Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Interference on wifi connection?

• 21-09-2005 5:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭

I'm having a problem with setting up a wifi network in my brothers house. I have the same setup im house and it works perfectly. I bought a 3com wireless router (3CRWE554G72T) from Komplett. when I used his router in my house it works perfectly. But when I use it in his house his laptop and home pc pick up the signal as excellent but the speeds seem to be more like dialup and it hops from 54Mbps to 1Mbps. I tried picking different channels on the router which didnt help. I not picking up any neighbours network or anything like that. I even tried turning off his cordless phone.
    Anybody got any idea's ? :confused:
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Have you tried using your computer to connect to the router in his house?
    Ensure line of sight when setting it up in house.
    Sources of interference or disruption: any device using 2.4GHz~(This includes some bluetooth devices,cordless telephones, and microwaves) and walls,etc...
    Check his laptop and PC for spyware/viruses,etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

I connected a computer direct to the router and it works fine. His laptop is brand new and it works fine on my network. The laptop loses connection when i'm sitting next to the router. The only thing I can see different from my setup is I have the old firmware on mine.

Hmmm.Any neighbours taking advantage..? :)

Forgetting about the throughput to the Internet (that's a different can o' worms) - how frequently does the connection speed drop across the WLAN? Use iperf, and ping -t to test!
    Please specify (Clearly) what clients are used for your machine(s) and his..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Drexl Spivey

I had the same problem. Bad connectivity in my new house.

I have disabled WPA encryption (now my network is unprotected ..) and it's working better.

I have WPA on and off which made no difference. . The speeds seem to drop all the time even when it reading it at 54Mbps the speeds seem slow. I'm using just the inbuild xp software in the pc and laptop for the wifi connection. All the the pc's and laptop's are running XP.
    Its driving me nuts at this stage.

• Advertisement

... specify the wireless cards in use.
    Specify what Service Pack is installed on the machines.
    Disable power saving on the clients and on the router.
    Failing this, reset the router.

Their all service pack 2. Not too sure the make of the card in the pc. But the laptop is a fujitsu siemans with an inbuilt card.
    Thanks for the help Karoma I wont get a chance to have another to look at it,
    heading off on hoildays tonight.

Advertisement