Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lucan Skate park Update

Options
  • 21-09-2005 9:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭

I have been informed by Cllr. Derek Keating that there will be a big meeting about the skate park next Friday at 7.15 in the Lucan sports and leisure centre, we need all the support we can get so please if possible be there.

Asto

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭smois

is that tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭asto

no next week! the 30th of September

• Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

How did this meeting go? Wasn't able to go, even though I was in Lucan that afternoon.

i was there...plans looked alright....work should commence within a month and will take 6 weeks to complete...so they say anyway...so goin by that id say it will be ready by the start of december...but maybe not...alri session afterwards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭da7a

hopefully it wont look anything like the drawing the council have up on thier website.

http://www.sdublincoco.ie/images/parks/Skatepark%201.jpg

pretty lame.

was this the plan they presented at the meeting or was it different?

• Advertisement

the pic is attached in this post. i think the link is broken in the last one...

Nope there not the plans, they were the original plans for the park, But the new plans have been drawn up by a skatepark company in the UK, From what i have heard they are really good at what they do, the people in this company are skaters themselves so they will have an idea what we want, the plans are really nice, they were presented at the meeting last Friday, In the next two weeks building will begin on the grounds of Lucan sports and Leisure centre, it is estimated that this project will be completed six weeks from the start date, Now they are looking at more issues regarding safety and security, They are hoping to have CCTV installed on the site, so the park will be well kept for our benefit, we dont want a park that will be destroyed by vandils, we want this park kept well and maintained so it will last longer and we will get more enjoyment out of it!

Asto

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭shagman

Nope there not the plans, they were the original plans for the park
    Yeah thankfully the park will look a little bit more like this......

shagman wrote:
    Yeah thankfully the park will look a little bit more like this......

Thats concerete as opposed to wood/metal/polycarb, right?

cool, thats reassuring.

the six foot quarter seems a bit lost though, could do with a spine or a fun box or something.

looks like it'll be a cool park!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭goo

The quarter pipe is real isolated but that's a huge improvement on the original.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Sanitarium

Sweet!!!!
    Plans look awesom :D
    When This is finished,(hopefully before 2012), we can get all the skaters (or most) to go and have a nice little skate session!
    That Would OWN!
    -San

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 glamourfish

what's with the tranny obsession?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭iceworm

looks pretty cool.cant wait 10 mins away. the rail into/out of the quarter bowl looks a bit crazy though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Mr Wilson

what's with the tranny obsession?

Dude, it's a skatepark, not a carpark.

Mr Wilson wrote:
    Dude, it's a skatepark, not a carpark.

true...but trannies are gay ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Mr Wilson

true...but trannies are gay ;-)

Ah - I think I understand your fear. You must have heard one of our American friends talk of 'slamming hard and being bummed about it'. You should not take such statements so literally.

i heard rumours that the plans might be changed again. Maby better

Yes i have heard those rumours too, Shaggy, Derek has asked for the plans not to be posted on any sites for the time being, if you can could you take them down for a while please? Looks like yet another Delay on Building sorry folks!
    Asto

asto wrote:
    Yes i have heard those rumours too, Shaggy, Derek has asked for the plans not to be posted on any sites for the time being, if you can could you take them down for a while please? Looks like yet another Delay on Building sorry folks!
    Asto

Believe me, you get used to it.

Maynooth Newsletter, 1988, "Maynooth to get Skatepark". :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

delays delays delays....always the same old story...what they waiting for? Better weather? :D

so is it true . have you seen theese new plans . are they better?worse . wats wrong with the ones now???:confused:

shut up iceworm i already told u theyre gonna be changed for the better.i was talkijn to shaggy the othere day at that big air yoke and he was sayin it will be finished by the end of the year and the plans will be changed a bit to make it a bit better

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭shagman

Yeah not so sure about it being finished by the end of the year now, there was another meeting during the week but I missed it. I don't seem to be able to edit my post to remove the plans as Derek requested, anyone else (moderator?) able to do it or tell me what to do?

shagman wrote:
    Yeah not so sure about it being finished by the end of the year now, there was another meeting during the week but I missed it. I don't seem to be able to edit my post to remove the plans as Derek requested, anyone else (moderator?) able to do it or tell me what to do?

