Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finishing Games

Options
  • 21-09-2005 7:46pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Just got to finishing a few of the games I have accrued over the last few months.
    Aside from Halo2, Eternal Darkness and Metal Arms I hadn't completed very much of late but continued to flit from new purchase to new purchase never taking the time to play a game past the first few stages.
    But I decided to apply myself and in the last 4 weeks have cleared Silent Hill 2, Brothers In Arms Road to Hill 30 and Beyond Good & Evil.
    It was incredibly satisfying to clear them and this has spurred me on to finish a few more, now playing Freedom Fighters, Manhunt, God of War and a little bit of Flipnic to brighten things up!
    I just got a copy of Castlevania Symphony of the Night so may put the others on hold til I finish that magnificent beast of a game!

Best way to get a collection of classics, buy the titles that Edge covers in its Time Extend article, you simply buy one game every 4 weeks and soon ahve a selection of the best games ever created, it also pays to invest in the various pieces of sometimes archaic silicon that the game run on. I would never have bought Silent Hill2 if not for the article on its sequel, I bought them both and played Silent Hill2 to the bitter end, awesome stuff.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

I finished two entire games in 3 hours one evening recently: Parappa The Rapper and Mad Maestro 2. :)

I used to rent games for the Mega Drive and finish them 2 or 3 times. Even if I didn't really like them. When they were only an hour long you could just finish them over and over.

Can't get through most games nowadays. They're all 10+ hours long. I don't get the whole percieved value in long games. I never replay long games, they're usually full of dull filler that I don't want to trawl through again. With short games they throw out all the bloat and just leave in the good bits, so I end up playing them over and over again. Like a good music CD.

Finishing games is satisfying. Developers should stop wasting millions of man hours making content for games, and just make a small amount of good stuff. Counter Strike only has maybe 10 maps but you can play them over and over. It's a different experiece every time. Treasure make a game like Gunstar Heroes and it plays like a completely different game in hardmode to normal. They reuse the content intelligently, rather than trying to drown you in it.

/rant

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Recently I haven't been able to play an RPG for any decent amount of time due to a bastard increase in workload for my PhD. Not being able to play my favourite genre I've had to make do with my collection of japanese action games and am getting through them at a far old pace. I finished DMC 3 recently in 3 weeks after applying myself to it. I always finish any game I like and most of the ones that don't really grab my attention. Used to have to finish every game I got my hands on in ever difficulty mode with one credit on the Mega Drive. Used to be great at Gunstar Heroes. Unfortunately now I only have time for one playthrough due to a huge backlog of games at less time to play them. It's always very satisfying to beat a game. If you like it you can think 'that was a great game' and if you didn't, then 'thank god that is out of the way'. The best part though is choosing the next game to play :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

I still have ninja gaiden gathering dust on a shelf unfinished along with viewtiful joe, metroid prime 2 and burnout 3.

Hitman contracts too but i dont really care cos its crap ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Unfortunately now I only have time for one playthrough due to a huge backlog of games at less time to play them. It's always very satisfying to beat a game. If you like it you can think 'that was a great game' and if you didn't, then 'thank god that is out of the way'. The best part though is choosing the next game to play

Find it to be the exact same situation with me. I have a backlog of 20-30 games on various platforms, all of which i really want to play, but it takes so long to 'properly' finish most modern games because of their structure.

For instance, i'm a huge JRPG fan, and this idea of having to play through a game 2+ times to get/see everthing because i turned left instead of right at a certain point is a pain in the a** and a bit of a waste of time really.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I've a huge backlog at the moment too...I've so many unfinished games it's crazy. Though some of them I'll probably never finish... Ikaruga anyone? (got a loan of it, it's FABULOUS!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Yeah, i know how you feel. I've loads of games to go through and what do i do, I start LOZ: minish cap today.

Though the game is great fun and i'm flying through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Stalfos

I also once finished every game including every crapy bonus thing (got all the trophies in SSBM)there was but now i can barely clear a game or even make it halfway though. I still have to finish Baten Kaitos, Dungeon Siege 2, and Disciples 2 Gold edition to name a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

im ashamed to say this but i willl

I own all three current gen consoles. out of all my games around 51 are actually finishable(ie not a sports game or somethin like it) and I have only pathetically finished 6 of them :o

20 of them have only been in the console once or less. :rolleyes:

i also have a few n64 games i havnt finished and then final fantasy VI - IX on ps1 and syndicate wars/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

I've gotta complete Grandia 2, Psychonauts, Metal Gear Acid off the top of my head. Aswell as other games I haven't bought yet like Suikoden 4 and Resi 4 among others. 600+ hours played on World of Warcraft without actually completeing anything doesn't help.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Just reading realising the great embarrassment of owning nearly every Zelda game ever and finishing none of them, not to mention Metroid Prime 2, got to a boss about a quarter of the way through, not long after you get the dark armour and got stuck, have another go now and again, just get fustrated and swith it off, reckon that game guides are an underused resource though, get a lot of bad press, at least they permit one to actually finish a title instead of you trading it in in disgust and annoyance at being stumped.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

Last game i finished was halo, got a good way through san andreas only for my memory card to die and loose everything. Ive too many games started that i want to finish but i know ill never get around to it. Ive even got to the point where im not even opening games i buy sometimes just so i can keep at the ones ive already started. I would love to finish something again it really is great when you can put it back on the shelf like a trophy.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭-oRnein9-

I've got a stack of games that I have yet to finish also, /me glances to left:

hmmm..

