Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finishing Games

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

Just finished Area51 last night, good console port, the story made no sense to me but I enjoyed playing through it. Games that I've bought in the last couple of months that I need to finish:

Fahrenheit
    Quake IV
    BiA: Earned In Blood
    Vietcong 2
    Max Payne 2
    Mad Mike wrote:
    Mafia

Such a good game! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I rarely play games right through to the end, but if they have good multiplayer i can get hooked for years.
    Last single player game i finished was CoD 2. Before that, probably HL 2 and Max Payne 2 - notice a common trend: Short but good. (Some would debate that about MP2, but I digress)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

eyerer wrote:
    what are they?

Each game for the Xbox 360 has a max of 1000 gamer points. You get these by completing quests, winning a certain amount of games online, finishing the game, etc. Basically whatever the developer wants, DoA4 even has ones for the amount of time you've played the game.
    These points are shown on your profile, and people can then see what achievements you've gotten on what games.
    I think its a great addition, really added a lot of gameplay hours to the 360 for me.
    Unfortunately, alot of them need online play, and I dont fancy shelling out for Live Gold atm, so I've only got 930 gamer points atm, despite finishing the 3 games I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

do you get prizes/bonuses or is it just for bragging rights?

unfortunately i never played mafia during the period in which i would have liked it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Fahrenheit rocked. I felt sad when I finished that because I was enjoying it so much. Mafia was brilliant.

Gamer points are completely meaningless, I don't know why anyone actually takes any notice of those. You could play any random EA sports-garbage game and rack up points in several minutes doing stupid things like creating a profile or scoring one touchdown. Yawn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I really must pick up a copy of fahrenheit. I played the demo and liked it a lot, and i have a soft spot for anything that reminds me of the graphical adventures of about 12-15 years ago.

Stephen wrote:
    I really must pick up a copy of fahrenheit. I played the demo and liked it a lot, and i have a soft spot for anything that reminds me of the graphical adventures of about 12-15 years ago.

Do :)
    It really reminds me of the older style of games, and you really get immersed in it, it's part movie and part game almost. There are a few annoying parts, but you quickly forget about them or forgive it, because some parts just kick so much ass it's hard not to love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

koneko wrote:
    Fahrenheit rocked. I felt sad when I finished that because I was enjoying it so much. Mafia was brilliant.

Gamer points are completely meaningless, I don't know why anyone actually takes any notice of those. You could play any random EA sports-garbage game and rack up points in several minutes doing stupid things like creating a profile or scoring one touchdown. Yawn.

Thats EA man, and we all know EA are retarded money grabbing evils, achievments are entirely different with all games, although the achievments are only for show, it still add a little more to a game, so you can enjoy collecting/doing extra missions etc... that little bit more :)

Yeah, I just personally don't see the point. They can't be used for anything, they serve no actual purpose but, as someone else said, for bragging rights (which I don't like). And I ain't no man, man :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

On the 360 cleared COD2 pretty fast, very enjoyable, not as good an experience as Brothers In Arms on my humble PS2, but there you gom I am a sucker for realism. Cleared King Kong the other night too, very good as well, not a replay junkie so unlikely to revisit either title.
    Just got Everyone Loves Katamari and Sega Classics for the PS2 not to mention a raft of stuff since Christmas so I don't think I will ever clear all the games I have half finished, only the important ones.
    Its important not to waste your precious time on rubbish!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Meh. When I finished Castle Wolfenstein, I replayed it, as some of the levels were that good. When I finished Return to Castle Wolfenstein, never really replayed it. Likewise with the original Doom's, and the new Doom, except I never finished the new Doom, as I got bored with it. As the OP said; there would be less filler in the old one's, compared with the new ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

I have Doom3 rise of evil to finish, but I think like 95% of the other games, I'll lose patience and use god mode to finish it, I finished doom3 without cheats though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

I couldn't do all the missions on San Andreas because you have to do a 360 flip over the ramp in the driving school to unlock the car dealership missions! :(

Couldn't finish Fahrenheit because I got stuck in the bit where you sneak about the army base as a kid.

And I never finished Doom 3 out of boredom, HL2 was much more interesting to me.

Finished FEAR recently, very dramatic ending! :D
    Lots of other stuff I never finished, as far back as the Allies missions on Red Alert! :p

CiDeRmAn wrote:
    On the 360 cleared COD2 pretty fast, very enjoyable, not as good an experience as Brothers In Arms on my humble PS2, but there you gom I am a sucker for realism. Cleared King Kong the other night too, very good as well, not a replay junkie so unlikely to revisit either title.
    Just got Everyone Loves Katamari and Sega Classics for the PS2 not to mention a raft of stuff since Christmas so I don't think I will ever clear all the games I have half finished, only the important ones.
    Its important not to waste your precious time on rubbish!

are you a dentist?

anyway, today i confirmed that i must complete one story driven game before moving onto the next. i started a second game today and it just didn't feel right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Finally finished tales of Symphonia over the weekend.

After 60 hours, the ending was rubbish! i almost feel cheated [made up for the fact i schooled the final boss, and i thought i was underpowered :) ]

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Am I the only person who thought the end of Resi 4 was muck? God Of War has a very good ending IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

I've also stopped buying any games (except DS games, which I can usually enjoy in short bursts and generally don't take 40 hours to complete) until I finish the ones I already own first.

I see 2006 as a catch up year on the last generation while we're gearing up for the PS3/Revolution (of course, I still have Legend of Zelda: TP and Odama to look forward to.)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

The last game I played straight thru was God of War and before that
    Chaos Theory. Finished the first two Prince of Persias but stuck on
    the first boss on the new one. IF a game is good enough I'll stick
    with it but sometimes a few months will go by and will be inspired
    to retry it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Lemlin wrote:
    Am I the only person who thought the end of Resi 4 was muck?

Yes, or at least I hope so.

i'm am on my way to completing eternal darkness, i have no idea how long is left, but judging by the last item i picked up i would guess a handful of levels left
    i've been enjoying it, was never big into horror types but i'm liking the story here and the gameplay is varied enough to keep it interesting
    i'm also appreciating some of the things that are happening, really like that kind of unusual thinking
    as for the cube, once again must marvel at the graphics, if you saw the state of trackmania running on my pc.. :rolleyes: (you can hardly read the text on the starting arc)

and lastly, ED is kinda how i pictured the old fixed camera resident evil games being, but i'm liking it...would the older resis be worth a punt for the cube?
    (im getting RE4 btw so dont go there;))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

I've also stopped buying any games (except DS games, which I can usually enjoy in short bursts and generally don't take 40 hours to complete) until I finish the ones I already own first.

I find it funny how I wrote this a few days ago, as I just put my name down to purchase a batch of four Gamecube games in the FS section.

Guess there's no real reason to put a good bargain down. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

eyerer wrote:
    and lastly, ED is kinda how i pictured the old fixed camera resident evil games being, but i'm liking it...would the older resis be worth a punt for the cube?
    (im getting RE4 btw so dont go there;))

The old Resi games have kind of the same controls as ED. However if ED is a psychological horror, Resi is a dumb blood soaked horror (but rather good fun). I think the old resi games are definitely worth a purchase. Resi 2 is one of the best games ever made.

Advertisement