Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quietest day evarrrrrrrrrr?

Options
  • 21-09-2005 6:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Maybe its me or at least the boards I tend to use but its so quiet out there, I see tumbleweed where there should be lots of happy posters.

Boards remians cripplingly slow so are ppl just not bothering, prefereing to lurk as its just easier?

Mike.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

I miss that new posts button. Although i'm getting some work done these days so it's not all bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

fade2black wrote:
    I miss that new posts button. Although i'm getting some work done these days so it's not all bad.
    I miss the "my posts" button. I reply to stuff on the main page, and certain forums, but nothing else. Proberly loads of stuff I need to reply to, but I don't where they are :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

mike65 wrote:
    Maybe its me or at least the boards I tend to use but its so quiet out there, I see tumbleweed where there should be lots of happy posters.

Boards remians cripplingly slow so are ppl just not bothering, prefereing to lurk as its just easier?

Mike.

Yeah. Seems very dead today. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

My beloved http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/search.php?showposts=0&do=process&s=&searchuser=cormie search link is dearly missed and is thus leading to allot less activity from myself. Any idea as to when boards will be back to its former glory? Is the search function only put back online at weekends or is there a certain happy hour it's enabled at? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Only put back at weekends when the number of people online are fewer. Think Regi said that there's €5k of hardware on the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

mike65 wrote:

Mike.

AH has been dead. Which never a good sign.

Nice for a change though tbh :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I think the search was much more important than we gave it credit. I'd say my activity has reduced because of it. My employer is saving €150/hour.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

lafortezza wrote:
    Only put back at weekends when the number of people online are fewer. Think Regi said that there's €5k of hardware on the way.
    More like €5k of white powder. Its all a front i tell ye. And they would have got away with too, if it wasn't for you pesky kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭masteroftherealm

Sooo dead, agree on the new posts thing, it taked so long to check each forum individually for something interesting to reply to!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

yup place is quiet, alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭masteroftherealm

*Whistles*

• Registered Users Posts: 22,307 ✭✭✭✭Esel

cormie wrote:
    My beloved http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/search.php?showposts=0&do=process&s=&searchuser=cormie search link is dearly missed and is thus leading to allot less activity from myself. Any idea as to when boards will be back to its former glory? Is the search function only put back online at weekends or is there a certain happy hour it's enabled at? :rolleyes:

I was going to answer your question (which has been answered many times already), but then I realised you will never visit this thread because your beloved link is disabled. Ah well.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

cormie wrote:
    Is the search function only put back online at weekends or is there a certain happy hour it's enabled at? :rolleyes:
    I hear it's enabled between three and four AM during the week, though I don't tend to be on much at that time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

mike65 wrote:

Mike.

Well with the sort of day it is, (it is quite possibly the worst day of the year weather wise) I'd expect it to be buzzing as people pass away the on the net, rather strange to see it quite.

Five reasons for boards losing hits,

1) boards has being going downhill for about 6 months,

2) Until more people get broadband, people won't "waste" dial-up time on boards when other sites takes like 30mins to download via Dial-up,

3) There is too much "Zero-tolerance" on boards and this is putting loads of people off,

4) Blogs are eating into message forums in general,

5) 80,000 people are preparing for the all-Ireland final and have no time to go online, although the amount of people travelling to Dublin will easily exceed 100,000, if 1% of them are boards and internet users go figure. Boards is too FireFox oriented, and most people have IE and can't download because of ignorance and slow internet speeds. (IE crashed for me right now but luckily i had what i typed copied into MS word and am now posting through Firefox, Until boards is IE friendly the people will vote with their feet, also remember outside the towns and cities (which is where the masses live) we don't have broadband (although i have skydsl satellite bb) and boards is too slow to download on dial-up, although i did it for years!

Is this the end of boards.ie as we know it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

netwhizkid for admin!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

netwhizkid for ****tard of the year more like. He really is a ****tard.

Just because a lot of people on boards.ie prefer firefox, does not mean boards.ie is at all firefox oriented, never mind too firefox oriented.

If you are referring to the bug in internet explorer, go hassle microsoft see how they treat you when you point out one of their "features" in one of thier beloved applications.

Boards works just the same on firefox as it does on IE, and if thats not the case then I would eat not just my hat, but yours too in a wager that it was in fact IE's fault rather than vbulletins.

You're obviously an ignoramus to keep spouting this rubbish, get your facts straight or stfu!

Baz_

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Baz_ wrote:
    netwhizkid for ****tard of the year more like. He really is a ****tard.

Just because a lot of people on boards.ie prefer firefox, does not mean boards.ie is at all firefox oriented, never mind too firefox oriented.

If you are referring to the bug in internet explorer, go hassle microsoft see how they treat you when you point out one of their "features" in one of thier beloved applications.

Boards works just the same on firefox as it does on IE, and if thats not the case then I would eat not just my hat, but yours too in a wager that it was in fact IE's fault rather than vbulletins.

You're obviously an ignoramus to keep spouting this rubbish, get your facts straight or stfu!

Baz_
    Ignoramus, now thats a word i havnt heard in a long while.:D

ive always had problems with ie and boards, hense im a firefox man, especially since that adserver incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

ie hasnt worked for me in months so meh.

3) There is too much "Zero-tolerance" on boards and this is putting loads of people off,

when then this start?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    when then this start?

I think he means moderating.

i know he means moderating...but i'm not 100% behind him on it being zero tolerance at the moment?

or ever?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

More moderating = less muppets

Less muppets = better boards

Ergo, concordantly, vis-a-vis... You know what? I have no idea what the hell I'm saying. I just thought it would make me sound cool.

makes you sound manly...very sexy. sort of like a stiff erect piller standing tall in the centre of a wartorn city that is filled with the pure fluids of logic which will soon erupt across the land purifying boardsie.

dont know what i'm saying, i just thought it would make me look dirty.

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    makes you sound manly...very sexy. sort of like a stiff erect piller standing tall in the centre of a wartorn city that is filled with the pure fluids of logic which will soon erupt across the land purifying boardsie.
    Sounds like something MobileInfantry would post tbh

delly wrote:
    Sounds like something MobileInfantry would post tbh

well we do have a special bond, me and mobile...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

netwhizkid wrote:
    Is this the end of boards.ie as we know it?

If we say yes, do you promise not to come back.

Advertisement