Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What should i do?

Options
  • 21-09-2005 6:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭

Ok i'm buying an old car. I'm confused. It's my first car and i wanna buy it cash out of my wages to start me off.

I have 3 options.

1) 92' VM Polo, Red, (1.4L) Great condition inside and out 95k miles on it. 1 months Tax left on it. No NCT. = 600 Euro. The guy says it will pass not problem.

2) 93' Astra Saloon. (1.4L) (non metallica red) Pretty good condition, 100k miles on it. No Tax or NCT but the guy thinks it would only need minor work done if it didn't pass the NCT. = 300 Euro.

3) 91' Opel Kadett, (1.2L) Decent condition - 76k miles on it. Taxed till next month, NCT'd until June next year. Gold color. 400 quid.

What should i do? Go for 1 of these or do any of you have any other suggestions.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

I wouldn't trust anyone that would tell me the car would pass no problem for a start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Bartonprince

Not very helpful. some people get new cars and don't want the bother of NCT'ing the old ones. Any Help?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭posiedon

I would go for the polo, but I would ask for it to be NCT by the current owner first. They're pretty solid, so unless you spot anything really dodgy it probably will pass, except the dreaded emissions test for older cars can be a bit tough, and can be pricey to put right. At those kind of prices, even things like new tyres make a huge difference, cos they cost you half the price of the car again to replace.

If the current owner will not NCT the car, then maybe haggle him down to 450.

Again for that kind of money, if the car ran for 6 more months, I would be happy, so perhaps you're more comfortable taking something NCTd and be done with it, and just drive it into the ground then.

Ok if you think it's not very helpful that's your problem. If you want to believe someone trying to sell you a car so easily then you are an idiot. Why not offer him 450 as said about and the rest if it passes the NCT. If he's so sure then he shouldn't have a problem with it. My girlfriend's dad has been driving a car since he bought it last January without an NCT and he has no intention of getting it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ho-hum..... :rolleyes:

As for the subject at hand, the Polo sounds like your best bet if you're not worried about space. But as said make the NCT part of the sale, if they wont play ball then look a little longer, there are a zillion cars of that vintage out there.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭Ann Elk

2) 93' Astra Saloon. (1.4L) (non metallica red) Pretty good condition, 100k miles on it. No Tax or NCT but the guy thinks it would only need minor work done if it didn't pass the NCT. = 300 Euro.
    Thanks

I'd go for the Astra - I feckin' hate Metallica. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Not very helpful. some people get new cars and don't want the bother of NCT'ing the old ones. Any Help?
    Actually, FX Meister is correct. There are an awful lot of dodgy people and dodgy cars out there. If a seller tells you that a car has no NCT "but she'll pass no problem" you can be pretty sure that he's either lying through his teeth or else just chancing his arm.

Go for a car with an NCT. It doesn't guarantee that the car is any good but it's better than nothing. There are plenty of used cars out there with NCTs so there's no need to mess about with ones without. Only buy a car without an NCT if you are mechanically experienced and know exactly what you're doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

I'd buy the 91 kadett if you want to get on the road straight away. You could spend any amount of money getting a car NCT passed. Also I think the kadett hasn't a cat. converter and is easier to get through the test next time.

I'd prefer not to trust someone right off the bait as it's easier not to get suckered. I remember looking a Polo years ago in the showroom of the main VW dealer in Talllaght. I opened the boot and could clearly see the overspray on the lights and the lid springs from a repair job yet I asked if it had been repaired or resprayed for any reason and was told no. Never trust anyone selling a car, they may turn out to be genuine and in that case they you're no worse off for not trusting them.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bmoferrall

Grab this before 'Cormie' does :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Bartonprince

Ok thanks for all the advice. i didn't meanto offend anyone with the "not very helpful" thing.

Anyway i went with the astra.

The guy selling it is lovely. he and he wife are lovely and they live near me, they just bought a 01' megane so the wife doesn't need the astra anymore. my girlfriends dad drove the care and he said it's really nice.

We looked at it at he's house. So if it's drunk i can just drive it through he living room window sure...

Thanks!

Advertisement