Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Few questions- BT -> NTL

• 21-09-2005 5:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭

Hi lads,

Looking for a few answers. Planning on changing from BT to NTL when my contract runs out next month and I need to know a few things before I do.

1. What will happen with my @iol.ie email address, will it still work or will I need a new one?

2. What does the modem connect to? Does it have to connect to an ntl box or is it just to coaxial cable from a box or what?

3. About how long does it take from ordering to be installed?

Any helps much appreciated, thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

CrimE wrote:
    Planning on changing from BT to NTL when my contract runs out next month
    Best of luck trying to close your BT account.

I got a bill last week for €87 for 2 months broadband. The flyer enclosed aid that the standard price is €30 pm. :rolleyes:

I've rung them 6 times in the last week & stayed on hold for over 30 minutes each time. I tried their web support and was quickly told to ring 1904 for any account related query.

I sent an email on monday & got the automated 'Someone will get back to you' reply.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Gurgle wrote:

I got a bill last week for €87 for 2 months broadband. The flyer enclosed aid that the standard price is €30 pm. :rolleyes:

I've rung them 6 times in the last week & stayed on hold for over 30 minutes each time. I tried their web support and was quickly told to ring 1904 for any account related query.

I sent an email on monday & got the automated 'Someone will get back to you' reply.

I am fied up saying it but it is utterly incredible that such an imcompetent company can continue in business. There is an escalation email address somewhere in one of the recent threads on Esat/BT which seems to work otherwise why not contact Comreg and see if they will help you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭CrimE

Actually I have had to ring a couple of times for different reasons and never had any hasssle. Found them helpful and quick but maybe im in the minority. Only reason I want to switch is that I want the 3000/300 package from ntl.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

CrimE wrote:
    1. What will happen with my @iol.ie email address, will it still work or will I need a new one?

It will still work, however you might have problems sending email with it. You would be better off in getting a gmail account, it makes it easier to move ISPs
    CrimE wrote:
    2. What does the modem connect to? Does it have to connect to an ntl box or is it just to coaxial cable from a box or what?

Coax cable from your TV point connects to NTL modem, modem connects to your PC using either Ethernet or USB.
    CrimE wrote:

It took two weeks for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Shing

CrimE wrote:

I'm not entirely sure but here's something that may be helpful. I used to be on IOL No Limits so I had a few IOL e-mail accounts.

But I eventually switched to Eircom Broadband. I can still receive the e-mails from the IOL accounts but I send using them. I think it is required that you are on an IOL connection in order to send e-mails using the IOL accounts.

As I said earlier, it may be related or it may not. As bk suggested, just a Gmail (or other similar) account for freedom.

Regards,
    Wai Shing

• Advertisement

Ok cheers lads.

About the gmail, I know it can work with outlook express (pop) but does it work on the same principle as my iol one? Cause I read something about message forwarding involved with gmail. I much prefer using outlook express as opposed to web based ones. Will it work the same or will I have to get an ntl email addy :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

CrimE wrote:
    bk wrote:
    It will still work, however you might have problems sending email with it. You would be better off in getting a gmail account, it makes it easier to move ISPs
    But I eventually switched to Eircom Broadband. I can still receive the e-mails from the IOL accounts but I send using them. I think it is required that you are on an IOL connection in order to send e-mails using the IOL accounts.

yes - it will still work. bk yours will as well.
    receiving will stay as is, for sending change the outgoing server to that of the new ISP.
    send problem is caused by ISPs operating closed relay mail servers (ie you need to be coming from one of their ip addresses to send mail via their servers)
    CrimE wrote:

directly to your pc & directly to an ntl box on the wall
    see ntl cablemodem installation for details & diagram
    CrimE wrote:

usually not long according to most users on here - 5 days from ordering???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,780 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I ordered NTL on a Monday and had it installed on the Thursday.
    Impressive.

Brilliant cheers lads. Really appreciate the help. Cant wait to get ntl :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Gurgle wrote:

simple if you dont want it and want it cancelled and they try and charge ya just dont pay it.

And as for getting NTL its the best ISP available you wont regeret getting them! :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

bk wrote:

Coax cable from your TV point connects to NTL modem, modem connects to your PC using either Ethernet or USB.

It took two weeks for me.

Your old emaili address should work if you leave the account as it is except change the smtp to whatever the ntl setting is. Lots of people carry email addresses with them from isp to isp and usually thats all that needs to be changed.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

dub45 wrote:
    Your old emaili address should work if you leave the account as it is except change the smtp to whatever the ntl setting is. Lots of people carry email addresses with them from isp to isp and usually thats all that needs to be changed.

Thanks I had completely forgotten about that, I had actually set them up with NTL but I just forgot about it. I haven't used my IOL accounts in years as I now use my own domain name and email server.
    CrimE wrote:
    I much prefer using outlook express as opposed to web based ones.

Gmail's web interface is simply outstanding, much better then anything that has been before, once you use it you will never use Outlook Express again!

CrimE wrote:
    Actually I have had to ring a couple of times for different reasons and never had any hasssle.
    What time of day did you ring at?

Infini wrote:
    simple if you dont want it and want it cancelled and they try and charge ya just dont pay it.
    Direct debit!
    & Besides, I want to keep Esat broadband, I just don't want to pay them a monthly fee for calls when my calls are billed by Eircom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

Direct debit is under your control, not BT's. Simply instruct your bank to cancel it.

Gurgle wrote:
    What time of day did you ring at?

Cant remember exactly but I rang during the day and late in the evening. Why you ask?

CrimE wrote:
    Cant remember exactly but I rang during the day and late in the evening. Why you ask?

Because I've rung at 11AM, 4PM, 6PM & 7PM and never got through.

At 11 and 4, you get 'This is an extremely busy time we recommend you call back later'

At 6-7 you just get hold music after the automated call direction.

Then after 8PM, 'Call centre is closed, please leave a message and we'll call you back in the morning'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Billy Kovachy

Yea NTL are quite good set it up for us in two weeks, would have been 1 if I was not asleep from drink when they called first. Also I got free basic tv package free for a year with the new account the sales guy I got give me as much as possible. Still not paying after two months and not getting much sleep playing Wolfenstein.

Dunno then I never had a problem but from what I have read they dont sound the best. Service (the broadband itself) is always good.

Does there tend to be any downtime/contention problems with ntl, ie. is it as reliable and stable as adsl?

Advertisement