Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resizing uploaded images with an ASP script

Options
  • 21-09-2005 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭

As part of a fairly basic cms I built for a client they can upload images with SA fileup via a form to go with news articles they are publishing, but being ignorant of all things image, they can't grasp the concept of resizing the images to a suitable size before doing this, and continue to upload them as they come out of their digital camera, i.e. huge.

I'm now examining resizing the images automatically upon upload, but have been told by my hosting company that they won't install a plug-in on the server for anything like this (perhaps understandably). Does anyone know of a script based solution for this that wouldn't involve any software installation?

Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭leftofcentre

Its impossible to do it without software. Remember the script could reside on your server, check out www.aspin.com for resize apps.

A good option might be the Image Resizer powertoy, this is pretty idiot proof. You right right click on the image file, as you can see in the screen grab below.
    resizepic1.JPG

You can download it from:
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/whistler/Install/2/WXP/EN-US/ImageResizerPowertoySetup.exe

• Registered Users Posts: 46 nogihno

I have had the same problem many times. I agree with leftofcentre, a very easy to use fool proof software.

I would definately recommend that you consider his option.

Regards,

nogihno

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

It isn't actually IMPOSSIBLE. Read the JPEG spec, and implement in VBScript! Of course, you probably don't want to do that... It's old-fashioned ASP, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

rsynnott wrote:
    It isn't actually IMPOSSIBLE. Read the JPEG spec, and implement in VBScript! Of course, you probably don't want to do that... It's old-fashioned ASP, right?

That sounds complicated!

Thanks for the suggestions re the powertoy, have forwarded the information to them and will see how they get on with that. They made a flurry of updates to the site once i delivered it, most with 2mb+ pictures included which I had to manually resize and replace, and they haven't touched it since I told them off for doing so. Hopefully this will inspire them to continue using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭DJB

Improv, All my advice today seems to be going to you! :)

If you are using Dreamweaver, checkout www.dmxzone.com. They have a neat little product that will set up everything for you. It will do the upload for you, resize the image, create an additional thumbnail if needed, rename the image, etc, etc. They do it all without any server components. But for the image resize part, the minimum you will need is asp.net turned on for your domain, which shouldn't be too much bother. You can use loads of components but if you can't get any installed from your hosting company, go with the ASP.NET route. It has it's own inbuilt image resizer. :)

http://www.dmxzone.com/index.asp?TypeId=3&CatId=69

You're looking for Pure ASP Upload 2.2 and Smart Image Processor. They do bundles of their software and are not that expensive. I bought this about 2/3 years ago and it has well paid for itself.

Rgds,

Dave

• Advertisement
Advertisement