Can you not just edit the post and delete the link?

asto wrote:
    Can you not just edit the post and delete the link?

You can only edit your own post for around 1 hour after posting it on VB3.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭Cork Skate

MYOB wrote:
    You can only edit your own post for around 1 hour after posting it on VB3.

Yeah ... has to be a MOD now !!

Just a few things ....

Who is actually building it ? What company ... do they have a website ... can you see any previous parks on that site ??

I take it that this is totally outdoor .... would it be pushing it to have a little mini covered over so Irish weather doesn't put a damper on things ??

The drainage in the park (i take it that its concrete) will be OK yeah ... and the surface will be the quick dry one (think its call smooth agregate or something like that) ... anyway ... just as long as that is being considered !!

The heights of the quarters on the sides etc. ... will they be higher that the funbox in the middle, just so you dont end up pushing all day.

Shame that a park this size doesn't have a bowl (instead of the mini i mentioned) ... great fun and could be a missed opportunity.

You are saying that the plans aare being redesigned ... just a suggestion ... that original plan B doesn't seem to cater for varying ages, skills, and obstacles etc. ..... just considering as skaters get older and better they will be using different stuff.

With the new company onboard (if they have experience) all my concerns will be sorted i'd imagine so probably no worries. Just wondering, seeing as they came in afterwards, what level of contribution did they have .... just hope they were given enough scope and allowed add considerations. Sometimes when a project is so far down the planning path, if someone doesn't speak up then an issue/problem could be set in stone as it were !!

Anyway ... it all sounds good ... it aint a minute before time ... but better late than never !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭GoofySkater

The park looks amazing. I cant wait to skate all the banks. And the 5 ft to 6 ft coping. i wanna learn tailslides and bust them up/down it. But I cant wait to skate the banks, there's no good banks in Dublin. Except for tallaght but the ground at the bottom is like sandpaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭fisheye

Cork Skate wrote:
    Who is actually building it ? What company ... do they have a website ... can you see any previous parks on that site ??

I take it that this is totally outdoor .... would it be pushing it to have a little mini covered over so Irish weather doesn't put a damper on things ??

The drainage in the park (i take it that its concrete) will be OK yeah ... and the surface will be the quick dry one (think its call smooth agregate or something like that) ... anyway ... just as long as that is being considered !!

The heights of the quarters on the sides etc. ... will they be higher that the funbox in the middle, just so you dont end up pushing all day.

Shame that a park this size doesn't have a bowl (instead of the mini i mentioned) ... great fun and could be a missed opportunity.

You are saying that the plans aare being redesigned ... just a suggestion ... that original plan B doesn't seem to cater for varying ages, skills, and obstacles etc. ..... just considering as skaters get older and better they will be using different stuff.

With the new company onboard (if they have experience) all my concerns will be sorted i'd imagine so probably no worries. Just wondering, seeing as they came in afterwards, what level of contribution did they have .... just hope they were given enough scope and allowed add considerations. Sometimes when a project is so far down the planning path, if someone doesn't speak up then an issue/problem could be set in stone as it were !!

Anyway ... it all sounds good ... it aint a minute before time ... but better late than never !!

Designed by http://freestyleramps.com/ and I think they'll be supervising the local labour, but I'm not sure about that. One of my friends from Belfast works for them and is the main man involved with the user groups and has been skating for years and definitely knows his ****. Although I've got nothing to do with the park myself, he's told me that the current design is to a budget of around E90-100,000 - I could be mistaken on the exact figures - but that also has to take in insurance costs. Apparently there is some cash set aside for further development should the park prove successful - the original plans with a larger budget did have a bowl alright.

Although we'd all like a larger, faster park, given the chronic insurance/litagation situation in Ireland, this is probably the best possible trade-off at the moment. It's just pretty lame that councillors and other uneducated muppets think insurance, injuries and death as soon as they see a 1/4 pipe of any size - that shouldn't happen with plazas though - steps, banks and ledges and the like which are all naturally occurring in the urban environment.

• Advertisement
Advertisement