Max Payne 2
    Doom3
    HL2
    KOTOR 2
    Mario Sunshine
    Rome Total War

...just to name a few , betta get crackin.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,454 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

As much as I say I like a game, if I look at it from a psychological viewpoint the games I comple generally show how much I REALLY like the game. Recently ive completed Ico, Astro Boy, and am a few hours of play away from the end of Resi remake. But other games Ive bought recently - like Max Payne and Red Faction 2 - are gathering dust. I think that says it all really.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

I have this problem where I start a game, get into a good bit then stop for some reason, usually lack of time. Then I'm left in the situation where I leave it for too long and either can't remember what was going on in the game or in some cases I can't remember how to even play the game, so I'm faced with starting all over again and I just can't be arsed doing that. So, I have a big back log to get through.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Well, I guess it will serve one well to just leave a game before you get embittered and come back to it in a couple of weeks, maybe months, then with a fresher perpective, less likely to follow previous paths through levels that causes one to get stuck, re-visit it without the shackles of painful "Continue from last checkpoint?" screens to draw you into a malaise.

Playing God of War and will complete it, seems to be one of a new breed of game that wants you to finish it and see every spectacular scene it has, Ico was the last title to be this pretty on the PS2.

And regarding backlogs, just eat some bran, that'll shift it!

No seriously I have been in the same spot and the only way to tackle it is 2 or 3 games at a time, playing a different one after a while if frustrated by a level, play the other two and then go back to the offending one. Slow and steady get through the ones that gave you the most pleasure before you got stuck, if an unfinshed game was lousy before you put it down, it will be lousy if you pick it back up too, just move on to something you really liked but got a little jammed.

Also don't be too proud to use a game guide, gamefaqs.com is the natural destination for al weary travellers who need a little assistance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

I'm so horrible with this. I just don't have enough to time to stick to most games till I get hooked. It's gnawing at me now though, most of those games are now 3000 miles away from me, but here with me now I'm working on Silent Hill 3 and Vice City. Not much chance though. Haven't played either in a few weeks.

Bleh!

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭lardboy

In the last couple of months I've finished Resi 4, GTA 3, Vice City (both replayed to 100% using gamefaqs.com), God of War and I'm about 80% through GTA:SA. However, there's plenty of games that I play a good lump of and then get bored.

Halo 2, Eternal Darkness, Metroid Prime, Mario Kart DD and SuperMonkey Ball 2 all fell foul of the boredom/annoying boss problem and so remain incomplete. I'm sure I'll give Halo 2 another pop, but when I really don't know as I still have Killer 7 to go at and I quite fancy another go at LOZ: Wind Waker before the next Zelda game comes out. There's also Fable and Doom 3 that I've played no more than the first levels of.

Oh, that's not including Mario 64 on the DS and whatever I'm going to get for the PSP when I order it this weekend.

Thank god the flatmate is away!

Metroid Prime does drag a bit and the last boss is a serious pain, Eternal Darkness gets quite good and disturbing towards the end, very satisfying to complete but the I like Lovecraft, Halo2 though, the problem there is making it last longer not failure to complete! MarioKart DD i am with you, just got boring and the opposition very cheap in their tactics, I just put it away and played something less boring instead. Fable was another one touted as being epic but turning out to be litle more than a short story, just when you have a good bit of development done with your character, the blasted plot ends, yes you can tool around doing the side quests and getting married but bugger that, at least PC owners got some extra stuff.
    As for not enough time if the game is good enough you will make the time, I stayed up til 2.30 in the morning to finish Knights of the Old Republic on the Xbox, and worth every second it was too, including the imminent risk of divorce from my lovely wife if i didn't turn that bloody thing off and come to bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

First game I ever cleared was Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles but I think since then i've only completed a horse racing game and silent hill after downloading the whole walkthrough. I go through phases with games and generally when I get stuck at a point, the game begins to gather dust.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

horse racing game? lol
    i used to be really bad at finishing games, but other the past few years i've completed all the games i've enjoyed

my list of excellent games played and completed in the past few years:
    mario 64
    zelda OoT
    GTA III & VC
    Prince of Persia SoT
    Beyond Good & Evil
    Thief 3
    Mario Sunshine

obscure games completed:
    probotector
    r-type lll (yey me)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

I've actually have a self imposed ban on buying any new games [no matter how stupidly cheap i manage to find them for] untill i've cleared out the backlog of games i currently have.

