguement too many times, to believe that it's the most important thing.

Fiendish Freddy: I think you underestimate kids far to much. Few grow up surrounded in cotten wool. Most have to deal with being different from others, be it because they are poor, rich, from a single parent family, whatever. Yes there are some in the world that will hate them because of who their parents are, in the same way mixed race children are hated by some.

Raising kids is not some form of quantitative analysis.

Like i said i'm not trying to continue tit for tat in the argument that obviously will go on for many years to come but theres no need to to reduce a sensible debate to a scowling session, its kind of immature.

Quote* - "Be a good little queer and know your place and toe the line like the rest. I obviously am right because I have gay friends."

You've just tarred yourself with the 'typical' brush, how predictable!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

No, its qualitative...

And unique to every situation. However, and since we're talking logic here, I was merely giving a contraexample to disprove a premise, i was not offering my own premise.

You've just tarred yourself with the 'typical' brush, how predictable!!

Q.E.D.

Quote* - No, its qualitative...

I agree, providing you're not immediately ridiculed for having an opposing opinion.

And its not that i underestimate kids, i just think the brains development in early years is extremely impressionable and certain mental scars cannot be erased... And no I'm not saying being brought up by a gay couple will cause mental scars, before somebody knocks round to my house with a length of rope, but it sure as hell wont reduce the chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

what a load of b******

Unless you are going to regulate who has sex, who ovulates, who gets pregnant, then children are going to happen, by "accident" or planning.

How well adjusted etc. these children are will depend mostly on their actual parents, not some clssification that their paerents fit into , whether it be "single" "alcoholic""gay" "absent" .

The single mother comment is rather insulting. Leaving aside the "single mum" category it refers to, there are simgle mums because the dad is away with work commitments, the widowed mum etc etc.

It maybe seen as "ideal" that a child has both parents, one of each sex, but this is a presumption, a product what we are "taught". Its also dangerous to some degree as the ideal of two opposite sex parents leads to the ideal of a specific family unit, to a specific marriage unit, and so on to the prejuice and discrimination gay people, and other minorities endure.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

patzer117 wrote:
    Mine is. I have no doubt that the child will turn out reasonable, possibly even the nicest child ever, but it is my personal opinion that a child needs the love of both a mother and a father. Through their mother and father they learn about loving care, how to treat the two sexes with complete respect, they have a fatherly protective figure, they have two completely different people who love them in completely different ways. Men and women view the world differently from each other and I think it is necessary in the rearing of a child to pass on both types of wisdom to the child.

It's actually being shown that children of same-sex couples are more sensitive in their relationships to people and have a more open-minded world view. Men and women may view the world differently from each other but so do introverts and extroverts, logical thinkers and emotional thinkers, visual thinkers and auditory thinkers etc., the list goes on. I view the world differently to many people I know, male and female.

I also view the world differently to my parents. Unless a child is going to be locked in the house and home schooled until he/she's 18, he/she is going to have plenty of role models outside the home.
    patzer117 wrote:
    I just don't feel they have the necessary qualifications to raise a child.

And what qualifications would those be?
    And its not that i underestimate kids, i just think the brains development in early years is extremely impressionable and certain mental scars cannot be erased... And no I'm not saying being brought up by a gay couple will cause mental scars, before somebody knocks round to my house with a length of rope, but it sure as hell wont reduce the chances.

I don't see your problem here. In fact it's exactly what the study above showed, that the sexuality of the parent has no effect on the kid. And since adoptive parents are so carefully screened before being allowed to adopt, then I would say it's a great thing for the child.

Advertisement