Amongst them are
    • Tales of Symphonia [finally onto the second disc, and i appear to be near the end of the game]
    • Morrowind
    • Civ 3 [though i'm thinking of giving this away, and plumping for Civ 4 instead]
    • FEAR
    • Shogun Total War
    • Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town
    • Advance Wars DS
    • Fable

That said in the year gone by i cleared plenty of games [in the first half, when i was unemployed, damn i miss being unemployed]

Homeworld 2
    Doom3
    HL2
    Vampire: the masquerade
    Metroid Fusion
    Shining force: legend of the dark dragon.
    PainKiller
    Splinter Cell 1

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

my problem is also the huge backlog of games i have to play :/

on the gamecube alone ive still to finish Viewtiful Joe 2, Starfox Adventures (dont ask me why), Pikmin and also haver to play through harvest moon & animal crossing way more then i have.
    On the PC then I have FEAR to get through & have still to buy civ 4.

the blame for this?
    why unreal tournament of course!
    far far far too much online play. when ur in a clan though and u have matches and stuff and then entering private cups it gets that way and time for other games just goes down the funnel. then Unreal Tournament 2007 will come out and i wont be able to afford to upgrade my PC so ill get time for the list above :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

I most recently cleared Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! on normal difficulty. Going back to it now on hard. First time I've ever done that - I think it speaks volumes for the quality of the game. Towards the latter stages on normal it was becoming physically tiring - with the end stage in paticular just being completely nuts - took about 3 weeks to actually get passed it - enjoyed every moment though.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭IceHawk

Recently enough, I decided I wasn't buying any new games until I finished at least 5 of the ones I currently own. Since then I've finished:
    Final Fantasy VII
    Far Cry
    Beyond Good and Evil
    Star Wars KOTOR II
    Prince of Persia: Sands of Time

I still have to finish:
    Prince of Persia: Warrior Within
    Final Fantasy VIII
    Final Fantasy X-2
    Black and White 2
    X2: The Threat

I'm working on X2 at the moment, but it looks like it's going to take months. The problem is I now have to buy F.E.A.R., Psychonauts, Shadow of the Colossus, Ico, Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones and We Love Katamari, So I'm in a worse position now than I was before I started.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

IceHawk wrote:
    Prince of Persia: Warrior Within
    Im running through it at the moment, not as bad as people say.

I dont buy a whole load of games so my backlog consists of only Metroid Prime 1 and Prince of Persia... getting a loan of XIII in a few days so that should get me through :)

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mad Mike

I generally manage to complete about 7 or 8 games a year but here are some games that stand out because I am proud to have finished them:

Doom (I and II)
    Descent
    Duke Nukem 3D
    Earthsiege (I and II)
    Half Life (I and II)
    System Shock
    Deus Ex
    Call of Duty (I and II)
    Morrowind
    Arx Fatalis
    Mafia
    Sacrifice
    Halo

Here are some game I never quite got around to finishing but still intend to:
    Fallout
    Urban Assault
    Serious Sam
    Homeworld
    Ground Control
    Hostile Waters
    Rome Total War
    Gothic 2
    Beyond Good and Evil

In hindsight - I almost always finish a shooter once I start it while I almost never finish an RTS.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

IceHawk wrote:
    I still have to finish:
    Final Fantasy X-2

Don't bother. Better off burning it. It's dire.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

I usually finish most games I enjoy, that is, finish to the ending ant not 100% finished with all secrets etc.
    I prefer a game that has a few hours in it, recently got King Kong for the DS, horrible controls, but sat down for about 2-3hrs and finished it in 1 sitting. No way I'm ever playing that again.
    Kameo took a few days, then spent about 2 weeks going back through it to get more gamer points.
    Quake 4 took about 2 weeks, but 10 days of that was me playing it solely online when I got stuck at a boss (which turned out to be final boss) until my Gold Trial ran out :D
    DoA4 took about a day to complete story mode with all charachters, going through it now to get some extra gamer points but struggling for motivation.

Was out of work with a broken elbow about a year or so ago for 5 weeks, managed to finish Half Life 2, Doom 3, Morrowind, San Andreas and a few more in that time, despite now being able to move 1 arm!

"Got" ~30 games for my Xbox a few months ago, finished 3 or 4, ~15 I will never play, and got bored of the rest after 1 or 2 sittings.
    Did finish both the Halos though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

mcgovern wrote:
    to get more gamer points.

what are they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

have about 60+ games over many formats (ps2, pc,xbox, xbox360, gamecube, and now DS)

and i must have about 30+ on just the xbox that have yet to be played more then 10mins. :rolleyes:

Advertisement